HVAC Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HVAC Help

Outside unit is kicking off and on. It froze up a couple weeks ago and had ac guy put some freon in and has been working fine. My wife turned the heat on yesterday and said it was doing this and then it stopped. Wasnt doing it when I got home. Today she noticed it again and turned it off. When I got home the thermostat showed 63 in the house so I turned it on 67 heat and it was cutting on and off as shown in the video. Any ideas? I didnt check but she said it was blowing hot air earlier when she tried it.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Is it a heat pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTinnin View Post
      Is it a heat pump?

Not sure. We have the outside unit and the unit in the attic. How would I find out that info?

Comment

Here is the label on the outside unit

Comment

The unit could be low on freon and have a low pressure cut off switch.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
            The unit could be low on freon and have a low pressure cut off switch.
            The unit in the attic froze up a couple weeks ago due to low freon so we had it topped off then, I wouldnt think its leaking out that quick but who knows. Would low freon cause this if we are running heat and not ac?

Comment

I dont think that compressor should be coming on at all if you are running the heater.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
                I dont think that compressor should be coming on at all if you are running the heater.
                Thats what I was wondering but Im no expert. This is the first house ive lived in with central air and heat and it hasnt given us any issues in the two yrs weve been here.

Comment

It is a heatpump unit R-22 so yes compressor will run during the heat cycle

Hope he used the correct Freon
                  May have over charged it hi pressure switch is auto reset

Comment

Originally posted by airehead View Post
                    It is a heatpump unit R-22
                    If he overcharged it would it have waited this long to start doing this? Im sure he used 22 as it states it on the label but out of curiousity what would happen if it got 410A mixed in there?

Comment

I have basically the same unit, had all kinds of issues and guys working on it. My brother told me to clean the outside unit real good, including taking off the cover and spraying off all sides. Cleaned them with some soap and water and have had no problems since.

Comment

Originally posted by airehead View Post
                        It is a heatpump unit R-22 so yes compressor will run during the heat cycle

What he said. But I would guess low on Freon since it was low before

Comment

You have an Ecotemp Heat Pump. Look on the sticker above and to the right of the AHSI black spot and UL listing. Even though it is not Summer, how long has it been since you cleaned the coil? Is the thermostat in good condition? Check lower pressure switch.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                            I have basically the same unit, had all kinds of issues and guys working on it. My brother told me to clean the outside unit real good, including taking off the cover and spraying off all sides. Cleaned them with some soap and water and have had no problems since.
                            I will try this. Its worth a shot!

Comment

Originally posted by jessBsemple View Post
                              You have an Ecotemp Heat Pump. Look on the sticker above and to the right of the AHSI black spot and UL listing. Even though it is not Summer, how long has it been since you cleaned the coil? Is the thermostat in good condition?
                              I completely missed that on the label, thanks. I sprayed some coil cleaner them about a yr ago roughly but have never deep cleaned them or anything. I do a quick visual from time to time and they always seem to look fine so I just hose it off from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                              X