A/C Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Death

The dreaded call to the A/C repair guy. The one that wasn't working ended up being a simple fuse fix. The other, which has had no issues since it's install date of 1990ish (i was 10) is on its last leg. Its still working but not for long. Is 8K really the price of a new A/C? Who here knows a guy that is family that knows a guy that could give a second opinion? Fort Worth, Texas.

Thanks.

Depends on what your getting for that 8K

Comment

Take at least have of whatever quote they give u is pure profit

Comment

$8k could definitely be the going price depending on what you are getting.

Comment

you can get a system installed for as little as $3500 and all the way up to $20,000 (or higher) depending on what what brand/seer and all the bells and whistles you choose to get with it. What's the details on the system they're pricing you. i have a buddy in the Ft Worth area that can do it cheaper than most.

Comment

It's the second A/C unit and it cools the back master bedroom and bath. 600 sq ft max. It also run gas heat. It wasn't a written quote, it was a quick estimate from the tech on about how much he's seeing for similar jobs. Its still blowing cold but he was shocked it was still working.

Comment

If 8K truly is the price, then so be it. I just did not expect it to be that high for that secondary unit. I was expecting 4-5K. Hence the question. Set me straight TBH!

Comment

Strand Brothers in Austin it would be $10,600

Comment

If it's only cooling/heating 600 sq ft, couldn't you just do a mini split?

Comment

Originally posted by Parramore View Post
                    It's the second A/C unit and it cools the back master bedroom and bath. 600 sq ft max. It also run gas heat. It wasn't a written quote, it was a quick estimate from the tech on about how much he's seeing for similar jobs. Its still blowing cold but he was shocked it was still working.
                    They are always shocked its still working, they don't make money when they're broke

seriously though, to have our unit replaced in a 1700sq ft home, we were quoted ~$6100 in the Houston area. They couldn't believe that the AC was still working and that it was going to have to be replaced ASAP....

The dang thing is only 14 years old....

Comment

Without any ductwork needed, I would say $2500-$3000 per ton plus around $1000 to $1500 labor should get it done and based on your 600sqft that’s 1.5ton. That said there is also the issue of line set replacement if needed and good chance it is since you will be changing from r22 to r410a and often the line sizes are different. If same lines can be used, they will need to be flushed of all oil in those lines since the oil for r22 is not compatible with the oil for 410a. $8000 os probably a bit on the high side. Should be about $6000. Also don’t go high end on the equipment. Just do a builders model complete matched system. The payback for high efficiency units is longer than the typical lifespan of the equipment. Spend the extra money on insulation and higher efficiency windows and such.

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
                        They are always shocked its still working, they don't make money when they're broke

seriously though, to have our unit replaced in a 1700sq ft home, we were quoted ~$6100 in the Houston area. They couldn't believe that the AC was still working and that it was going to have to be replaced ASAP....

The dang thing is only 14 years old....
                        Typical lifespan of ac equipment is 12-15 years. Mainly due to lack of maintenance from the homeowner. Commercial equipment tends to last much longer due to companies having quarterly service contracts

Comment

Just did a 2.5 ton with furnace & 4" filter (trane 16) for $7300 before the latest increase.

Comment

Just replaced mine a couple weeks ago it was $8k. 3ton Amana.

Comment

I run our family A/C company in the Victoria area, that isn't far off of what I would be quoting. Might be a bit on the higher end, but I don't know what brand/efficiency they are quoting. They aren't getting one over on you though.

Comment

Working...
                              X