Missed Bow Opener, It was worth it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missed Bow Opener, It was worth it.

For the first time in nearly 15 years I wasn't situated up in a tree fighting the heat and mosquitoes that dominate Southeast Texas. Two Sunday's ago I was finishing up alligator season. I had left my phone in the truck and when I got back to it I had a few missed calls and a couple text's asking to call back immediately. For a second my mind switched to something bad had happened. So as I made my way to the alligator processor, I called my friend back. He asked what I had going on the upcoming week and I explained the same as usual, working. He asked if there was anyway I could "sneak away" for the week, he had an opportunity that I wouldn't want to pass up. The elk were rutting and he wanted me to have an opportunity to chase a bull with my bow. I made the 12+hour drive the next day.

We hunted hard for 3 days and on the evening of the 3rd day we called this bull into 12 yards. He spooked but was able to stop him long enough with a cow call at 22 yards to send a rage through his shoulder. He didn't make it 30 yards after the shot and was down for the count. This is my first elk and was able to do it free range, on 30k acres with my bow. His left eye was gouged and torn from fighting and his left whale tail/backscratcher/beam was broken and appeared to be missing at least 10-12 inches judging from the mass of where it was broken. The broken portion was covered in blood/meat/hair from another bull. He also had busted a 4-5 inch section of his right G4. He still taped out at 339 6/8's.

I am now spoiled and ruined when it comes to elk hunting, but also absolutely hooked on it.
    Attached Files

Dude, thats a stud! Congrats Amigo!

Comment

Dang, that’s a great bull, congrats!!

Comment

Booyah!!!!! I lun it!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow! Congrats!

Comment

Great bull!

Comment

A huge congratulations again my friend; what a trophy!

Rwc

Comment

Wowsers!

Comment

I would give up all of October to get an elk with a bow

Congrats and good decision

Comment

Great bull, makes you wonder what the other bull looks like !

Comment

That's cool!! What a blessing to be able to take off and go chase an elk! Dreams are made of that.

Comment

Way to get it done!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh, heck yeah! That's a stud of a bull. Is this a TX elk? Cause that'd be even cooler.

Comment

look at the branches on that thing!!!

Comment

I've been elk hunting many a time and hard hunts at that
                              Sometimes right place right time is all you need.........OR a good friend like you have that has primo access and the knowledge of calling em in lol
                              Nice bull man!

Comment

Working...
                              X