Pool pump went out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pool pump went out

We have had a pump on order for a few months knowing ours was on its last leg. Ten days ago the pump went out. The pool guy said he could just replace the dry and wet side . What he didn’t say was our current drive was outdated and wouldn’t run the new pump. We have pentair easy touch system. It is older and the old drive won’t run the pump. I can’t find a 3hp complete pump under 3500. I also can’t find a newer style drive for under 1600 which is over double the normal cost. Does anyone run a hayword pump on a pentair system ?

Nope but I feel your pain. Just dropped a lot of $$& on a new filter, salt cell, and multiport valve.

Comment

Feel your pain brother

I also have a pool and hate that SOB.

always something gotta be repaired, replaced, or updated.

Comment

I feel ya…. Just replaced one of the pump motors. Twice the $ as 3 years ago when I replaced it. The filter pot has a crack in the fiberglass. Tried to repair it…. Not happening. There’s another $1-2k down the drain.

Comment

Wow! They sure look fun though! I’m staying as far away from a pool as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            Feel your pain brother

Isn’t that the truth. I haven’t been in mine for at least seven years. I’d love to backfill it.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
              We have had a pump on order for a few months knowing ours was on its last leg. Ten days ago the pump went out. The pool guy said he could just replace the dry and wet side . What he didn’t say was our current drive was outdated and wouldn’t run the new pump. We have pentair easy touch system. It is older and the old drive won’t run the pump. I can’t find a 3hp complete pump under 3500. I also can’t find a newer style drive for under 1600 which is over double the normal cost. Does anyone run a hayword pump on a pentair system ?
              I am not a pool guy but have an account with a large pool supply distributor. Do you have part numbers for what you are looking for and I can see if they happen to have any?

Comment

I had the same problem few months ago. 3hp pump seems like not available at all, or it’s too expensive to get.
                I went to Amazon, got a 2-1/2 hp pool pump that fit.
                It works like a champ so far.

It’s below $300, worth a try!

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                  Feel your pain brother

This is why i demoed mine and back filled. Hole in the ground you throw money in.

Comment

Catfish pond.

Comment

My only advice is to knock a hole in the bottom of the pool before you fill it in.

Comment

I wish I could just fill it but it’s the lodge pool at a ranch I manage. Been a pain for the past year.

Comment

I have a Hayward. It's 3YO. The only issue I have had is with the freeze protect, which essentially no longer works.

Comment

I'm not buying what your pool guy is selling. Find a good warehouse type retailer that can order a motor with the proper shaft configuration you need.

Is there a tag on the motor with a pn? If so, bypass the pool guy.

Worst case, can your motor be rebuilt? I know that's more down time but it's an option.

Are you running a couple of choline floaters to keep the water clear? It will mean less work on the back side.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Friendly and respectful suggestion.

Try to keep your pools and the operating system simple.

I run and maintain a 20 yr old pool with a 1st generation chlorinator. Filter catridges, 2 pumps, heater, and in wall pool cleaner.

I maintain everything myself. Never added variable speed pumps, no remote system controls, no updated chlorinator, no added automation chemical controls. Wash and rinse filters once a year or when needed. Replace a pump motor when needed (about every 5-7 years). It's really easy.

Neighbor updates everything all the time and pays for pool services. It's always an issue with something.

I see it as similar as keeping a std V8 engine running as dependable vs depending on todays latest hybrids or electrics.

Comment

Working...
                              X