Pit grill rusty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit grill rusty

Havent used my wood burning pit in quite a while. The grill inside got REAL rusty. What would be the best way to get the rust off, without having to sand blast it? Maybe just build a good fire and grease it down and let it burn off? Then hit with a wire brush? What would be best idea?

That's what I would do. Interested in hearing others thoughts as well.

Comment

yep, I think you are on the right track. get that thing rolling hot, wire brush, and then maybe coat the inside with oil. Wire brush on the cooking racks.

Comment

Stainless wire brush on a grinder will clean it up!

Comment

man, going from wayyyy back,, my Abuelo, always fired it up and there was nothing half an onion and half a lemon would and could clean off the grill grate... i do this to this day

Comment

Crisco corn oil or gool ol Crisco lard? Just smear it on the grill? All over the inside?

Comment

found this

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                man, going from wayyyy back,, my Abuelo, always fired it up and there was nothing half an onion and half a lemon would and could clean off the grill grate... i do this to this day
                The half an onion thing works.

Comment

Heat it, scrape it and brush it down. Then I usually heat it up and spray it down with some cooking oil to help seal it off between uses.

Comment

i will swear by the use of Lemon and Onion... the spay down afterwards dang sure wont hurt, to keep from getting rusty again

Comment

Need to get this done on my grill too, thanks for posting suggestions and info.

Comment

I had the same issue a couple years ago. I was told to soak the grate in vinegar and salt for 24 hours. Take it out and brush any remaining rust off with a wire brush or wire wheel. Coat it with oil and cook on it.

Comment

Working...
                        X