Cuddeback cameras with solar panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cuddeback cameras with solar panel

anyone using cuddeback cameras with the solar panels?

i splurged and got panels with my new cameras, and this is my first time using a solar panel on a camera. based on what i see happening to feeder motors even when they are inside a critter cage, does anyone have any insite about the power cable going from the panel to the camera? anyone ever had a problem with critters messing with or damaging the power cable?

usually when it comes to the cables it's squirrels that do the most damage. I usually try to put them in some sort of conduit. you can find stuff at lowes or home depot that will work for conduit for the wires.

Comment

Running solar panel on a regular camera or wireless?

I have them on all my wireless cameras but regular cameras get 2-4 months of life on 30 sec delay

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanTX View Post
        anyone using cuddeback cameras with the solar panels?

i splurged and got panels with my new cameras, and this is my first time using a solar panel on a camera. based on what i see happening to feeder motors even when they are inside a critter cage, does anyone have any insite about the power cable going from the panel to the camera? anyone ever had a problem with critters messing with or damaging the power cable?
        They have changed the cable, so the newer one may be better, but the old one was like candy to deer. I'll bet a few of our deer are still crapping copper and plastic.

Comment

The newer cables have a semi-metallic braid. Not enough to deter squirrels, raccoons, deer, cows IMHO. Heading out there this weekend to replace several cables.

please excuse brevity and dictation errors.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            Running solar panel on a regular camera or wireless?

I have them on all my wireless cameras but regular cameras get 2-4 months of life on 30 sec delay
            i got one for each cameras, cell or regular. i decided no more unscheduled battery changes, since my lease is out of state.

so i usually prefer to t-post mount, but my lease is a cattle farm, so on the lease i usually end up putting them higher up on a tree, when then puts me at peril of squirrels or birds screwing with the cable. ive just never had a panel before so ive never had to consider how to protect the wire.
            Last edited by JonathanTX; 01-08-2021, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I’m going to follow your success/failure with this because I am going to be doing a solar panel with battery for a couple brownings at the family place this year. I’d rather not have to use metal shielding, but that’s always a thought.

Comment

so far they are all deployed and working as advertised. so far i am impressed with their performance. ill try to remember to post issues or successes.

also, the solar panels claim to not need direct sunlight, but can stay charged from ambient light, we will see. i picked spots with at least some view of the sky, but the sun definitely wont be there all year (if even at all, when the foliage returns).

Comment

Working...
                X