2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    I'm trying to listen to your harvest season take but I can't seem to hear anything will all these fish in my ear....

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Nice stringer! Hopefully you’ll get more in the surf this year. I’ll go after real fish though many miles from land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
      I followed it a little, didn’t have much time to contribute myself that year. I guess it’s just me and the younger generation that wants to help out the fish after this bad situation. Jump over on Instagram and check out speckled truth and the Release2021 movement. The following and support for it is huge, hopefully it might shed some light on where I come from.

Serious question, do you think the state would ever return the limits to what they are after they reduced them to zero? Do you trust the government?

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
        Serious question, do you think the state would ever return the limits to what they are after they reduced them to zero? Do you trust the government?

In the situation I have been explaining the limit would be zero for certain times periods of the year and then normal harvests as now for the rest. Not a permanent zero, so there would be no need to return to what we have now. I never wanted or said I was in favor of a complete zero.

Comment

Sure the small fish do more spawning but it takes big fish to make big fish. Not all fish reach upper 20’s because just like whitetail it takes certain genes and conditions get there. Regulating it would help get them to that point. Again, just my thoughts on the situation.
          All wrong. Speckled trout are not whitetail deer. This line of thinking is completely incorrect. Sorry man. It just is.

My point on red snapper is that if managed properly you could open them up to recreational harvest by sportsmen 365 days a year and you'd never have a shortage. They have not been and are not now properly managed. There is no reason at all why snapper need a recreational harvest season.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
            All wrong. Speckled trout are not whitetail deer. This line of thinking is completely incorrect. Sorry man. It just is.

My point on red snapper is that if managed properly you could open them up to recreational harvest by sportsmen 365 days a year and you'd never have a shortage. They have not been and are not now properly managed. There is no reason at all why snapper need a recreational harvest season.

I’d like to hear your thoughts on the trout and whitetail deer if you’d like to elaborate. In every species on this planet some individuals in that species grow larger than others, it’s solely up to the genetics and other environmental factors that animal encounters. It’s accurate all across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
              I will adhere to whatever regulations the state proposes. I will only keep a few trout at times I would like to have a fish fry with my family. But I’ll be dammed if I am going to feel guilty for cleaning a few fish on my dock in POC. Y’all stop by and have a beer and watch. [emoji51]

I got away from freezing fish years ago. I only keep what I can eat fresh.

Thanks for letting us know you have a dock in POC

Comment

Glenn, any reports from Matagorda today? Are fish starting to float?

Comment

Ok look, you need to sit down and have some conversations with our fisheries biologists or something. I've been through this over and over again through the years. I've attended TPWD meetings, sat through all the data presentations, read everything I can get my hands on about our fishery. They will tell you point blank that you don't manage speckled trout like you manage whitetail deer or largemouth bass. If you want more big fish you release more mid-sized fish and harvest more lower slot fish. Not because the big ones are passing on superior genes, but simply because they won't get big if we put them in a cooler full of ice. It has nothing to do with passing on superior genetics. Every trout gets to pass on it's genetics until it is 15". A very, very, very small fraction of a percent will grow to be a trophy.

I'm sorry but the points you make are just flawed. I'm not going to argue with you. You mean well and you care about the resource and that is great. Obviously you have really strong views, flawed as they are. You are entitled to them, even though you are wrong. I'm going to leave it at that. My info and my opinion is based on what I have learned from the people who have managed and studied the fishery for many years. What they do is research based and it gave us the best speckled trout fishery in the country. We need to keep doing exactly what we were doing before and then just keep fostering a conservation mindset. Release what you don't need. Release those mid-sized to upper end trout to let them have a chance to get big and eat the smaller ones. That is the recipe for success.

If you want to release fish, release fish. There is never going to be a negative impact from more catch and release. I am not against all the guys on facebook and instagram who are wanting to do more catch and release, release over 21, etc. That is great and I applaud them for caring enough to do it. We are way behind other fisheries in the move towards catch and release. I hope this helps it to catch on. At the same time I am not going to hate someone for keeping enough fish for dinner. Even now. Keep what you need and release the rest. It really is that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Black View Post
                    Glenn, any reports from Matagorda today? Are fish starting to float?
                    Nothing new.

Comment

I’d like to hear your thoughts on the trout and whitetail deer if you’d like to elaborate. In every species on this planet some individuals in that species grow larger than others, it’s solely up to the genetics and other environmental factors that animal encounters. It’s accurate all across the board.

So you’re suggesting that culling works in whitetail management and should also be a management tool in trout fisheries? Similar to the catch and release practice that most of us already implement?

Comment

Ok look, you need to sit down and have some conversations with our fisheries biologists or something. I've been through this over and over again through the years. I've attended TPWD meetings, sat through all the data presentations, read everything I can get my hands on about our fishery. They will tell you point blank that you don't manage speckled trout like you manage whitetail deer or largemouth bass. If you want more big fish you release more mid-sized fish and harvest more lower slot fish. Not because the big ones are passing on superior genes, but simply because they won't get big if we put them in a cooler full of ice. It has nothing to do with passing on superior genetics. Every trout gets to pass on it's genetics until it is 15". A very, very, very small fraction of a percent will grow to be a trophy.

I'm sorry but the points you make are just flawed. I'm not going to argue with you. You mean well and you care about the resource and that is great. Obviously you have really strong views, flawed as they are. You are entitled to them, even though you are wrong. I'm going to leave it at that. My info and my opinion is based on what I have learned from the people who have managed and studied the fishery for many years. What they do is research based and it gave us the best speckled trout fishery in the country. We need to keep doing exactly what we were doing before and then just keep fostering a conservation mindset. Release what you don't need. Release those mid-sized to upper end trout to let them have a chance to get big and eat the smaller ones. That is the recipe for success.

If you want to release fish, release fish. There is never going to be a negative impact from more catch and release. I am not against all the guys on facebook and instagram who are wanting to do more catch and release, release over 21, etc. That is great and I applaud them for caring enough to do it. We are way behind other fisheries in the move towards catch and release. I hope this helps it to catch on. At the same time I am not going to hate someone for keeping enough fish for dinner. Even now. Keep what you need and release the rest. It really is that simple.
                        Spot on! I primarily target those big fish in the winter and spring. Never seen a reason to eat them. We do eat a lot in the 16-17 range though. Still waiting to hear how Mansfield has faired.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Black View Post
                          Thanks for letting us know you have a dock in POC

I’ll drop you a pin. Come on.

Comment

Excellent post.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                              So you’re suggesting that culling works in whitetail management and should also be a management tool in trout fisheries? Similar to the catch and release practice that most of us already implement?
                              And again the culling of deer comparison doesn't work with trout. You can't look at a trout and decide if it's going to have trophy potential or not. You just release them all or all over a certain size and you hope that a few of them have what it takes and survive long enough to grow big. Trout management is purely a numbers game.

There is a strong argument that culling deer with a rifle really doesn't do anything but maybe get you more deer to kill and to take some mouths off the land. You can't cull does based on horn characteristics that they throw. You can't change your genetics with a gun. Not unless you are using it to kill them all and start over with reintroduced genetics. So even if you compare releasing fish with culling deer you may be comparing it to a flawed principle. But that is a whole 'nother internet argument.

Comment

If I can catch a trout they're obviously stupid and need to cull them out of the gene pool.

Comment

Working...
                                X