• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some great work ^^^^^^

today and saturday will be my 6th year of throw n mow

Disc /tiller now reserved for firebreaks when conducting burns

bill

Comment

We planted 2 acres in Fannin county this way in early September. I’m hoping to get out there in a couple of weeks and see is it is progressing.
      Are you planting the beans the same way, or drilling them in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I drilled the peas in late April

Comment

Looking great! We are in Menard county and have been broadcasting, mowing, and cultipacking our fall plots and they have done well the past two years. We haven’t done a spring or summer plot out there bc it’s typically Too dry. Keep up the great work!

Comment

I’ll try and load pics from this weekend. Planted 25 acres of food plots in throckmorton this weekend for some friends. This was second year of this method. Need some rain there

Comment

So you are not spraying to kill vegetation first?

I have never just broadcast and shredded. Curious.

I sprayed all my plot areas with GLY on Saturday and hope to get a good kill off. Then grain drill and shred the dead stuff I sprayed

Comment

The burning question for me is why the hogs arent in that plot the very night you seed. That’s what happened to me both times I tried TnM. They ate virtually every grain of wheat that was on the ground. The pea vines were rooted up into piles. I walked the plots and could not find a single grain of wheat. I have now resorted to what I call minimal tillage. Just open the disc gangs enough to make a bunch of 1” to 1.5” grooves, plant, fertilize, drag. I get great crops with minimal soil disturbance. I wish I could TnM, it would speed things up a lot and provide some natural moisture from the thatch. I still get the organic benefits from the thatch because it’s still decaying in the soil, but my deer usually eat more of my peas than what you pictured. I have limited acreage toplant so I don’t have as much space to plant. Yours look great !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  The burning question for me is why the hogs arent in that plot the very night you seed. That’s what happened to me both times I tried TnM. They ate virtually every grain of wheat that was on the ground. The pea vines were rooted up into piles. I walked the plots and could not find a single grain of wheat. I have now resorted to what I call minimal tillage. Just open the disc gangs enough to make a bunch of 1” to 1.5” grooves, plant, fertilize, drag. I get great crops with minimal soil disturbance. I wish I could TnM, it would speed things up a lot and provide some natural moisture from the thatch. I still get the organic benefits from the thatch because it’s still decaying in the soil, but my deer usually eat more of my peas than what you pictured. I have limited acreage toplant so I don’t have as much space to plant. Yours look great !
                  My deer would kill my peas planted the traditional way. They were drawn to them too soon. This method “I think” is allowing me to sneak past them cause I’m not plowing dirt. Giving my peas a huge head start.... (got perfect rain early in too)

Hogs eat lots of mine, and I have to thermal poison a bunch of them

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    So you are not spraying to kill vegetation first?

I have never just broadcast and shredded. Curious.

I sprayed all my plot areas with GLY on Saturday and hope to get a good kill off. Then grain drill and shred the dead stuff I sprayed
                    Your doing it right. This is first time I didn’t have to spray. What I had was a very attractive plot anyway. No grass and weeds. I didn’t care if I didn’t kill it, but had to thin it for sunlight reasons

Comment

Put in 25 acres in throckmorton this weekend. Plots were shredded sept 1. Still had good dead thatch in most. Drilled on top of that Saturday. Then retooled for Sunday and sprayed them with gly

Also did a test plot with sunflowers, same way.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Let me ask you a question:

WHy not spray with Gly first and then drain drill and shred over to give the seed a little extra covering for any seeds on top of the soil?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          Let me ask you a question:

WHy not spray with Gly first and then drain drill and shred over to give the seed a little extra covering for any seeds on top of the soil?
                          That’s what I would prefer every time. They shredded this plot....cause they wanted to do something basically. It’s wasn’t y’all enough to shred and I wasn’t driving 5 hrs again that plant. So I drilled into the month old thatch and sprayed everything to kill competition

Comment

This is interesting, definitely going to follow along. I have a place north of Sulphur Springs that I'm going to try and build a couple smaller plots on but don't have a disc so I might try these methods. Plus there are two substantial easements, pipeline/powerline, that I could try this method right away. They are pretty overgrown with grasses right now though.

Comment

2 week progress. Tipping the peas worked great. I kept most of them and allowed enough sunlight in to kick off the brassicas and grains good!

4”-6” growth on grains and great coverage too
                              Attached Files

Comment

I see a good thatch layer in the pic above. That is from spraying or the dead peas you cut?

Comment

Working...
                                X