Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Your Thoughts About “Doe Days”?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Are Your Thoughts About “Doe Days”?

Below is a proposal from TPWD. I would like to hear some opinions on the topic.

Texas Parks and Wildlife (TPWD) is considering implementing a 4-day antlerless season across much of the District 7 area. The earliest this regulation might occur would be the 2019-2020 hunting season. This article will provide the information on the counties under consideration (CUC), current antlerless seasons throughout the state, historical seasons within these counties, and biological reasons why the 4-day antlerless season is being proposed.

Currently, the CUC would include all of the following counties: Austin, Bastrop, Caldwell, Colorado, Dewitt, Fayette, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Karnes, Lavaca, Lee, Waller, Washington, and Wilson.
    In addition to these counties, Goliad, Jackson, Victoria, and Wharton counties north of U.S. Highway 59 and Comal, Hays, and Travis east of IH-35.

Currently, the proposed 4-day antlerless season would start on the Thursday of Thanksgiving and finish the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The bag limits would remain at 2 antlerless deer (like it currently is for archery season). On properties that have been issued Managed Lands Deer Permits (MLDP), permits would have to be used during the 4-day season and would not be an ‘additional’ harvest.

One potential requirement would be the mandatory reporting of doe harvested during this 4-day antlerless season. This would give TPWD good data on how many does were being harvested outside the MLDP issuance and allow for better monitoring of the population. Since annual harvest reporting is already required for MLDP cooperators, this aspect would extend to all antlerless deer harvested and tagged with a hunting license tag.

Already do this in several counties. Works well. Not nearly enough does are harvested in general IMHO.

Comment

Better than no days at all. Lots of counties have gone to this over the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
        Already do this in several counties. Works well. Not nearly enough does are harvested in general IMHO.
        Agree with this. They should open up more days for doe harvest. More people need to shoot does. It's good for the herd overall.

Comment

It may hurt the coops that hand out doe permits. It may also hurt/wipe out the deer populations in areas that are mostly open with small strips of brush along creeks. Some of these areas never had deer before and now grow some pretty nice bucks.

Also, don't like the idea of a small property with 5 hunters being able to take 10 does..etc.

I guess I'm against it or don't see the reason for it? It's not like we have an excessive deer population. If anything, give the youth 2 doe tags during early season.

Comment

Just so I am clear the intent on removing doe's from the majority of general season was that it would increase the population of deer in that county? That is the only reason correct?

Comment

When they had an open season on does around franklin they decimated the number of does but the bucks that have come back in recent years have been studs. I think more doe tags should be handed out in certain areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love it in Navarro Co. They need the buck season closed for a year and harvest does only here to up the age structure in the bucks but it will never happen so I can live with doe days.

Comment

Would like it for our part of Lavaca Co.

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
                    Would like it for our part of Lavaca Co.

With you on this one as well.

Comment

I like it. I am over run with does in Seguin.

Comment

In my opinion, and I am only speaking for my experiences in Washington, Fayette and Colorado, having a 4-day 2 doe harvest is unsustainable in the long run. This was tried in 90-92, and the population was hurt severely. It has taken almost 26 years to propose doe harvest again. In the meantime, land has become more fragmented. I think it is a bad idea. I talked to the area biologist and he seems to think the impact will be minimal and I disagree. Oh well. They seem to think mandatory reporting will hold people back. I disagree. I would prefer no doe days in the counties of wash, fayette, austin and Colorado. At best a limit of 1 doe for a couple years and see if thee is an impact.

Just my two cents...

Comment

I'm not sure it would be good for our part of Colorado County. We are just getting to the point where you can see deer on a regular basis. I don't think we are overrun with doe.

Comment

This would kill our Bastrop county place. We are home to at most 5-6 does a year. After two years of this rule, there wouldn't be a doe in sight.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                              I'm not sure it would be good for our part of Colorado County. We are just getting to the point where you can see deer on a regular basis. I don't think we are overrun with doe.
                              Colorado county public comment meeting about this is tonight at 630 I believe at the Colorado county ems Building.

Comment

Working...
                              X