Arrow set up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow set up question

I’ve got my Easton axis 5mm arrows set up with 125 grain field tips right now to start paper tuning. I’m trying to figure out which way to go with broadheads and have settled on some flavor of iron wills. My question is, should I just go with a 125 grain iron will? Or should I go with a 100 grain head with a 25 grain impact collar? Are the impact collars necessary to prevent arrow damage?

Save some dough and forget the iron wills, get you some QAD Exodus, Slick Tricks, or G5s 125 grain.

Comment

I shoot the Easton axis and 125 grain G5 strikers. I have the half out inserts at 75 grains. Don't recommend half out inserts, they bend easy. Next time I will go with 50 grain inserts and 25 grain collar. This is what my wife is shooting. I did just make her up some cheaper SPT axis arrows with full 75 grain insert for target and pigs.

Comment

Necessary, no but….. Personally, every arrow I’ve shot a animal with without a collar the end of the axis has mushroomed out from the impact; I just resquare the ends and keep rollin. Either go the 100 with collar, or cheaper option is get the Easton BAR and roll with 125 iron wills

Comment

Does the Easton BAR need to be glued on, or is it flanged and held on by the broadhead?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackdirtCowboy View Post
            Does the Easton BAR need to be glued on, or is it flanged and held on by the broadhead?
            Held on by broadhead. They do work. I think the Iron Will collar is a definite upgrade but for the price I'm not a fan. A buddy of mine whacked the iron buck at TAC last year with BEA Rampages running the iron will system... it drove the insert about 6 inches down the arrow shaft and the iron will collar looked like a blown up cigar.

Comment

Why not find a different arrow if you have to put a collar on to protect it?

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post

I think he’s already got the axis arrows setup, and BARs are fairly cheap.

I hate doing new setups this close to the season, personally.

Comment

I don't think they are necessary personally. The only 5mm I've had mushroom was FMJs. If you're concerned about it the BARs are a cheap option or pony up and get the iron will collar.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post

I hate doing new setups this close to the season, personally.
                    Me too. But I just decided to try and start hunting with a bow a month ago. I may not even bow hunt this year if I can’t get it all dialed in. May just stick to a rifle until next year.

Comment

I’d just roll with the 125g head. I’ve shot many animals with the 5mm Axis with HIT inserts and never had one mushroom. I’ll admit I didn’t go rock hunting though, but did break plenty of bones. The IW collars are nice they do help with splitting out, but unlikely to be needed on deer.

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
                        Its best to protect all arrows shafts. With the insert, with a collar, with a larger broadhead ferrule, with a slighty oversized field point…whereas arrow momentum is more focused with a smaller more impactful ferrule, broadhead or field point. Potentially leading to deeper penetration or more damage if errant impact.

Ive been gifted a slew of axis shafts split all as previously described. Not split by me. I seem to channel an archery pack rat that wont leave my garage.

This discussion has helped make my mind that HIT and splitting shafts aint my bag. Collared protects the ends.

MrCowboy, I killed my first archery buck shooting left handed from a 30yo right handed bow picked up a month before killing with it. You got this. No problem.

Good skilling. I look forward to the LDPs.
                        Last edited by Briar Friar; 09-20-2022, 11:09 PM. Reason: NoHITSpake

Comment

Working...
                        X