Elk Outfitter/Guide Info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's say your wife said "Hey, in a couple years you will be turning 50 and it will also be our 20th anniversary. Let's do something BIG. Let's go on an elk hunt!"

She will need to hunt with a rifle. Bow for me. A DIY hunt is not an option. Decent accommodations are a plus. Just MIGHT be able to talk her into a nice "camp" type deal. We don't need 400" bulls, but 300" or so would probably be the minimum. High success %. She would prefer New Mexico since it is the closest, but definitely open to other states. Do any of the states offer bow and rifle at the same time? Private land or public doesn't matter. I know it will cost some $$$, but not looking to spend $15K/ea.

Got any recommendations? And have any of y'all shot an elk with a 25-06 (she can shoot it dang good)?

Thanks in advance. Just wanted to get a jump on getting this thing planned.

Jicarilla off Rez land (chama land and cattle company) in chama would fit your bill. Not 15 but 11-12 a piece though. Minimum I would take is 7mm-08 with an accubond and under 300 yards with that caliber. You’ll get all kinds of responses on caliber though.

Comment

Good luck, Chance! I am no help but if my wife made that statement, I would want to know how long she’s been cheating on me!

Comment

I thought about the Jicarilla but thought it would be $15K+. I’ve got a 308 she can shoot, but she really likes her 25-06.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          Good luck, Chance! I am no help but if my wife made that statement, I would want to know how long she’s been cheating on me!
          Heck, she wants to go elk hunting…the reason doesn’t matter!

Comment

I think a 25-06 would work but a bit marginal. Best shoot a very well built bullet. Like an accubond or ttsx. I would lean toward the 308. I’m not sure what all places are out there that you can bow hunt and rifle hunt early in the season. I sure would want a September or very early October hunt if trying with a bow. Might look at some of the ranching for wildlife places in Colorado or landowner tags with guide. What is the budget?

Comment

Splitting the hunt between rifle and archery would be the tricky part of this trip. Not many places where rifle is legal at the same time as archery season. Something to consider is an outfitted hunt in Montana in an area where rifle season starts the 15th of sept. I know there are some wilderness areas in the state that offer rifle rut dates but I’m unfamiliar with any outfitters that hunt those units. It would be worth checking the Montana regs to see which units open for rifle mid sept

Comment

Sounds like an awesome anniversary / birthday combination to me

Comment

My wife and I went to Fishtail Ranch and had a great time.

Comment

Have you thought about an estate hunt(high fence) with a nice lodge? I think it’s gonna be close to impossible to find a rifle/archery combo with a high success rate and minimum 300” bulls plus a nice place to stay. You definitely want to hunt September/early October with your bow.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                      Splitting the hunt between rifle and archery would be the tricky part of this trip. Not many places where rifle is legal at the same time as archery season. Something to consider is an outfitted hunt in Montana in an area where rifle season starts the 15th of sept. I know there are some wilderness areas in the state that offer rifle rut dates but I’m unfamiliar with any outfitters that hunt those units. It would be worth checking the Montana regs to see which units open for rifle mid sept
                      Private land in New Mexico can accommodate rifle and archery at the same time. We do it on occasion for specific groups.

Chance

PM me if you want some options or details.

Comment

I’d be call the reservations.

Comment

Check out Wagonhound in Wyoming…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't use a 25-06 personally. They are tough. Think 600 lb wild hog. I will say I had an old friend who killed almost 20 elk with a .243. he only took base of the neck shots and got pretty close on most of his shots. I personally would see a 30-06 as bare minimum. 7 mag or .300 mag even better. All three of mine have fallen to a .300 weatherby.

Comment

If she shoots the 25.06 well, and you use a good bullet it will be fine. I have shot 4 elk with my .257 Weatherby and it does great.

Comment

Working...
                              X