Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanting a mentor to show me ropes!! Might be a long shot but worst thing is no reply.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting a mentor to show me ropes!! Might be a long shot but worst thing is no reply.

Hello to whoever decides to click on this post. Recently new to the community. I’ve only purchased things off classifieds. Looking for someone to give me some pointers or show me the ropes with bow hunting only been shooting for about four months now but really enjoy it. It’s definitely a new addiction but a healthy one. I was a heroin attic for many years in my life. I finally have three years clean which is the longest I’ve had things are going great. Fiancé and looking to buy a house. Anyhow that’s just a little bit about me I shoot a Matthews and bought my fiancé a Mission by Mathews. I love someone to point me in the direction of hunting would love to be able to get into some Whitetail this year if possible. I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area willing to travel within reason I do have weekends off and can try to take additional time when need be. I would also be willing to help some farmers out or learn to shoot on a live animal by taking out some hogs if that’s possible. Not really sure what else to put but feel free to ask any questions thanks for anyone who replies. I’m 35 the bow I bought was used but barely used it’s Matthews Halon 32 with a 6 inch brace height lost camo I put vapor trail strings on came with a Tommy Hogg spot Hogg 3 pin qad rest tight spot quiver. 6 Mathews stabilizer in front and just started running 8 inch back bar. I’m not completely illiterate on the Bose. I’ve done plenty of research as far as YouTube videos etc. plenty of John deadly and many many different podcasts. As well as going to all the local archery shops around me including Alvaredo archery on target archery in Canton and where I bought my bow in Fort Worth. I shoot a thumb button I’m sure I could better my target panic and pinching the button. Bought camo on here wanting to use it this season. Not rich but can pay if price is right. Would also like to bring my girl along Thanks so much reading. Russell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Russell. Congrats on recovery. Im not close and can only offer up to find a local church with an active mens ministry. There are bound to be some Bowhunters in there.

Comment

Welcome to the campfire! You can probably learn all you need to know right here by asking questions. You're off to a great start with that bow. My son has one and though he's had the opportunity to upgrade, he won't. He loves that bow.

You're doing all the right things with your research. Much of what you learn will be opinion and not requirement. You'll soon learn to sort through all of it to get the information you need.

I can't help with a place to hunt but I'm sure some folks around here can get you started with public land suggestions, etc. Hog hunting is a great way to hone the skills and you can typically get opportunities at them on public land or affordable day leases.

If you want to complete your arsenal, or at least get more "hunt-ready", I'd look into a decent tent blind that you can set up for hunting. They're pretty portable and do everything you need them to as far as field concealment goes.

I hope this helps and I think the thread will get some good responses. Keep asking questions!

Comment

Welcome! I'd also recommend any researching 3-D shoots and Local Archery Clubs. It's a great way to hone your skills and build contacts.

Aim Small

Comment

Welcome to the fire & congrats on the recovery!
          Bout lost me at Mathews, lol.
          PM me your lease budget & pic of said girlfriend and I'll see what I can do.

Just kidding. Or kidding bout 1/2 of that.

I'd look into hogs around Ray Robert's (type 2) or COE land around Texoma (TX & OK) for deer & pigs.
          Then beat the streets for a possible lease in the future.

Best of luck.

D.

Comment

Welcome Russell. My suggestion is to find a 3D shoot somewhere close this spring or summer or 3D target range this is a great place to practice and meet other bow hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
              Welcome Russell. My suggestion is to find a 3D shoot somewhere close this spring or summer or 3D target range this is a great place to practice and meet other bow hunters.
              I said it first so I win!

Comment

Im available to answer questions. And may be able to help next season. Send me a pm for my number.

Comment

Welcome to TBH!! and Congrats on getting clean.

Comment

I am 2 hours south of you and willing to help anyway I can. I have a little bit of experience getting people started shooting a bow. I owned an Archery shop for 10 years and have been shooting a bow since 1972. Welcome to TBH!

Comment

Congratulations on your recovery! You came to the right place. If I hear of any hunting places I will let you know. God Bless!

Comment

Welcome to the campfire! You'll find plenty of info on here and lots of good people.

Comment

Originally posted by Avid Hunter View Post
                          I said it first so I win!
                          I should read instead of type!

Comment

Appreciate all of your responses. I encouraged him to ask for a Mentor. I had a feeling he would get responses .... y'all are the best!

Comment

Welcome to the fire! Congratulations on being clean. Your on the right track. Keep asking questions and the above advise is good. Find 3D shoots and public land for a start. I think you will find a place to go shoot some pigs soon. There are some great folks on here. Keep it simple and keep practicing. Good luck! If I hear of anything I will sure think of you and pass along any hunting opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                              X