Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-03-2022, 09:36 AM   #1
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County
Default 2022 Workout accountability...

Okey dokey guys and gals, time to start posting in the 2022 thread.

2021 ended with a bang and 2022 started with a bang. I haven't been to he gym since last Wednesday. Wife tested positive for Covid on Thursday so it look like I'll be out for a couple more days. Dangit!
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #2
01milburnsc
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Land

I'll get in on this!

Stepped up my game before Christmas to maintain through he holiday feasts. Plus, going to pour myself back into archery and continue with the goals I had before the wife and kids.

Planning to shoot TAC and get in shape for future Elk trips.
01milburnsc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2022, 01:06 PM   #3
TexasRough1256
Ten Point

Hunt In: Centerville, SE TX

I’ve started on the right foot. My plan this year is to get on the treadmill min of 20 mins everyday.. hoping that will get me in the routine to progress more and get some of this Christmas belly off!
TexasRough1256 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2022, 01:42 PM   #4
TexasBob
Pope & Young

I failed in 2021, hoping this is the year to get back to being fit. Been downhill for me for a while, big time since 2020.
TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2022, 03:43 PM   #5
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

As someone who hated working out I decided at 40 to try something out of my comfort zone and went all in on triathlon. I loved it and dropped 40 pounds and was in the best shape of my life training for Ironman 70.3 Waco which was set for October 2021. In August 2021 I hit a red tailed hawk going 20 mph on my bike and destroyed my knee, shoulder and hand. I'm now three months post hand surgery and one month post shoulder surgery. I am training for Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga set for May 2022.

I started training last week. I can't swim but I feel like I kept a lot of fitness through these surgeries. I ran 26 miles and biked 51 miles last week. I have some major PTSD on the bike but that will wear off in time. Time to get after it!
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2022, 06:44 AM   #6
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Let’s go!!!!!

About to head in for the first session of 2022! Been at ranches since Friday and had covid prior to that so only 2 days in the gym since the 22nd

Let’s go see how outta shape I am in and how packed the gym is!
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2022, 06:49 AM   #7
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Recovering from a torn bicep and surgery on 10/31. Should be able to get back at it next month
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2022, 07:47 AM   #8
Hardcortex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone Co.

I'm in and I'm going to do a better job this year of keeping the thread updated. Did good throughout the holidays getting 5 or 6 workouts in per week, but I did take the last weekend off.

Currently still doing Camp Gladiator 5 or 6 times a week. This year I really want (and need) to work on my midsection and reduce my body fat %. I'm due for my physical late February and will find out then my % body fat, and will try to set a goal around that to reduce it a point or so.

Getting ready for my second CG workout of 2022 now. Let's get it!
Hardcortex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2022, 07:52 AM   #9
3rdCoastHunter
Banned!!!

Focusing on progressive overload more this year especially in my compound lifts.
3rdCoastHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2022, 08:52 AM   #10
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

I haven't been to the gym since last Wednesday. My wife caught Covid and has been down so I've been taking care of her.

But, it's on tomorrow.

I'll be back to 5 days a week as long as I can drag my 63 year old butt outta da bed every day. I'll stick with 5X5 supersets as I was making good progress until I injured my wrist. The goal last year was to bench 300 again and I almost got it (295) until the injury. It will be the goal again this year. Reducing BF% and increasing mass are on the agenda as well.

Git u sum!
Old 01-04-2022, 08:59 AM   #11
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

I've been able to stay fairly consistent. Training from home makes it a little easier. Been on a calorie surplus since October and have seen my weight and my strength increase. Will be headed back to a deficit starting next month.

Last nights workout:
Squats 6 x 4
Push Press 6 x 4
Pendlay Row 6 x 4
Incline BB Press 6 x 4
Incline Close Grip 6 x 4
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2022, 09:32 AM   #12
TexaRican
Pope & Young

In - 30lbs to drop in 2022. I have 100 yards from my back door down to the river which is a good 25 foot drop. Normally I use a chuck it stick to exercise my dog by tossing a ball nearly to the bank. Decided Jan 1 I'm going to do those hill climbs with her at as brisk of a pace as I can. Made 8 trips and gassed day 1.
Hit the elliptical yesterday as it was still in the 20s. Hill runs again today. My plan is cardio and stretching (low back issues) Mon,Tue, Thur, Fri with resistance on Wed for now.
TexaRican is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #13
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pronouns-He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post
As someone who hated working out I decided at 40 to try something out of my comfort zone and went all in on triathlon.
Kinda along the same lines....I just signed up for my first 4K at age of 40. I can't run 30 feet but I have 1 month and 24 days to be able to run a 5K.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2022, 09:43 PM   #14
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera County

Time for me to get back to the gym too! Let’s roll….
Witchgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 07:44 AM   #15
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Letís go!!!!!

About to head in for the first session of 2022! Been at ranches since Friday and had covid prior to that so only 2 days in the gym since the 22nd

Letís go see how outta shape I am in and how packed the gym is!
I ended up getting pulled away from work yesterday morning and was slammed from 6:45 to 6:45 so Ill be making up today and about to walk into the gym!
Old 01-05-2022, 09:48 AM   #16
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Back at it for the first workout of the year. It was good too! Chest and bicep supersets with 5X5 on chest and 5X8 on biceps. The time off helped my right wrist and shoulder heal up and it felt pretty good today so I went heavy.

Incline bench on smith machine/preacher curl
Bench press on smith machine/BB curl
Inverse grip bench press on smith/hammer curl arm blaster
Incline DB fly with a twist/overhead cable curl

Back and legs tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:05 AM   #17
Hardcortex
Ten Point

Wednesday's CG workout complete. It's endurance week, so an hour of steady movement between dumbbells, body weight, and cardio.

I sure have problems getting motivated to workout outside when it's in the 30's or colder, but somehow I still end up soaking wet from sweat.

I am going to throw in an ab round later today using the 15 minute ab workout from P90X to work on this midsection.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:37 AM   #18
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

Ready to do this but dang my allergies have me.

Going to do this for 30 days

Exercise #1: Barbell Squats 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Exercise #2: Barbell or Trap Bar Deadlift 3 sets of 6-8 reps
Exercise #3: Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 3 sets of 10-12 reps
Exercise #4: Pullups or Lat Pulldown 3 sets of 8-10 reps
Exercise #5a: Barbell Curls 3 sets of 8-10 reps
Exercise #5b: French Press sets of 8-10-reps
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 11:46 AM   #19
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
I have some major PTSD on the bike but that will wear off in time. Time to get after it!
I went over my bars at 25mph a few years ago and really had a problem riding in tight groups after that. I just started back this week riding again so hopefully I'm over that and can race again.

Riden the past 3 days with some weight training also.
7sdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 01:28 PM   #20
Horn chaser
Ten Point

Got my first workout in since being sick over Christmas. Went full cardio today. 40 minutes on treadmill, 20 minutes on rowing machine, and 15 minutes on elliptical.
Horn chaser is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 01:53 PM   #21
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
I went over my bars at 25mph a few years ago and really had a problem riding in tight groups after that. I just started back this week riding again so hopefully I'm over that and can race again.

Riden the past 3 days with some weight training also.
Nice! I haven't been able to clip in on the bike yet. I threw mountain bike pedals on my road bike because I'm still hesitant. I need to work through that here soon though.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #22
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

the last gym i was a member of was a crossfit gym, i guess 4 years ago now, and i loved it. i have lifted since i was a teenager, played HS sports and had a very brief stint in college football, and i was in better shape as a 37-38yo than i ever have been. i just didnt like the drive and wanted to save some money so i bought my own stuff.

i have a pretty good setup in my garage, rig, Kbs, DBs, plyo box.... but joined planet fitness last month so i could workout with my son and have use of a treadmill...and those massage chairs are sweet.

i canceled it yesterday, no squat rack, no bench press, not even a pull-up bar, i just couldnt do it. there is no energy in that place lol

joined a "real" gym yesterday, hit the squats and legs pretty good, plan on hitting bench and chest today. i always mix in some pull-ups and/or KB swings between sets as well, i guess the handful of years of crossfit have me where i cant just stand there or sit still between sets.

i like the 5x5 work on the compound lifts and sabrekiller motivated me to set some goals, 300 bench, 375 squat, and 405 deadlift, is where i am going to start.

maybe i can get in good enough shape to do an xterra race that i have always checked out and never followed through with lol...

stay after it folks, if you need motivation go check out david goggins on instagram, not in front of your kids!.......stay hard!
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 02:58 PM   #23
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
Nice! I haven't been able to clip in on the bike yet. I threw mountain bike pedals on my road bike because I'm still hesitant. I need to work through that here soon though.
At least in a Tri you cant draft so your not real close to anyone like in road racing or gravel racing. Good luck with your training.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:29 PM   #24
sandbill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montague County

First time to comment on this or last year’s workout accountability thread. I’ve done a bit of lurking however. I’ve been in a good routine for the past two years, getting to the local PF gym 5-6 days per week. Some abs and cardio (stationary bike or elliptical machine) each visit, plus weights. Four day lifting rotation of arms, legs, chest, back and shoulders. At age 63, I’m likely stronger than ever. Much like another 63 y.o.said a few posts ago, I’m creeping up on a bench press goal of 300, but for the first time! I’m currently at 290 and should get to my goal next week. Keep up the good work. Have a great year!
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 03:42 PM   #25
7sdad
Ten Point

Both of my collar bones are out of their socket plus 2 surgeries on each so there are a lot of things I can't or shouldn't be lifting. What are some good ways I could get my shoulders stronger?
Old 01-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #26
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

Hey fella's!
Was on vacation in North Iowa for 2 weeks.Had some really good workouts while we were gone.Everyday was a big one.Going to different gyms around the area was really cool.Bout to head to my home gym now.Keep hammering!
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 07:29 PM   #27
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx
Default Gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
Both of my collar bones are out of their socket plus 2 surgeries on each so there are a lot of things I can't or shouldn't be lifting. What are some good ways I could get my shoulders stronger?
If they're outta the socket,you'd be f'd..Close grip rows,incline bench(close grip).Keep all of your movements between the delts.
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2022, 09:38 AM   #28
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Morning Gents! Another great start to the day with back and legs today. 5X5and heavy enough that I could only get 5 reps. I'm gonna pay for that later today. And maybe tomorrow.

Front squat/t-bar row
Sled leg press/inverse grip bent over BB row
Back squat/weighted pull-up/incline sit up
Low row/prone leg curl/hanging leg raise

Chest and triceps tomorrow
Old 01-06-2022, 09:41 AM   #29
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

legs are screaming from the squats tuesday, i was able to squeeze in some flat bench and incline DB bench yesterday.

hoping to hit some deadlift, pullups, and tricep work this afternoon.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2022, 09:45 AM   #30
Clay C
Pope & Young

on the last week of month 2 of the Wendler 5/3/1 BBB Challenge.

Not back up to my old weights yet, but feeling stronger than ever if that makes sense.

Nothing but compound lifts, chinups/pullups and farmers carries. I'm down almost 20 lbs from September.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2022, 03:47 PM   #31
GarrettH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera

Failed miserably last year... gotta get back in gear big time, I'm too soft and out of breath these days... stats today 6'5" - 258.2 - 31%
GarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2022, 03:51 PM   #32
150class
Pope & Young

Slept in the AM but just knocked out a pull day over lunch!

Have to go out of town tomorrow but hoping to be back at it Saturday/Sunday
Old 01-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #33
Hardcortex
Ten Point

Thursday and Friday workouts complete. That puts endurance week behind me at CG, but might get an extra in tomorrow. A little sore but feeling good. Plan another ab round this afternoon, and one for the weekend, otherwise its active recovery time until Monday.

I saw on last years thread at least one other TBH'er was doing CG. Anyone else?
Old 01-07-2022, 09:47 AM   #34
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

It was a good gym day even though it was hard dragging my old a r s e outta bed! Made a good chest and tricep day out of it. I'm still on the 5X5 plan, but decided to change things up a little this morning and added some strip sets in on chest.

Incline bench press on smith machine/cable pushdown/incline situp
Incline DB chest fly/overhead rope extension
Bench press strip sets/single arm cable pull down/ab roller
Push ups/cable kickbacks

In the locker room a youngish guy asked me how long I've been lifting. My response was 35 years. When he asked me how old I was and I replied 62 he said, "**** I hope I look like that when I'm 62." I hear that occasionally and it always makes me feel good.

Have a great weekend!
Old 01-08-2022, 11:08 AM   #35
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

My kid is has been on break and going to gym with me. I am just a weight pusher. He does athletic workouts and for those of you who want to test your athletic ability. I have 2 for you

1st- Pistol Squat holding onto your outstretch foot

2nd- Shrimp Squat holding your rear leg with both hands.

I didn’t even come close on either
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2022, 05:35 PM   #36
150class
Pope & Young

I was worn out yesterday with no sleep and getting up at 4 for duck hunting

Made it in for legs today

Tomorrow should be shoulders.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:42 PM   #37
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Even though I donít post on this thread often anymore, Iím still at it as much as possible. Iím looking at some hand surgery at sometime in the near future so Iíll miss about 2 months of lifting at some point this year. Legs and core will get blasted at that time.

Happy New Years to everyone and good luck with whatever your goals are for 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2022, 07:46 PM   #38
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range
Default 2022 Workout accountability...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Kinda along the same lines....I just signed up for my first 4K at age of 40. I can't run 30 feet but I have 1 month and 24 days to be able to run a 5K.

Good luck brother. Use this thread to hold yourself accountable and post every workout you do. I donít care if you run 50 ft post it up as a milestone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by rtp; 01-09-2022 at 07:49 PM.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2022, 08:17 PM   #39
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Last Thursday was the first time I stepped back in the local CrossFit box since August. I spoke to my local church Cowboy preacher recently, and he told me he had recently started running again, and that he will join me next week at the CF box. Today he completed a 25 mile cross country run! It was in the Bandera County Hill Country Natural area. Lots of hills!
Anyway, I’m be back at it next week.
Oh, I also decided last Friday to quit dipping again…..wish me luck.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:44 AM   #40
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

A little heating pad and nearly getting hydrodipped in Biofreeze last night seemed to help my back this morning so I hit it heavy and hard. Working on increasing the weight in my 5x5 trying to break through a plateau. Threw in some strip sets on chest as well.

Incline bench press on smith machine/preacher curl/incline situp
Seated wide grip chest press/BB curl
Hanging leg raise/hammer curl bar
Bench press strip sets/arm blaster curls
Incline DB fly/overhead cable curl

Back and legs tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:36 AM   #41
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Looking forward to this year and pushing myself again. Just signed up for the Cowtown half marathon at the end of February so it's time to get serious.

Best of luck to everyone in 2022. To those who keep meaning to get off the couch and become more active, just do it! This is a great time to start.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2022, 11:46 AM   #42
Hardcortex
Ten Point

The wife was busy Saturday so I squeezed in an extra CG workout for the week, totaling 6 hours/workouts last week, and 3 separate ab rounds.

Work up this morning a little sore, but pushed on to get a workout in to start strength and agility week. Had a few ab exercises in there too, and man the abs are sore!
Old 01-11-2022, 09:25 AM   #43
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Never skip leg day. So, I didn't. Back and leg supersets 5X5. I didn't get done everything I wanted, but it's probably best. I'd like to be able to walk later today.

Sled leg press/t-bar row/ab roller
Front squat/BB row inverse grip/hanging leg raise
Weighted pullup/prone leg curl/incline sit up
Leg extension/low row

Chest and triceps will be on the menu for tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:10 AM   #44
01milburnsc
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Full week of workouts last week.

M-Sa: 20 min Cardio alternating stationary bike and runnning followed by HIIT with heavy lifting.
Sunday : Did a 5k with the wife. 12 min pace running intervals. Its been a while since she has been running so I let her determine the rest paces.

Started this week off in a similar format, but lowering weight and increasing reps during the HIIT.

Feeling really good about everything and found a new Podcast to listen to during my workouts.

Elk Bros.- Blue Collar Elk Hunting
01milburnsc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2022, 11:42 AM   #45
Hardcortex
Ten Point

Lots of TUT with slow rep sets today interrupted by burst of cardio/agility. Slow leg sets followed by fast body weight reps put my legs on fire.

Today marked my 650th check in at CG, or 650 hours in the last 3 years 3 months. I have never been a runner, nor a gym rat, so the HIIT type training and the outdoors has worked for me. I started at 215 lbs, and today I am much leaner at 182 lbs. At 55, I feel good to be able to do this on a daily basis.

I need to squeeze in that ab round today too...we will see.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:39 AM   #46
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

It wasn't such a good day to workout. Especially trying to get that one rep max. Arthritis is kicking my arse this morning and every joint hurts. Elbows, knees, back...it all sucks. I lowered my weight significantly and worked on increasing the reps. I finally just gave up. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:53 AM   #47
150class
Pope & Young

Duck hunted Monday and missed the gym
Yesterday was pure laziness missing the gym

Knocked out shoulders this AM and felt great

Pull day tomorrow
Old 01-12-2022, 10:02 AM   #48
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
It wasn't such a good day to workout. Especially trying to get that one rep max. Arthritis is kicking my arse this morning and every joint hurts. Elbows, knees, back...it all sucks. I lowered my weight significantly and worked on increasing the reps. I finally just gave up. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
You've been at the 5x5 game for a while. Switching your weight and reps for a few weeks is probably much needed. You'll most likely break thru that plateau you mentioned also. I wouldn't stick with any one plan for longer than 6 weeks.
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 11:05 AM   #49
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Well crap! I went to my CF box Monday, and Tuesday. Was planning on going Thursday but…
My wife had a scratchy throat a day or two ago, and tested herself about midnight last night. She told me this morning, that her test was positive, and suggested that I test as well. I have no symptoms, but my test was also positive. I had to call my office and let them know I’d be out till Monday. Guess I won’t be going to the gym, but I do have some chores around the house I could do.��
Old 01-12-2022, 11:18 AM   #50
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.latiolais View Post
You've been at the 5x5 game for a while. Switching your weight and reps for a few weeks is probably much needed. You'll most likely break thru that plateau you mentioned also. I wouldn't stick with any one plan for longer than 6 weeks.
Yeah, I know. I generally stick with the 5X5 for not longer than a month at a time, then I move to something else. Even light days are a challenge sometimes. I'll be at the pain management dr.'s office this afternoon for my back. Pretty sure I'm getting shots.