No announcement yet.

Saddle Hunting in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First year saddle hunting, my set up is a Buzzard Roost Saddle (Made in Louisiana) and one stick climbing. Going to be interesting season learning this new style.

Check out these videos for some good information.

Comment

This is my first year saddle hunting. Observations so far:

1. Once I'm up in the tree, it's great. Comfortable. Able to rotate around tree. I don't think an all day sit would be that difficult....with a platform. I tried the ring of steps. Don't recommend it.

2. You can climb just about any tree between 5-6" and maybe 18" in diameter, which opens up a lot of options.

3. Getting the process down is going to take practice. Still don't have it completely dialed in. There's just a lot going on....lineman belt, sticks, aider (in my case), platform, gear tether, gear strap, the saddle itself, etc. So while you cut down on weight, I feel like you increase the amount of random, small accessories that you now have to keep track of.

4. IMO, if you're going to invest in the setup, get a quality, comfortable harness. I went with the Latitude Method 2.0. It's not as comfortable as sitting in a recliner...but almost..

5. Haven't drawn on a live deer yet. But I've practiced on a 3d target from the saddle. To me the important part is running through potential shot angles while you're up in the tree. The actual shooting is not difficult, but positioning your body to get a good draw is what takes some skill. Probably stating the obvious.

6. You might look at dropping the dw on your bow. Sometimes you might have to draw at an awkward angle, which could be difficult (or dangerous) if you're pushing your poundage limits.

My gear list:

- Latitude Method 2.0 Saddle (love it)
      - Muddy Pro Sticks (a little heavy but I love the rope/cam system)
      - Out on a Limb Ridge Runner 2.0 Platform (game-changer. Adds significant weight to the pack, but it is remarkably stable and makes the time up in the tree downright pleasant).
      - Rope aider (not sure of the brand) - Takes a little practice, but I only carry two sticks and I can get 20' up if I need to. They're pretty cheap too.

Comment

I don't like saddles. I move WAY too much. I started in saddles, and I've migrated to sticks and a hang-on. I still use my rock climbing harness as my safety system, so I can use it as an impromptu saddle if needed. But I feel way more comfortable and secure in a stand, and it actually is easier for me to shoot from a stand than the saddle.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSchwartz View Post
          This is my first year saddle hunting. Observations so far:

1. Once I'm up in the tree, it's great. Comfortable. Able to rotate around tree. I don't think an all day sit would be that difficult....with a platform. I tried the ring of steps. Don't recommend it.

2. You can climb just about any tree between 5-6" and maybe 18" in diameter, which opens up a lot of options.

3. Getting the process down is going to take practice. Still don't have it completely dialed in. There's just a lot going on....lineman belt, sticks, aider (in my case), platform, gear tether, gear strap, the saddle itself, etc. So while you cut down on weight, I feel like you increase the amount of random, small accessories that you now have to keep track of.

4. IMO, if you're going to invest in the setup, get a quality, comfortable harness. I went with the Latitude Method 2.0. It's not as comfortable as sitting in a recliner...but almost..

5. Haven't drawn on a live deer yet. But I've practiced on a 3d target from the saddle. To me the important part is running through potential shot angles while you're up in the tree. The actual shooting is not difficult, but positioning your body to get a good draw is what takes some skill. Probably stating the obvious.

6. You might look at dropping the dw on your bow. Sometimes you might have to draw at an awkward angle, which could be difficult (or dangerous) if you're pushing your poundage limits.

My gear list:

- Latitude Method 2.0 Saddle (love it)
          - Muddy Pro Sticks (a little heavy but I love the rope/cam system)
          - Out on a Limb Ridge Runner 2.0 Platform (game-changer. Adds significant weight to the pack, but it is remarkably stable and makes the time up in the tree downright pleasant).
          - Rope aider (not sure of the brand) - Takes a little practice, but I only carry two sticks and I can get 20' up if I need to. They're pretty cheap too.

How many steps is your aider? I’ve got single step aiders on each step but considering double on the bottom and cutting from 4 sticks(20”) to 3 steps. I think that would put me at 17-18 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
            How many steps is your aider? I’ve got single step aiders on each step but considering double on the bottom and cutting from 4 sticks(20”) to 3 steps. I think that would put me at 17-18 feet.

This is the one I use:

https://rope-master.com/en/climbing-...hoCld0QAvD_BwE

Takes a little practice, but you could manage the height you’re going for with two steps and a platform.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
              to piggy back on your questions, how hard is saddle hunting. can an out of shape 40 year old do so safely, easily and comfortably?

I’m 46 and swing from the trees![emoji109][emoji631]

Comment

Question for the saddle hunters. What is this for? I have a tethrd XL platform that I assembled. However, it came with this piece. After I installed the black piece that looks the same, I have no clue where this should go. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

From what I've read, the black one is the new style bracket and the silver one is the old style. Why they include both, no one seems to know. Bottom line, you only need one installed. The other is just extra.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                    anyone have a recommendation for a ring of steps that you like?
                    My plan is to use aiders and having my top step close to the platform. So kind of 1 step about 10 oclock from the platform

Comment

I’m still swapping components and methods. I’ve got a great system and method. And have finally got packing down to what I consider actually functional.

I’ve got this platform that’s more of my preset and private land platform. I use either bolts or my sticks or spikes with it. Really really like this platform…. Except for packing it and weight. It’s awkward to pack and 4.5 lbs alone. VERY comfortable and incredibly solid

Mobile is just a predator platform. Just packs easier and way lighter. I have 1 more small diy modification to make to my pack to make straps permanent and I’m done.

4 sticks with cable aiders, pack and platform. Everything I need for an all day sit 20-22’ capabilities…… 11.5 lbs
                      Attached Files

Comment

I’ve got 3 hunts under my belt now including my first all day sit yesterday and have figured out a few things so far.

my hip is absolutely killing me this morning. I assume that is from sitting in the saddle all day bc i did nothing else at all. I’m sure i probably needed a few more shorter sits before my muscles and joints were ready for an all day sit.

My XOP platform is a tank and is rock solid. But it is too bulky and heavy(5.4 pounds) for my liking so I’ll probably look to switch that out this offseason.

I can easily get by with 3 20” sticks w aiders so I’m leaving the 4th stick in my truck next time. My current setup where I hunted yesterday is 3 sticks w 2 aiders and I could have stretched that out close to 2 more feet if needed. I saw probably 20 deer out of this yesterday and none of them saw me.

I can’t get comfortable w shooting directly behind me. Gonna have to go home and work on that.

Finally I dont like the Kong Duck on my tether. Loosening it to lengthen the line is more difficult than just using a prussic knot and feels dangerous imo.

Comment

I have to get into saddle hunting. I sounded like a herd of elephants this morning with my climber hitting everything. Any suggestions for my size, 6'1" 220?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Cruzer xc for the saddle. Platform…. The predator is kinda the benchmark, and I honestly think it lacks nothing

Comment

Something to consider for those getting into it. I just got back from a trip to oklahoma and if it wasnt for my saddle i dont think i would have killed anything. To hunt where the deer were, it was either a saddle, or hunt off the ground. I killed out of a tree that had a about an 8" diameter. and i was about 12' in the air

Comment

Good info Phorizt, thank you for sharing. Low Fence, do you like the Predator XL as much as a regular predator?

Comment

Working...
                                X