Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Dislike Dove Season

I hate dove season.

Not really, but I got bored with it years ago, except for when I dove hunt with my bow, which I haven't done in several years.

Why do I "dislike" dove season?:

Because the animal activity always slows down, and what activity there is usually goes totally nocturnal.

This year the activity didn't just slow down. It has STOPPED !!!

That's what happens when people think it's ok to go dove hunt right in your prime bow hunting areas.

Rick

You on public land or a shared lease?

Comment

Why are people are hunting YOUR areas if they are yours?

I'd bird hunt (dove/quail) with the dogs any day over deer hunting (blind hunting at least.) This weekend, we didn't see near the activity we're used to this time of year but I attribute that to the rain.

Hope your pig activity picks back up.

Comment

Two Words:

Disrespectful Family.

Over 400 acres of farm, of which I hunt one of the smallest, and hardest areas to get to, yet they go over there, tromp around, shoot no telling how much, and it's not really even that good of a dove area.

Color me disappointed at the very least.

Rick

Comment

Yeah I am sure they were all around my back set up. Last year I was there to deter it and the results were a very mature buck the second weekend of season. Being over here this year I'm sure I'll find empty hulls all around my set up. [emoji2955]

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have never had my neighbors bothering deer that much. I have been in my stand with my neighbors dove hunting their pond 100 yards away from my stand. The deer just lift up their head and look then go right back to eating. What I have an issue with is when they start shedding their velvet they start changing their habits and patterns. Which is what is going on right now here for me. Hopefully they will be coming back around again more shortly.

Comment

Try buying your own property and you can do as you please.

Bachelor groups break up this time of year and rainfall has spurred new growth. Acorns are also beginning to fall in some areas. I doubt it’s the dove hunting causing the change.

Comment

We used to dove hunt at least two weekends in September, and I never saw it affecting our deer hunting any. Of course most of our Labor Day shooting was in a 75 acre field out of a 1,400 acre lease, but we did hunt the ponds scattered out too. Come bow season, there were still deer everywhere. I guess it depends on where you hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  Try buying your own property and you can do as you please.

Bachelor groups break up this time of year and rainfall has spurred new growth. Acorns are also beginning to fall in some areas. I doubt it’s the dove hunting causing the change.
                  It's dry as a popcorn fart in that area. There won't be any acorns dropping right now because there are only white oaks and scrub oaks there. That don't have squat for acorns because of the drought. Deer are kind of depending on all the supplemental feed we are putting out but pigs will go nocturnal quick as will mature bucks.
                  It's illegal to hunt near feeders and if it isn't your feeder it's disrespectful as well.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    We used to dove hunt at least two weekends in September, and I never saw it affecting our deer hunting any. Of course most of our Labor Day shooting was in a 75 acre field out of a 1,400 acre lease, but we did hunt the ponds scattered out too. Come bow season, there were still deer everywhere. I guess it depends on where you hunt.
                    I do own my own.

The property I'm having trouble on is "family owned".

Rick

Comment

I don’t let hunting of any kind stress me out- if it did I would quit. Same with fishing. I really don’t get it

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        I don’t let hunting of any kind stress me out- if it did I would quit. Same with fishing. I really don’t get it
                        Heck yeah, save that stuff fir work lol

Comment

Working...
                        X