Medication question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medication question

My fiance went to a doctor today to get on some anxiety meds for some issues shes going through. I have been on meds for years. When she came home she told.me the gave her .25 xanax twice a day buspirone 10mg once a day and Lexapro 10mg once a day. For someone who has never been on any of this medication and maybe weighting a 110 pounds just seems a bit much to me? Maybe I'm wrong but for a person never to take anything before just seems off... Anyone have a opinion?

Yeah
    But you wouldn’t like it

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
      Yeah
      But you wouldn’t like it
      Go for it

Comment

Yes no problem
        Xanax is low dose
        Buspirone can be 15mg 4x daily
        Lexapro up to 20mg daily
        None are based on weight but rather more on symptoms

Comment

She may have been more honest with her Dr. Than you.

Comment

I think it depends in what kind of anxiety attacks she is having and how severe. If she is having severe panic attacks the xanax is understandable. The Buspirone I suspect is being used as a buildup for eventually eliminating the xanax. Lexapro is good and that is what I take for GAD and been taking for close to 10 years.

The goal of medicines are to help manage anxiety and provide some relief to the patient while understanding the underlying causes and make lifestyle changes so medicines can be eliminated over time.

Comment

Tell her not to miss a dose of that Buspirone, the migraines from the withdrawals are miserable.

Comment

Park the Xanax
                Park the buspar

Only needs lexapro

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                  Yes no problem
                  Xanax is low dose
                  Buspirone can be 15mg 4x daily
                  Lexapro up to 20mg daily
                  None are based on weight but rather more on symptoms
                  I'm really wondering because we both drive daily all day at work.

Comment

Good luck to her. I had panic attacks for about 2 years before I finally got the proper medicine. Panic attacks are very serious for the person having them. People that have never had one do not understand. I bet the Doctor is on the right track.

Comment

Really low dosages. I cant imagine the Zanax even having much affect at .25, even mixed with the Lexapro. i have no idea what the buspirone is...so maybe thats the kicker.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                        Good luck to her. I had panic attacks for about 2 years before I finally got the proper medicine. Panic attacks are very serious for the person having them. People that have never had one do not understand. I bet the Doctor is on the right track.
                        I have them also and take propranolol when I feel one starting to arise stops ot dead in its tracks.

Comment

Xanax can be extremely addictive. My opinion, it should be extremely short term unless absolutely necessary.

I had terrible side effects from lexapro. Made all my issues worse.

My opinion, a low dose of sertraline or venlafaxine would be better options. But that's just from my own experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by webstertroy View Post
                            I have them also and take propranolol when I feel one starting to arise stops ot dead in its tracks.
                            Lot's of different medicine. I take lorazapam when I feel one coming on. To each their own. Good luck to her.

Comment

Originally posted by webstertroy View Post
                              I'm really wondering because we both drive daily all day at work.
                              Shouldn’t be an issue
                              Dr’s start antidepressants & anti-anxiety meds at low dosages & titrate up as needed. I’m sure next visit Dr will gauge how effective based on symptoms subsiding or not. If not, they’ll adjust as needed

Main thing, never stop those drugs immediately. They are designed to be tapered off slowly.

Comment

Working...
                              X