Building arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building arrows

I know I go through too many. If pigs aren't destroying them I am with poor shots. Sometimes it's into that metal tube in the 3D animal leg, sometimes a tree or branch. Then there is the one or three I may have lost at Chester.
    But every year it's at least a dozen.
    I've bought several dozen that have sat in the closet waiting to be needed. And now is the time.
    Building two dozen to take to Africa. Beman Centershot 340s. They come 32" long, I trim an inch and quarter off. Using wraps for the first time. Maybe if I had these bright things on those arrows at Chester I'd have found them.[emoji19]
    It is a time consuming part of this addiction and although it's hot here on the patio I find it strangely satisfying.

Now to my point, I have not settled on any one type or color of fletching. I kind of like 3" though. Parabolic has been a first choice for me but I found this new cut I like.
    So who has a very set set up they use and what is it and why and who uses just whatever tickles their fancy?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220724_114229311.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	25287700

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Pretty boring combo, but they work very well in all kinds of lighting. 3 x 4” parabolic son 350 micro shafts (Day Six or Widowmaker).
    Wraps make reflecting a breeze too. My favorite adhesive is the thick super glue from Hobby Lobby. It give you a clean bead of glue and still flows well.Dries very quickly too.
    I would like to give the 4 x 3” a try, but I still have enough 4” feathers to last me several years.
    Last edited by Horsehide; 07-24-2022, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Kind of buried the lead, there, DRT. Going to Africa?!? Cool!!

As far as fletchings, I have gone back and forth and about settled on 3x 3" parabolic on my 300 spine Black Eagles, cut to about 29." I do still have a leftover 3x2" shield cut that flies real nice (I've used it in several recent FSCs).

Comment

I've been using 3 x 4" parabolics here lately and like them. They give me good flight with field points and broad heads. One of the organizations I compete in requires at least 12" of overall feather length, so using 4" on everything keeps things simple. I like using bright colors that stand out from the typical leaf color around here, lol, so I can find them when I miss. Pinks, purples, and some bright white, blue, and chartreuse combos...

Gary, if you ever need more of those Ozark target max feathers, let me know. I have a couple hundred 3" left wing in various colors. We used them when we were still shooting 3D with our compounds.

Comment

I've settled for 3x4" shield cut for hunting needs. On the range I can get good results out of 3x3" shield. Hunting from the ground and from tree stands, I sometimes shoot from odd positions and may get less than perfect releases. 3x4" gives me enough feather for correction without having too much feather. Maybe some day I'll be good enough to never need any correction when hunting.

Comment

Nothing wrong with Beeman Centershots. Fine arrow in my opionion. But Easton shut 'em down.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
              Nothing wrong with Beeman Centershots. Fine arrow in my opionion. But Easton shut 'em down.
              Yeah I'm buying out as many on clearance I'm willing to afford.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X