No announcement yet.

The Fat G Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a game rich place your hunting on.......

Comment

what solar lights are those? link?

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
        what solar lights are those? link?

I just looked at my order history on Amazon. They’re apparently unavailable right now, but they’re just solar LED outdoor lights. It was like $30/pair. There’s others on there. These were 48 LED lights. They have bigger and smaller. Been happy with the performance from them.

Here’s the Amazon link.

ENGREPO Solar Lights Outdoor, 48 LEDs Solar Powered Motion Sensor Light, Security Wireless Waterproof Solar Flood Light for Yard, Fence, Garden, Patio, Front Door, Shed, Deck, Path, Gutter. 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SCJ877F...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
          Yeah I did. I just put the can on before I got into the blind. It was locked down and seated properly. It drops onto the mount, screws on until tight, and then you turn the locking ring tight. I just dropped it off at my gun guy to send back to silencerco. They’ve made a big change to that locking mechanism in the Saker series this year. I think this is an unpublished, known issue or there’d be no reason for that substantial change to the mechanism. We’ll see what they do. I’m really glad it didn’t happen to my son while he was shooting.

Had this happen to another friend of mine about 4 weeks ago. They are replacing everything no questions, sad part is he still has to pay for a new stamp from the ATF

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
            Had this happen to another friend of mine about 4 weeks ago. They are replacing everything no questions, sad part is he still has to pay for a new stamp from the ATF

I’ll be happy to get it right, but I’ll be pi$$ed if I have to pay another $200. If they’re gonna do that, I’d rather pay $400 and they send me another suppressor on the house.

Comment

I am all caught up and sure enjoyed the ride. You guys are doing an awesome job.

Comment

Man you guys sure do a lot of work. Place looks really good enjoy it!

Comment

Wrapped the season this weekend. No kills, but it was awesome!

My dad lives in Seadrift. Not exactly on the way from Temple to Del Rio. He’d only been with me once during the off-season for a very short trip. He’s 66, but has been through a tremendous amount of heart problems since his early forties. Very fortunate he’s still with us.

We had talked before Christmas about him going to the ranch for the final weekend. He was worried he couldn’t even shoot anymore so I had him bring his old, trusty .270 up for Christmas. We spent an afternoon at the range. I shot his .270 first and it was dead nuts inch high at 100. He was having difficulty seeing through the scope but was able to put a 2 1/2 inch group on paper. Not perfect, but it would be lethal. The rest of the guys bailed for the New Year hunt for one reason or another so it would just be me, dad, and my son for the weekend.

Dad rolled up to his brother’s house in SA on Wednesday. Thursday morning I dropped the girls off at daycare and headed south. We picked dad up in SA and rolled on to the ranch.

We arrived in time for an evening hunt and pulled up to hunt the airstream. Now from where I park to the stand is about 500 yards. I did not realize how difficult that walk would be for dad. Had to take several breaks but we got there. Next up was the vertical ladder. That was very difficult as well. We got all settled in though.

Uneventful hunt. I got out a little early and spooked 5 WT that were making their way in. I grabbed the truck and pulled up to the blind so dad didn’t have to walk again.

We got to camp and got unloaded. We did some quick maintenance on the genny. Oil change, new spark plug, and fuel filter. Fired it up and it sounded like sh*t. We ran it to get some lights and eat dinner. We have a second genny there and I had got us an adapter as it takes a different plug. The plug china sent me was wrong so we were relying on this one through the night.

Friday morning I put dad in the hideout as it’s a ground blind and I could drive up to it and drop him off. Cooper and I hunted Keegan’s blind by camp. Dads feeder didn’t throw. Cooper and I saw easily 15 does, but no bone.

We rolled to pick up dad. I fixed the feeder and then we headed back to camp. We ate breakfast and then I told dad we needed to run to Del Rio. Not ideal, but with this wicked cold front, I didn’t want to rely on a limping genny.

I thought this pigtail adapter would be an easy pickup, but it didn’t work out that way. We went to 4 stores before I finally just bought a new plug instead. We stopped and grabbed a bail of alfalfa as well. We got back to camp and put the alfalfa in our two hay feeders and dumped some on the ground at Truitt’s spot. I wired in the new plug and hooked up our other genny. It ran like a top.

We hunted the 110 for the evening. I dropped dad off at the ground blind at the far end of the property. Cooper and I circled back to the first setup in a slightly elevated blind. Dads feeder throws and mine doesn’t. I got down and checked it and the timer said 9:47AM when it was almost 5PM! One of the wirenuts was missing and I guess it was sporadically contacting. I fixed it and got back in the stand. I just knew that with dads feeder being the only working one he’d be covered up, but he was blanked. Cooper and I saw a nice young 8 cross our road, but that was it.

We settled in for the evening, ate dinner, and watched some college football.

The next morning I dropped dad off at Truitt’s spot and Cooper and I hunted Matt’s. Beautiful sunrise that morning. Dad snapped this pic.

Dad had a nice 24-26” axis buck and a doe. He texted me this pic.

I told him if he liked it to let it rip. He said that doe had him pegged from jump street and he couldn’t blink without her stomping. Cooper and I were blanked. We got out of the stand and ran over to Third Rock to spray some flex seal. Got that done, picked up dad, and headed back to camp for breakfast.

I really want to take an Axis with a bow, so we rolled over to Truitt’s spot after breakfast to make a brush blind for this spring. Got it done and headed back to camp.

I got a wild hair and was tired of our trashed connex. Dad and Cooper hung out and I cleaned out and organized our connex. Ended up looking like this.

Dad wanted to hunt Truitt’s spot again that evening and Cooper and I hunted Keegan’s. It was hot. This was the hunting attire for the evening hunt.

We hadn’t been in the stand 10 minutes and two does came in. Then I saw the biggest buck I’ve ever seen on the hoof. I happened to look behind us and saw him walk along the fence and stop behind a cedar. Deer come this way and towards the feeder all the time. I thought he was about to come in on a string. My heart instantly started racing. I got Cooper’s ears on and prepared for a shot. I see his head throw up and and look up the road. We don’t see or hear anything. Then he bolts back into the brush where he came from. I was a little dejected, but it’s awesome to know there’s deer of that caliber out there. Coop and I had a good hunt. We saw 15-20 WT and Axis does. Dad got blanked.

We got back to camp, ate dinner, watch football, and prepared for the weather coming. Weatherman claimed we were expecting upper 20s. Our water can handle that. When I got up the camp thermometer said 20. Crazy we went from 80s to 20 degrees in 12 hours.

Our water can’t handle that, lol. Everything was froze up. Dad and Cooper stayed behind and I went to hunt. I sat until 11 and didn’t see a thing. We got camp buttoned up and winterized and rolled out.

Nothing hit the ground, but it was the first time all three of us have hunted together and the first time I took dad hunting not him taking me. It was an experience to treasure.

Looking forward to what 2022 brings at the Fat G. Thanks for following along!

Comment

Wrapped the season this weekend. No kills, but it was awesome!

My dad lives in Seadrift. Not exactly on the way from Temple to Del Rio. He’d only been with me once during the off-season for a very short trip. He’s 66, but has been through a tremendous amount of heart problems since his early forties. Very fortunate he’s still with us.

We had talked before Christmas about him going to the ranch for the final weekend. He was worried he couldn’t even shoot anymore so I had him bring his old, trusty .270 up for Christmas. We spent an afternoon at the range. I shot his .270 first and it was dead nuts inch high at 100. He was having difficulty seeing through the scope but was able to put a 2 1/2 inch group on paper. Not perfect, but it would be lethal. The rest of the guys bailed for the New Year hunt for one reason or another so it would just be me, dad, and my son for the weekend.

Dad rolled up to his brother’s house in SA on Wednesday. Thursday morning I dropped the girls off at daycare and headed south. We picked dad up in SA and rolled on to the ranch.

We arrived in time for an evening hunt and pulled up to hunt the airstream. Now from where I park to the stand is about 500 yards. I did not realize how difficult that walk would be for dad. Had to take several breaks but we got there. Next up was the vertical ladder. That was very difficult as well. We got all settled in though.

Uneventful hunt. I got out a little early and spooked 5 WT that were making their way in. I grabbed the truck and pulled up to the blind so dad didn’t have to walk again.

We got to camp and got unloaded. We did some quick maintenance on the genny. Oil change, new spark plug, and fuel filter. Fired it up and it sounded like sh*t. We ran it to get some lights and eat dinner. We have a second genny there and I had got us an adapter as it takes a different plug. The plug china sent me was wrong so we were relying on this one through the night.

Friday morning I put dad in the hideout as it’s a ground blind and I could drive up to it and drop him off. Cooper and I hunted Keegan’s blind by camp. Dads feeder didn’t throw. Cooper and I saw easily 15 does, but no bone.

We rolled to pick up dad. I fixed the feeder and then we headed back to camp. We ate breakfast and then I told dad we needed to run to Del Rio. Not ideal, but with this wicked cold front, I didn’t want to rely on a limping genny.

I thought this pigtail adapter would be an easy pickup, but it didn’t work out that way. We went to 4 stores before I finally just bought a new plug instead. We stopped and grabbed a bail of alfalfa as well. We got back to camp and put the alfalfa in our two hay feeders and dumped some on the ground at Truitt’s spot. I wired in the new plug and hooked up our other genny. It ran like a top.

We hunted the 110 for the evening. I dropped dad off at the ground blind at the far end of the property. Cooper and I circled back to the first setup in a slightly elevated blind. Dads feeder throws and mine doesn’t. I got down and checked it and the timer said 9:47AM when it was almost 5PM! One of the wirenuts was missing and I guess it was sporadically contacting. I fixed it and got back in the stand. I just knew that with dads feeder being the only working one he’d be covered up, but he was blanked. Cooper and I saw a nice young 8 cross our road, but that was it.

We settled in for the evening, ate dinner, and watched some college football.

The next morning I dropped dad off at Truitt’s spot and Cooper and I hunted Matt’s. Beautiful sunrise that morning. Dad snapped this pic.

Dad had a nice 24-26” axis buck and a doe. He texted me this pic.

I told him if he liked it to let it rip. He said that doe had him pegged from jump street and he couldn’t blink without her stomping. Cooper and I were blanked. We got out of the stand and ran over to Third Rock to spray some flex seal. Got that done, picked up dad, and headed back to camp for breakfast.

I really want to take an Axis with a bow, so we rolled over to Truitt’s spot after breakfast to make a brush blind for this spring. Got it done and headed back to camp.

I got a wild hair and was tired of our trashed connex. Dad and Cooper hung out and I cleaned out and organized our connex. Ended up looking like this.

Dad wanted to hunt Truitt’s spot again that evening and Cooper and I hunted Keegan’s. It was hot. This was the hunting attire for the evening hunt.

We hadn’t been in the stand 10 minutes and two does came in. Then I saw the biggest buck I’ve ever seen on the hoof. I happened to look behind us and saw him walk along the fence and stop behind a cedar. Deer come this way and towards the feeder all the time. I thought he was about to come in on a string. My heart instantly started racing. I got Cooper’s ears on and prepared for a shot. I see his head throw up and and look up the road. We don’t see or hear anything. Then he bolts back into the brush where he came from. I was a little dejected, but it’s awesome to know there’s deer of that caliber out there. Coop and I had a good hunt. We saw 15-20 WT and Axis does. Dad got blanked.

We got back to camp, ate dinner, watch football, and prepared for the weather coming. Weatherman claimed we were expecting upper 20s. Our water can handle that. When I got up the camp thermometer said 20. Crazy we went from 80s to 20 degrees in 12 hours.

Our water can’t handle that, lol. Everything was froze up. Dad and Cooper stayed behind and I went to hunt. I sat until 11 and didn’t see a thing. We got camp buttoned up and winterized and rolled out.

Nothing hit the ground, but it was the first time all three of us have hunted together and the first time I took dad hunting not him taking me. It was an experience to treasure.

Looking forward to what 2022 brings at the Fat G. Thanks for following along!

I’m surprised with the lack of deer sightings with the time of year and area you’re hunting. Thanks for sharing, great pics.

Comment

Few of the guys came up last weekend and filled feeders. They never take pics, so I don’t have any to share. They did give me a list of stuff that was broken/not working though, lol.

Cooper and I rolled in yesterday evening. We had enough daylight to get some alfalfa out, pull some cam cards, and put out a couple of pig pipes.

One thing that wasn’t working was our 12 volt pump that pressurized the cabin. That was an easy fix. Replaced a 10 amp fuse and we had water. Apparently our sprayer in the sink cracked during one of the freezes. That was quite the surprise when I turned it on and it shot water sideways onto the cabinets.

Had a solid dinner last night of venison keto taco soup.

It was mighty cold this morning, but no wind which is rare down here, so pretty tolerable.

Coop and I are still in the stand. We’ll get some other things fixed up this weekend. I think we’ve got 6 more coming in late tonight after baseball games. We’re looking to thin out some pigs and Aoudad ewes. Trophy axis are always on the menu as well. I’ll update throughout the weekend.

Taxi got my Aoudad mounted up the other day that I shot in December of 2020. Just need to dry and have finish work and I can pick him up.

Super happy with the work and can’t wait to get him hung!

Comment

Here’s some game cam pics

Comment

Two less piglets

Comment

Here’s some game cam pics

Solid on the pigs! Are y’all off of 1024?

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                              Solid on the pigs! Are y’all off of 1024?

We’re off Dolan creek road. Way off, lol.

Comment

So our tankless hot water heater blew again. Gotta order another. Our water troughs had some pvc blow too. I’ve got everything to repair them, but one part [emoji2359], so that’ll be for another time.

Got my cell cam stand with solar and battery set up and in its new position.

One of our stands got blown over. Going to have to fix that tomorrow when reinforcements get here.

Got a couple of feeders fixed up that they found problems with last week. This one has had hell on solar panels so I ran it in conduit and mounted the conduit to the feeder.

Possum didn’t make it in one of our water tanks.

Rigged up one winch at our skinning station. If this works well, I’ll set another up opposite of it. Much better than the rope and pulley we had before. Even with the right bit, drilling for those bolts through that red iron was rough!

Bacon seeds! Anyone want another Boaris?

I carry the guns, he carries the cooler. Sounds fair to me. He picked the stand we are in for the evening hunt. Not the one with the big aoudads and axis. He picked the one we got blanked at this morning [emoji2359].

Reinforcements are in route. Should be here after sundown. Hopefully we can put a hurting on some critters.

Comment

Working...
                                X