• Show
Clear All

Hen scratch

Comment

Corn

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
        I put hen scratch in this feeder and had turkeys on it in a day. The deer like it too I really prefer just milo though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Do you have problems with hogs getting in that feeder?

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          Do you have problems with hogs getting in that feeder?
          Not yet but I’m sure they’ll get to it eventually. We’ll probably build a platform for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
            Not yet but I’m sure they’ll get to it eventually. We’ll probably build a platform for it.
            I would like to have one of those feeders, I seen one mounted on a platform. They used a steel pipe and put a platform on top it. I wonder what height would be ideal for the feeder to be set at?

I have to hog proof everything.

Comment

Broadcast milo in the leaves if you have them. They have to scratch it up and will keep coming around to look after it is gone.

Comment

I've always been concerned with putting a feeder out that I'll attract every bobcat around for an easy meal.

Comment

We built a couple of these for our place in Eldorado. Cut 4 "troughs" around the bottom so it is kinda like a free feed protein feeder concept. Inverted cone on the inside so feed flows to the troughs. Fill em with scratch and/or milo. Turkey, dove, quail all wear em out.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Chops.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                      Drinking kind is more fun.
                      Hard to beat Wild Turkey 101. Not sure if the turkeys like it though.

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
                        We did 50/50 milo and corn in our feeder and the turkey were on it every time, on time.
                        We throw a bag of milo in with the corn so it's a 1:6 ratio and they still hit the feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
                          We did 50/50 milo and corn in our feeder and the turkey were on it every time, on time.
                          When I hunted south Texas, I mixed hen scratch and corn 50/50 in my feeder before turkey season.
                          I pulled and held all the turkey on the ranch to that feeder.
                          They scratched and pecked the dirt under the feeder all day long.

Comment

Milo works good

Comment

Chufa is probably the best thing for turkeys, in my experience. They’ll also pick around in clover.

Baiting them will land you a pretty serious ticket here, but I’m sure they’d eat corn or chicken scratch if they found it.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                                We built a couple of these for our place in Eldorado. Cut 4 "troughs" around the bottom so it is kinda like a free feed protein feeder concept. Inverted cone on the inside so feed flows to the troughs. Fill em with scratch and/or milo. Turkey, dove, quail all wear em out.

Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X