Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Panhandle Hunting Thread (6th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
    3 sits since Thursday afternoon. 2 dink bucks and got skunked tonight. Terrible season and so far the worst in the 16 years we hsve hunted this area. 3 of us sat tonight fron the east to south to middle of our lease and not a single deer seen!
    Definitely sounds like something's going on. Are the deer you're seeing acting skittish? Any weirdness on trail cameras? Any dead deer found?

Comment

I was able to get my boss/ranch owner on a pretty good one last week. His first WT ever off his ranch. My mule deer ghost eluded me again this year.

Comment

That's a stud of a deer!

Comment

Originally posted by Treeshark View Post
          That's a stud of a deer!
          x2! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
            Definitely sounds like something's going on. Are the deer you're seeing acting skittish? Any weirdness on trail cameras? Any dead deer found?
            I have thought about a cat being n the neighbor hood but have not seen any sign. 2 deer since Thur afternoon. None of us saw anythin this morning. Ne on the east side one towards the middle and on on the SW corner by our pond. I do nt mind not seeing a shooter and we new that could happen but not seeing deer on ridges at feeders or just out and about is puzzling and has me a little worried. Still pics on cameras but 95% bucks. I have only seen one doe at a feeder all year while sitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              I have thought about a cat being n the neighbor hood but have not seen any sign. 2 deer since Thur afternoon. None of us saw anythin this morning. Ne on the east side one towards the middle and on on the SW corner by our pond. I do nt mind not seeing a shooter and we new that could happen but not seeing deer on ridges at feeders or just out and about is puzzling and has me a little worried. Still pics on cameras but 95% bucks. I have only seen one doe at a feeder all year while sitting.
              That's crazy. Yote population? Any drastic changes to browse on you or neighbors this year? It's all quite puzzling and I'd love to know what the heck is going on.

Comment

Doug I know this may not make you feel any better but our deer are not hitting feeders this year either. We are seeing them on travel routes but have watched them walk right past the feeders all season

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
                  That's crazy. Yote population? Any drastic changes to browse on you or neighbors this year? It's all quite puzzling and I'd love to know what the heck is going on.
                  They pushed a lot of the mesquite on the ranch to our west but they tell us their deer sightings have not changed.
                  We had a bad drought in 2012 and are seeng the effects with very few 5 $ 6 year old deer plus the drought this spring killed all our fawns and almost wiped out our quail population.
                  Even with the cold freezing temps and the ice and snow this year there is still a ton of green browse underneath the tall dead grass on our place.
                  Who knows why we are not seeing much, even the pigs have stopped hammering the feeders like normal. I have only killed one pig all year and one killed one with a rifle. I have seen 2 or 3 others but they come thru a feeder and do not stop to eat. A few deer have even done that.

Comment

Headed up last weekend.

Parts of Collingsworth got quite a bit of snow.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	gb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	24566989

I'd needed to burn for a while.

Name:	burn pile.jpg
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	24566990

Couple new bucks have showed since the rut, maybe they'll stay a while.

Name:	IMG_1531.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	24566991

My boy shot a nice sow when we were up in the middle of December.

Name:	JD and sow.jpg
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	24566992

We rescued that hound while visiting my Dad for Thanksgiving.
                    To my surprise, she tracked that pig.
                    I'm happy to have her.
                    It hasn't all been gravy, she fought a skunk last night...and lost.

Congrats to everybody that was successful this season.
                    Hope 2019 is even better.

Name:	sunrise.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	24566993

Comment

Crickets around here.

My mother-in-law took some pics last week, thought I'd share.

Name:	IMG_2336.jpg
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	24571442

Name:	IMG_2341.jpg
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	24571443

Name:	IMG_2349.jpg
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	24571444

Name:	IMG_2361.jpg
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	24571445

Name:	IMG_2372.jpg
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	24571446

Name:	IMG_2373.jpg
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	24571447

Here's hoping 2019 is a better year.

Name:	IMG_1908.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	24571448

Comment

Amen, Clark. Great pics, as always.

2019 will certainly be better for me as I'll actually be able to participate this coming season. Should be back in the U.S. by spring but heading to Kentucky for the next assignment. But I plan to make a few trips to el ranchito throughout the year and catch up on some chores that have been neglected for the last few years. Hopefully, I'll have the place ready for the upcoming deer season.

Thanks to all for their contributions to the thread this season and I pray many blessings on you and yours this year.

But it doesn't have to end here. Feel free to post all your "off deer season" hunting stories and pics. I would love to see some spring turkey, hog, and varmint pics. Best of luck to all. Be safe.

Comment

Awesome pics.

I shot this deer the very tail end of the season. Tough year in Spur with all the rain. By far the biggest bodied deer I've killed, just shy of 200.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                            Awesome pics.

I shot this deer the very tail end of the season. Tough year in Spur with all the rain. By far the biggest bodied deer I've killed, just shy of 200.
                            Great buck! Congrats!

Comment

Here are a few potential target bucks for next year. Hopefully the weather will be good for growing antlers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Treeshark View Post
                                Here are a few potential target bucks for next year. Hopefully the weather will be good for growing antlers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                                One of them in those pics would have walked in front of me this year on our lease I would have tried to ventilate him for sure! Never saw anything even close to those bucks on our place, very bad year for us!

Comment

Working...
                                X