No announcement yet.

Financial advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off, I would be very hesitant to listen to advice given on an internet forum. No disrespect on anyone, but medical and financial advice are both things that you better seek out experienced professionals for. I am not a professional but know a decent bit about financial planning and financial matters.

Some things that come to mind real quick.

1. How much money?
    2. What is your overall financial situation? As someone else mentioned, do you have high interest debt that could be paid down with the money? Do you have fully funded retirement vehicles already in place that you are funding on a regular basis?
    3. What is your long term/short term goal pertaining to this money?
    4. What is the timeframe you are wishing to keep the money invested?

Point is, there are many questions that would need to be answered before anyone could give you any sort of competent advice. Anything short of that is just entertainment on a hunting forum which is fine, I just wouldn't "take it to the bank" per se. If you are serious and this is a decent sum of money, seek out a trusted financial planner and get with them.

Comment

Bitcoin is low right now....

Comment

America Express high yield savings account. Pays around 2%. Sure, not much, but your funds are not restricted like a CD. Operates about like a standard savings account, FDIC insured, etc.

Comment

I would first set down and determine your current financial situation, goals, risk tolerance and wants/needs. Nothing presented would be appropriate until that is complete. Then, visit a few investment professionals. Keep in mind, most investment professionals sell liquid /tradeable products so you may not get a complete presentation of all opportunities. Put the money in a separate account until you decide where to invest it. That way it doesn't get spent. Keep in mind how soon you will need the $. If it is a long time the investment strategy will be different than a short-term one. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
            You can get better than that in a 36 month CD
            Yes!

A 12 month CD is just shy of that rate.

Comment

There are many different options depending on how long term of a position you want to take. Also depends on your risk tolerance.

You can go with the tried and true approach and put it in a fund low expense fund that follows the S&P 500. That has historically been good advise. You could also look for bonds that get you closer to the return that you are looking for, you would be better off consulting with a professional that would take into consideration your entire portfolio and your goals.

Comment

All asset classes are at a relative all time high right now. I’m selling assets right now, paying off all debt and sitting in cash in a money market account at over 2% and waiting for the world to go on sale again.
                In the long run of life, I would encourage you to become a financial expert, don’t pay for one. Be very conservative at this point of the market.

Just my opinion, everyone has one.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Full Throttle View Post
                    I’m a big fan of real estate. If you are talking about a sum of money large enough for 20-25% down on a small home and have good credit, I would consider buying a rental house. It’s not for everyone but long term, it’s tough to beat and is a pretty safe investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I’m curious what loan term? And are you investing in an area with high property tax rate. I ask because in my area with only 20-25% down & factoring high property tax, insurance & repairs wouldn’t return much in my opinion but I’m certainly no real estate guru but have entertained the option

Comment

Financial advice.

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                      I’m curious what loan term? And are you investing in an area with high property tax rate. I ask because in my area with only 20-25% down & factoring high property tax, insurance & repairs wouldn’t return much in my opinion but I’m certainly no real estate guru but have entertained the option

The house I bought this summer in Denton was 235k. Did 20% down and 4.75% for 30 years. My mortgage pmt with taxes and insurance is $1635. Taxes are around $6k I believe. I’m renting it to an employee who needed a little help for a little under market value. But I’ve seen houses on the same street in same sq ft range for $1800/(2100 sq ft home). I think most investors are happy with $100 over their payment each month. My 2nd one I’m in the process of buying now will easily get that as I found the property off market w/o realtor commissions factored in.

When you calculate the tax advantages, appreciation, tenants paying down the mortgage, over a period of time it’s really tough to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                        Buy guns and wait for the next Democrat president to be elected.
                        This👆

Comment

Talk to a financial adviser. Mine is with Edward Jones. My investments although small garnered 20% in 2017. Not sure what it will be in 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by Full Throttle View Post
                            The house I bought this summer in Denton was 235k. Did 20% down and 4.75% for 30 years. My mortgage pmt with taxes and insurance is $1635. Taxes are around $6k I believe. I’m renting it to an employee who needed a little help for a little under market value. But I’ve seen houses on the same street in same sq ft range for $1800/(2100 sq ft home). I think most investors are happy with $100 over their payment each month. My 2nd one I’m in the process of buying now will easily get that as I found the property off market w/o realtor commissions factored in.

When you calculate the tax advantages, appreciation, tenants paying down the mortgage, over a period of time it’s really tough to beat.

Ok.

Comment

Originally posted by rockyraider View Post
                              First off, I would be very hesitant to listen to advice given on an internet forum. No disrespect on anyone, but medical and financial advice are both things that you better seek out experienced professionals for. I am not a professional but know a decent bit about financial planning and financial matters.

Some things that come to mind real quick.

1. How much money?
                              2. What is your overall financial situation? As someone else mentioned, do you have high interest debt that could be paid down with the money? Do you have fully funded retirement vehicles already in place that you are funding on a regular basis?
                              3. What is your long term/short term goal pertaining to this money?
                              4. What is the timeframe you are wishing to keep the money invested?

Point is, there are many questions that would need to be answered before anyone could give you any sort of competent advice. Anything short of that is just entertainment on a hunting forum which is fine, I just wouldn't "take it to the bank" per se. If you are serious and this is a decent sum of money, seek out a trusted financial planner and get with them.
                              Disagree. I seen 5-6 doctors this year. Only 2 got it right. Some financial advisers could be selling you something they benefit from more than you. Asking 30K people on the net you can spot a trend that could lead you to a better answer.

All about perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by nothinbutwelves View Post
                                I need help with a good growth vehicle for some money. I checked on a 3 year CD and the interest rate was 2.65%. what other choices do i have
                                This isn't a good rate on a CD. Ally Bank is currently paying 2.65% on a 12 month CD. Heck they will pay you 2.00% right now on a plain old savings account.

No way I'd lock in money for 3 years at 2.65%, especially in the rising rate environment we are in.

Find the latest High Yield CD rates offered by Ally Bank. No hidden fees and no minimum balance required. Get started today. Ally Bank, Member FDIC.

Comment

Working...
                                X