No announcement yet.

Javalina, it’s what’s for dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

since its a game animal are you required to keep the meat ?

Comment

While I believe some people are skilled enough to clean and cook a Javi so it tastes good they just are not for me... The last one I killed smelled so bad I couldn't stand it. I was gagging so bad I couldn't gut it. Before that I thought I could handle any smell..

I'd like to kill another one some day though.

Comment

My brother in law brought his friend from Arizona down to Texas to hunt several years ago. This guy made Javelina meat sticks that were amazing. He gave me one before telling me what it was and i could not believe it was Jave. He did mentioned that he put it in brine water for several days prior to making jerky.

Comment

Ya know, if a person is hongry enough they will eat the north end of a south bound menstruating skunk.

Comment

Had one smoked a few years ago and it was great.

Comment

I have been wanting to kill one. Might have to try this recipe out. Thanks

Comment

I ve heard the North central Texas versions don't eat as good.

We will just watch em and think about it!
                Attached Files

Comment

I ate some cooked by a old Mexican Man said he soaked it in Vinegar in bath tub and BBQ it was outstanding,,it was years ago down in the walley...

I tried to duplicate it but didn't work for me.so I never shoot them anymore

Yep I went to great pains with cleaning several young sows..

Possem not that good but it taste better...

Comment

We used to smoke them on a pit whole. Pretty good if you ask me, similar to goat.

Comment

A guy I hunt with fixes them. Sure is good. He did bacon wrapped back strap and chili the next day good eating. They just never show up when I am hunting or I would have shot one by now.

Comment

Nothing wrong with javi. I like to brine whole and smoke them. Delicious.

Comment

WrecklessRanch
                          Looks good. Not that it matters I'm not likely to see one where I hunt.
                          165 degrees for two hours souse vide seems pretty hot. Was that just being extra cautious? What did the inside look like?

Comment

I've eaten javelina, and agree if meat is cared for and prepared correctly it's delicious.
                            Crazy to think though that they're rodents...and far relation to 'pigs'

Comment

Javi carne g is delicious, also low/slow roasted with some fresh corn tortillas and salsa Verde.

Comment

You can eat almost anything in the field and make it taste good.

But i sure won't eat a opposum or coon lol

Comment

Working...
                                X