Help me pick out a new bow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me pick out a new bow!

I've only been bowhunting for 3 years, but I feel I've "outgrown" my first bow (Bear Cruzer Ready to Hunt package). There's nothing really wrong with it, but I think I'm at the point where I'm ready to upgrade from an entry level to a nicer bow once this season is over.

I know I need to go and get my hands on them and decide for myself what I like, but I'm curious what is it that made you pick your current bow? What features won you over from other brands/bows you were interested in? Hopefully your suggestions will give me some good starting points!

Brands I am interested in are Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, and Bowtech. My budget will be about $1,500. Thanks in advance for any help!

Service is always my #1 priority. I will buy whatever brands the best shop for service carries. That’s where I would start my search. From there I go performance. I’m able bodied and can draw 100# but shoot 60... so I don’t need “smooth”... there all smooth to me. I want performance that’s reliable
    Next it grip all brands are a little ... to a lot different.

After that shoot the ones you think work best and decide

I went BowTech Realm x, and am 100% satisfied with this bow

Comment

PSE Xpedite!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        Service is always my #1 priority. I will buy whatever brands the best shop for service carries. That’s where I would start my search. From there I go performance. I’m able bodied and can draw 100# but shoot 60... so I don’t need “smooth”... there all smooth to me. I want performance that’s reliable
        Next it grip all brands are a little ... to a lot different.

After that shoot the ones you think work best and decide

I went BowTech Realm x, and am 100% satisfied with this bow

I hadn’t really thought about considering service. But with a bow I plan to hunt with for many years that should definitely be a consideration.

If anyone has any reason I should avoid certain companies because of poor customer service reputations please let me know this as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          PSE Xpedite!

What made you pick the Xpedite? Did you have any other that were a close second?

Comment

Go to a good shop that carries the majority of the brands you like and shoot them all. Go with the one you like best. Just like a new vehicle, just because I like it doesn’t mean you will.

Comment

Be sure and try out a prime.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post

I saw some Prime’s at my local shop but haven’t handled them yet. I’ll make sure to give them a look next time I go in

Comment

Originally posted by kdunn View Post
                  I saw some Prime’s at my local shop but haven’t handled them yet. I’ll make sure to give them a look next time I go in

I have a 09 Mathews and recently picked up a 16 Obsession. I just felt like Mathews had lost some ground over the years to other companies and wanted to try one. I have also liked way Elites and Primes felt after shooting them in a couple shops.

I will say this though, my bow is 9 years old and I just had the limbs replaced two weeks ago by Mathews under warranty. So I do believe in their warranty service on original owner equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                    I have a 09 Mathews and recently picked up a 16 Obsession. I just felt like Mathews had lost some ground over the years to other companies and wanted to try one. I have also liked way Elites and Primes felt after shooting them in a couple shops.

I will say this though, my bow is 9 years old and I just had the limbs replaced two weeks ago by Mathews under warranty. So I do believe in their warranty service on original owner equipment.

Wow, almost 10 years old and they’re replacing the limbs free of charge? That’s pretty good. Was anything wrong with them or they’re just getting worn out?

Comment

Originally posted by kdunn View Post
                      What made you pick the Xpedite? Did you have any other that were a close second?

Comprable speeds to most high end "speed bows" but it felt smoother and easier to shoot than any Hoyts/Matthews/Obsession/Prime bows I shot. Plus, you can get it with a 90% let off mod.

Not only did I like it, I managed to get a pass through on a moose last week at 75 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryf250 View Post
                        Go to a good shop that carries the majority of the brands you like and shoot them all. Go with the one you like best. Just like a new vehicle, just because I like it doesn’t mean you will.
                        Agreed, let the bow pick you

Comment

Originally posted by ganngus View Post
                          Comprable speeds to most high end "speed bows" but it felt smoother and easier to shoot than any Hoyts/Matthews/Obsession/Prime bows I shot. Plus, you can get it with a 90% let off mod.

Not only did I like it, I managed to get a pass through on a moose last week at 75 yds.

Yes the 90% let off option with the PSE has definitely caught my eye.

Wow! Congrats! Big game animals with a bow are still on my bucket list. That’s what the new bow will be for [emoji38]

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                            I've always shot Mathews but went with Prime this year. It seemed well balanced, smooth draw and pretty fast for my DL/DW. They also give you free replacement strings.

Comment

Originally posted by turbowhunter View Post
                              I've always shot Mathews but went with Prime this year. It seemed well balanced, smooth draw and pretty fast for my DL/DW. They also give you free replacement strings.

Mathews was at the top of the list but I will definitely be looking at some Primes as multiple people now have shown to be pleased with them

Comment

Working...
                              X