Selling Eggs How Much $$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling Eggs How Much $$

We got chickens back in May, and my 2 older boys basically do all the work, as far as taking care of them. The laying is starting to ramp up, and I made a deal with them, that if they clean out the water'rs and kept them fed, and basically did what I told them to do when I told them to do it, that they could keep the $$ if we sold any eggs. I think we have 35 hens and I've kept over some roosters in separate pen if I want to hatch some chicks later on. So what's a dozen farm fresh eggs worth? $3-4. Also, do people who by fresh eggs want them refrigerated and washed, or do they want them unwashed and un-refrigerated. They do get dirty sometimes, but I just put in a new nest box with clean hay. Any suggestion opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I prefer unwashed eggs so they don't need to be refrigerated. We buy from a family friend and that's how we receive them.

Comment

I’ve seen anywhere from $2.00 to $4.00.

Comment

Unwashed and unrefrigerated is how we get them.

Comment

Don’t wash them just wipe them with paper towel. Sell them all day long for $4 a dozen. Not sure where you live but if you have people that live close have kids go ask or have them make flyers and tell them to share friends and family. It should be non problem at all to sell 12-15 dozen a week this way. Lots of folks will just automatic order. Go ahead and buy 250 cardboard egg crates- just use a sharpie and put the date on the carton when you fill the dozen.

Comment

Man in my neck of the woods I can’t hardly give the eggs away.

Comment

Might be a dumb question, how long will they remain edible if unwashed/unrefrigerated?

Comment

I figured people would want them unwashed with the bloom on them, so they wouldn't have to refrigerate. I have a pretty big run, and when the weather gets wet, how do you keep muddy feet off the eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                  Man in my neck of the woods I can’t hardly give the eggs away.
                  Same around me. We don’t buy eggs often. Neighbor is always trying to give us eggs.

Comment

I have one of those old antique galvanize laying boxes that has like 20 boxes all filled with hay.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                      Might be a dumb question, how long will they remain edible if unwashed/unrefrigerated?
                      I've always heard 2-3 weeks then time to wash and refrigerate.

Comment

The farmers market in Houston, $7/dozen

Comment

Originally posted by mrddye View Post
                          I've always heard 2-3 weeks then time to wash and refrigerate.
                          Yeah if you think about it, a hen can lay a whole clutch of eggs in the heat of summer before she sets on them and hatches them all out, so they'll last awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                            The farmers market in Houston, $7/dozen
                            Well I just need to quit my job and start a chicken farm then

You know when your cooking an you accidentally drop an egg on the floor...bet that hurts a little more, when you pay $7/dozen.
                            Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 11-12-2020, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Guy I worked for would give every one eggs each week, handed them out every Thursday at the company meetings, weather we wanted them or not. Said he had a hard time finding people to buy them.

Comment

Working...
                              X