No announcement yet.

Neighbor built a rifle range on the fence line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one on Hwy 29 was closed because lead was flying everywhere...

Comment

Install a sky mirror on your side of the fence, directly behind his target.
      Last edited by mikemorvan; 06-14-2021, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
        Best of the west it was next door to my dad's place
        They closed a year or 2 ago

Comment

I fall in the camp of asking permission to use range. Id also just ask him to send a text when he is going to shoot if you are concerned about safety. If its just you dont like the location because you hunt close to fence then same deal. Dont hunt there when he is gonna shoot

Comment

Did you trespass your take those pictures? I couldn’t tell if your property runs parallel or perpendicular to his?

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
              It was closed because money talks. Was just fine till big money started buying the land around it for neighborhoods.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                Did you trespass your take those pictures? I couldn’t tell if your property runs parallel or perpendicular to his?
                Stuck my phone through the fence. No trespass

Comment

I’m going to climb back up on my soap box and ask, “Whatever happened to consideration of one’s neighbor’s? Geez!”

Comment

Tell him you plan on shooting back.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                      Different range. The one you are talking about is on highway 29.
                      Yep you are correct I was thinking 183 N then was fig he meant the one on 29.

Comment

Seen this before. Can it work and be safe? Yes is there potential for serious bodily injury ? Yes. Would I feel at ease ? No. Best thing to do is try and be civil. Ive seen a couple homemade ranges that worked and been called to several for your same concerns. Ai t nothing like responding to a hospital and speaking to a grandfather that was walking in the woods with his 10 year old grandson and him saying ouch That hurt. .223 shot suppressed from a long way. Luckily everyone was ok but I still think of this picture every I see one of these threads.

Good luck and keep calm
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                          I would find the guy, talk to him politely. Point out he really needs a very large berm directly behind each target stand. That is quite a bit wider and a lot taller than his targets. I would think when you get out to 800 yards a 40 ft. or 50 ft. high berm would not be too tall. I know he is not going to like that part. But really the longer the shots, a few degrees of barrel angle, is going to result in quite a big more distance off target, high, low, left or right. The idea, that you are going to hit those steel plates every shot, is a fantasy. Even if you do hit the plates every shot, there are some that will deflect off in various directions. If the stand moves, and changes the angle of the plate, in relation to the shooter, so it's not as square with the shooter, the chances of a bullet deflecting off go up quickly.
                          I have done all types of shooting at all types of targets, I have seen bullets do a lot of things, that I would not have guessed before I fired the shot. Then been around when other people were shooting, and either did not give a crap, had no clue or were thinking it was cool to ricochet bullets off of rock walls, with a AK47. Twice I had, I am pretty sure the same A hole rain multiple mags of bullets down on me, with a full auto AK 47. The guy seemed to be having a blast shooting a AK 47 at a rock wall on the property next door. On two different occasions. The first time I had bullets raining down through the trees all around me. So I moved my tripod, two weeks later I am sure the same guy showed back up, next door with the same full auto AK 47 and rained multiple mags of bullets down all around me, at my new location.

I know the guy was shooting at a very high rock wall/cliff. I would assume he had no idea that probably ever round he fired ricocheted off of that wall over to where I was. I would think he would have to have been shooting at the wall, at an angle and not straight on, but I really don't know. I never saw him.

I have shot a rack of steel plates I made years ago, many times. One time I was shooting them. A buddy who lived over a mile away, directly in the direction I was shooting, called me all types of POed, wanting to know if I was the one doing the shooting. I asked him if I was sending bullets his way, he said no, but I don't believe he would be that POed, if I was not. His place was about 1 mile from in the direction I was shooting. So I am pretty sure that the noise from 22 LR pistol I was shooting, was not his concern. I would bet some bullets made it over to his place. But he kept saying that he did not have any problems with bullets.

That fence, could help stop rounds, that go too far to the right, but may also make the bullets defect at a much sharper angle also.

If the neighbor, does not want to change anything or do changes that will make much of a difference. You will not be safe on that side of your property, when he is shooting. I would make that very clear. So you won't be able to use that area of your property. If he does not like your ideas and want to make the necessary changes, I would then try talking to a game warden. The situation may be a little out of a game warden's area that they have much say so in. But they may be able to get a person to realize, how serious things may get, if something happens while he is shooting.

A 40 or 50ft berm is WAY overkill at a 800yd target.

And also...unless you were shooting your pistol directly at your buddy’s property(aimed in the air for elevation) there’s no way a 22LR pistol sent bullets over a mile shooting flat. Especially not by ricochet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                            I’m going to climb back up on my soap box and ask, “Whatever happened to consideration of one’s neighbor’s? Geez!”
                            Exactly!
                            Could he move his shooting point to where the targets are and shoot the opposite direction?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
                              A bullet starts dropping as soon as it comes out of the barrel. So you are ok with someone shooting in the direction of your house?
                              Lol. Might research that.

Comment

L

Originally posted by 3whunt View Post
                                Lol. Might research that.
                                Why. Do bullets defy gravity?

Comment

Working...
                                X