Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing a New Wade Fishing YouTube Video Setup...Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
    That is a game changer. I could watch videos filmed like that even with the wind noise. I am digging the 360 camera ability to film other waders catching fish. My only concern would be if you have a big fish and the donut becomes a hazard. Keep making those videos for us suckers who have to work. J/K

Thanks for your feedback. I think I can mitigate the wind noise fairly easily for future vids.

I the video (on the First red I hooked) I turned to Jeremy and mentioned “20,000 Leagues”, which we had discussed might happen if a big red got caught up in the net and toppled the camera! LOL. I was actually considering dropping a few weights to anchor the donet in place, but then thought better of that idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

It would be interesting to hear the difference with what I assume is a filter like gadget activated & not...we have a guy who has a local outdoor show & you cannot even make out conversation when they are on the bay. Of course it's normally hurricane speed winds in the lower laguna madre.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        I pretty certain the rod holder can move to either side. I have the madre sling and the rod holder moves and comes off.

I just had a good discussion with Tim at Coastal Fishing Gear. Wheels are in motion to test the 360 camera out with the Wade Right harness/rod holder system!
        Last edited by Michael; 05-18-2021, 03:43 PM.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Michael I have that exact one and it can be changed from side to side. If you would like to meet up before your next planned trip and use it to see if it will work we can make it happen. Come through Hallettsville on a regular basis for softball tournaments or could meet up in LaGrange or have a buddy that works in that area daily. Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Blane View Post
            Michael I have that exact one and it can be changed from side to side. If you would like to meet up before your next planned trip and use it to see if it will work we can make it happen. Come through Hallettsville on a regular basis for softball tournaments or could meet up in LaGrange or have a buddy that works in that area daily. Let me know.
            I just shot you a PM! Thanks bud!
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              I just had a good discussion with Tim at Wade Right! Wheels are in motion to test the 360 camera out with his harness/rod holder system!

They have a really good product.

Sounds like we need a TBH wade trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                They have a really good product.

Sounds like we need a TBH wade trip.

I’m game! I like to wade.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I like it! Curious why you chose that camera over the gopro version? I came real close to buying the gopro.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
                    I like it! Curious why you chose that camera over the gopro version? I came real close to buying the gopro.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hmmm, I guess I didn’t really ever give much thought to the GoPro Max. When I first started thinking a 360 cam might be a good option for wading/kayak I initially thought of the One R because of its modularity. After watching a few YT vids, I started leaning toward the One X2 for a few reasons. Here are some thoughts on the X2 compared to the R and/or GP Max.

1. I think the long, thin “candy bar” form factor stitches better, especially up close, than a more square form factor. It also more easily fits in pant or shirt pocket. (I think I all but eliminated the GP Max because of this too.)

2. GoPro obviously does action cameras well, but I get the sense that Insta360 is dedicated to being the leader in consumer 360 cams, and I think that is reflected in their hardware and app/software technology. I saw several mentions of the GP app being “buggy”. I think it and the desktop software are “simpler”, but also less robust than the Insta360. Insta360 also has a Premiere plugin, although I’ve found it much easier to use the desktop app to keyframe and then export to Premiere for final editing.

3. Resolutions are similar in full 360 recording, but the X2 does have a 100 fps at 3k mode (single lens) that isn’t available on the Max. I don’t know how much I’ll use the single lens mode, but it’s there if I need it. And y’all know how much I like my Slow Mo!

4. I believe battery life is superior on the x2, which is important for use on the water.

5. By most accounts, still photos with the X2 are far superior to the Max. Again I don’t know how much I’ll use 360 stills, but nice to have if I do.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Thanks for the info! I have seen "interactive" 360 video from gp. You can basically use the mouse to click anywhere on the video, while it plays, and see what the camera was shooting that direction. Makes for some pretty cool Jeep trail videos, up in the Rockies. Does that make sense? Does this camera allow something similar, or is that all just a matter of which software you use?

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
                        Thanks for the info! I have seen "interactive" 360 video from gp. You can basically use the mouse to click anywhere on the video, while it plays, and see what the camera was shooting that direction. Makes for some pretty cool Jeep trail videos, up in the Rockies. Does that make sense? Does this camera allow something similar, or is that all just a matter of which software you use?
                        Yes, that was pretty much the original intent of all 360 cameras, but I don't think that aspect (interactive 360) has really taken off as much as anticipated. That's why I originally discounted 360 video cameras, not realizing the reframing aspect of creating/editing "flat" videos.

I just saw that Insta360 released a HUGE firmware update today, which allows the Loop Recording feature (that I had actually contacted Insta360 to request a few weeks ago)...but so far it's only available for the One R! I don't know whether to be excited or frustrated. Right now it has to be the latter since it's not yet offered for the X2.
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Just to update for those following...

I got the Wade Right belt on Friday and was able to do a quick test "wade" at Keller Bay. Before I went, I changed the angle of the tube to be over my left shoulder instead of the right. (Side note, that was a lot more challenging than I anticipated. I don't know if they put locktite on the screw/t-nut, or if it was just corroded, but I ended up having to cut one of them off. A quick stop at the hardware store and I was able to replace the hardware.)

I think this will work well, but I did realize that the camera probably moves around more over my right shoulder (reeling hand) than it would over my left (which is mostly stationary while holding the rod), so I'll likely switch it back. I'll try to upload a quick demo clip later today.

Last edited by Michael; 05-24-2021, 09:12 AM.
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                          X