Help on outboard motor issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on outboard motor issue

I have a Nissan 90 hp 1993 motor real strong have not had any problems until last weekend. We were at the lake it ran fine in the morning with 5 people on the pontoon. That afternoon went I went to take off it fell on its face sounding like it was loading up.

We had it at lake Weatherford two weeks prior and we putted around didn't really push it so didn't have a problem then.

Got it home put the muffs on and started it it was peeing just fine then it started to back fire and pop blowing smoke out. It is oil injected. It sounded like I lost a cylinder so I shut it off unplugged top plug and it would not start. Unplugged the middle one and it would start and sounded the same with the back firing. I unplugged the 3 plug and it would not start. So I thought well might be a coil pack so I have an identical motor that came with the boat when I bought it so I pulled the #2 coil pack and plug and placed it on the motor still not change. So Sat I pulled all three carbs and tore them completely down did a good cleaning put them back together ran ok for a min or so then starting popping and backfiring again. I'm at a lose. I know my gas is from last year but with Staybilt in the fuel.

HELP ANYONE. I mean it is just a 3 cyl 2 stoke engine it cant be that hard to fix. CAN IT?

Do a compression test on the #2 cylinder. If you have good compression and at least within 7 pounds of the #1 and #3 cylinder your engine is good. Then completely drain the old fuel and pump Berryman 0996-ARM B-9 Chem. Dip Parts Cleaner thru the carbs with the prime bulb. Let it set overnight and then replace the old fuel with new fuel and pump the Berryman's out with the new fuel again using the prime bulb. Start the motor and it will smoke for a minute or two then it should level out and run fine.

Comment

I had 2002 70hp Nissan two stroke that was low on one cylinder. The hard part was getting in to it. Most of the bolts broke off the head trying to get into it, at that point I just scrapped it and sold it for parts. My FIL said the best thing you can do for older two strokes is disable the oil injection and premix your oil/gas. At some point the oil injection is going to fail and destroy your motor. If it smokes on the start up, you know you are getting plenty of oil to engine, and you know for a fact your engine won’t die due to lack of oil.

Comment

Thanks I thought about a compression test. I will check that this weekend. I am stumped. It does smoke when started or in the lake as the 2 stroke should. It is using the oil as it should.

Comment

Did you change the plugs?

Comment

Yes I did. ^^^^

Comment

Stabil..... will help... but it's not a cure all............
              I'd start with draining the gas.... Get new fuel..........
              Don't forget to drain the bowl, as well.........
              I'm guessing it's a fuel problem..........
              Compression test, is a good idea too.........

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                Stabil..... will help... but it's not a cure all............
                I'd start with draining the gas.... Get new fuel..........
                Don't forget to drain the bowl, as well.........
                I'm guessing it's a fuel problem..........
                Compression test, is a good idea too.........
                This, ethanol is evil, dump the gas.

Comment

Did it loose the stator?

Comment

comp test is the first thing you do... always imo

then chase your tail, but not till after a comp test

Comment

i would test 1)compression, then 2)spark and 3) fuel

all in that order!

Comment

Thanks for all the advise. I will do just that in that order. Appreciate everyone.

Comment

A lot of guys delete the oil injection. It does fail a lot of the time, and you will never really know until it is to late. They just mix in the gas the tank because of failure.

Just saw TX.fisher mention this as well.

Rent a compression tester from auto parts store.

Comment

Compression 123 on all three. Three new plugs in so on to draining all the fuel putting in some carb cleaner letting set over night then draining and putting in new fuel. Thanks all.

Comment

On my 200Hp Mercury, mine acted the same way, it ended up being the stator & voltage regulator

Comment

Working...
                              X