In for pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In for the update. Good luck!

Comment

Hope yall are skinning deer!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

We got Mike’s recovered and it was a very nice 8pt with a busted G2.

So here’s how it went down with Parker’s buck... We got in the blind and had an absolute stud of an 8pt with a doe at 250 or so. Several deer came in and out and we were pretty well covered up from the time we got there until he shot. The Big 7 rolled out and he was target buck number one. He bullied off the bigger 8 and took over the does. Several does rolled up to the feeder and behind them comes the buck that I said I wasn’t sure I could hold him off of. 16-17” wide, big 6pt side on one side and just a brow and broken beam on the other. On the broken side I couldn’t tell if the tines were broken or just didn’t grow but his skull plate seemed to be cracked because that side wiggled when he walked.

I explained to Parker that it was a 1 buck county and even though the 7pt was substantially bigger he could shoot this deer. After about 3 seconds he decided he’d better just go on and kill this one. He gets under the feeder at 20yds and I screwed up... I’d been preaching to him to center punch the shoulders since we decided to come on this hunt. When the deer got under the feeder, the feeder leg was blocking his shoulder. I said, “pull off of that feeder leg and make sure you don’t hit it.” What I meant was pull forward on the shoulder 2” in front of the feeder leg. Well with everyone he knows telling him to “shoot them right behind the shoulder” and me telling him to pull off of the feeder a little, he pulls back... considerably back and he also hit a touch low. I could tell immediately that the shot was less than ideal and he runs about 40yds out and stops. When he does I try to deliver a helping shot. I dry fired because I had absolutely no intentions of shooting anything and hadn’t loaded a shell in my gun. My gun has also been having some pretty serious safety/ trigger issues to where once you fire it you have yo tap the safty spring to get the trigger to reset. I put it down, grab his H&R .243, and go to eject a shell so we can get his buck killed. The shell won’t eject... It’s locked up in the chamber. I almost broke the blade in my Case knife trying to get the hull out. None of this works and meanwhile the buck bolts and lays down behind a cedar. I tell Parks to stay put and I high tail it back to my truck, grab my AR and head in for a helper shot. By the time I get back the buck is 600yds out in the field and remained there until dark.

After a lot of talk, we decided to go take a look in the morning and see if we can recover the remains. Absolutely devastating for me to have made such a stupid mistake on “helping” him aim off of the shoulder. Also what’s the **** chances of 2 catastrophic rifle failures at the same time. I just don’t think it was meant to be on that deer. Still breaks my heart that I screwed him up on his first buck opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                We got Mike’s recovered and it was a very nice 8pt with a busted G2.

So here’s how it went down with Parker’s buck... We got in the blind and had an absolute stud of an 8pt with a doe at 250 or so. Several deer came in and out and we were pretty well covered up from the time we got there until he shot. The Big 7 rolled out and he was target buck number one. He bullied off the bigger 8 and took over the does. Several does rolled up to the feeder and behind them comes the buck that I said I wasn’t sure I could hold him off of. 16-17” wide, big 6pt side on one side and just a brow and broken beam on the other. On the broken side I couldn’t tell if the tines were broken or just didn’t grow but his skull plate seemed to be cracked because that side wiggled when he walked.

I explained to Parker that it was a 1 buck county and even though the 7pt was substantially bigger he could shoot this deer. After about 3 seconds he decided he’d better just go on and kill this one. He gets under the feeder at 20yds and I screwed up... I’d been preaching to him to center punch the shoulders since we decided to come on this hunt. When the deer got under the feeder, the feeder leg was blocking his shoulder. I said, “pull off of that feeder leg and make sure you don’t hit it.” What I meant was pull forward on the shoulder 2” in front of the feeder leg. Well with everyone he knows telling him to “shoot them right behind the shoulder” and me telling him to pull off of the feeder a little, he pulls back... considerably back and he also hit a touch low. I could tell immediately that the shot was less than ideal and he runs about 40yds out and stops. When he does I try to deliver a helping shot. I dry fired because I had absolutely no intentions of shooting anything and hadn’t loaded a shell in my gun. My gun has also been having some pretty serious safety/ trigger issues to where once you fire it you have yo tap the safty spring to get the trigger to reset. I put it down, grab his H&R .243, and go to eject a shell so we can get his buck killed. The shell won’t eject... It’s locked up in the chamber. I almost broke the blade in my Case knife trying to get the hull out. None of this works and meanwhile the buck bolts and lays down behind a cedar. I tell Parks to stay put and I high tail it back to my truck, grab my AR and head in for a helper shot. By the time I get back the buck is 600yds out in the field and remained there until dark.

After a lot of talk, we decided to go take a look in the morning and see if we can recover the remains. Absolutely devastating for me to have made such a stupid mistake on “helping” him aim off of the shoulder. Also what’s the **** chances of 2 catastrophic rifle failures at the same time. I just don’t think it was meant to be on that deer. Still breaks my heart that I screwed him up on his first buck opportunity.

It happens. Use it as a teaching moment. Good luck on the recovery.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m in. Just had the dagger buck from yesterday come through for a second. He wasn’t pleased that the feeder don’t spin until 7:15.

Parker decided last night he wants to hunt with his dad in the mornings and me in the evenings. I’ve got them set up in a different county so he still has the green light on a couple of bucks. After the morning hunt I’m gonna go look for his buck again.

Comment

Dinner bell just went off and Ol Dagger just slid back in here for a bite. He’s dang sure cool looking!

Comment

You got one in the pipe and this morning?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        You got one in the pipe and this morning?

I came in with intentions of killing so yes lol.

Dagger has camped out in the corn. A couple of does trying to sneak in and he’s paying them no attention. Several deer on the north ridge but no shooters.

Comment

I just noticed why a 7+ year old deer that’s only been seen twice before today in the daylight is all of the sudden such a feeder hog. He has a 2” gash right in his left shoulder. It’s exactly where I’d be aiming on him. Looks like a good Rage commercial to me.

Comment

Dagger left, a doe took over, and there’s a small 6 bumping does on the north ridge line.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                              I just noticed why a 7+ year old deer that’s only been seen twice before today in the daylight is all of the sudden such a feeder hog. He has a 2” gash right in his left shoulder. It’s exactly where I’d be aiming on him. Looks like a good Rage commercial to me.
                              Survivable?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                                Survivable?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                                Yessir. He has a slight limp but otherwise good.

Comment

Working...
                                X