Bare shaft tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bare shaft tuning

Been seeing a lot of videos on bare shaft tuning... is this something new? I’m familiar with the paper tuning method.. but how many people bare shaft tune? My bow shoots great out to 60 with fletchings, but shot 3 bare shafts at 20 and all hit knock up and to the left... Should I change my whole set up and start tuning??

POI left not angled left

Comment

From what I understand, if your arrows are hitting straight with a bare shaft, it is tuned correctly. I don't think POI difference matters much.
      Last edited by rfroese; 10-23-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Depends, are you shooting a compound bow or traditional? I wouldn't bother with a compound that's already been paper tuned. Now if your shooting traditional this is where bare shaft tuning really shines.

Comment

If your POI is left, that means you are slight nock right. You correct a nock right by moving the rest to the left. Do this with very small adjustments. It does not take much!!

Once your have straight flight, THEN fix up or down. If you are nock up or POI down, you need to move your rest slightly up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
            If your POI is left, that means you are slight nock right. You correct a nock right by moving the rest to the left. Do this with very small adjustments. It does not take much!!

Once your have straight flight, THEN fix up or down. If you are nock up or POI down, you need to move your rest slightly up.
            I always correct nock height first, as in a lot of cases, it will correct left/ right issues also.

Comment

I lean more towards broadhead tuning... now paper tuning and bare shaft tuning help get the process started.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                I always correct nock height first, as in a lot of cases, it will correct left/ right issues also.
                Good point. I guess I meant, correct one at a time. Not both at the same time lol. That will really get ya mad

Comment

Originally posted by JB_Archery View Post
                  I lean more towards broadhead tuning... now paper tuning and bare shaft tuning help get the process started.
                  Same. The main reason for changing anything, if the bow is already shooting good, is to get field points to group same poi as broadheads. Tuning with broadheads is the best way to do that imo. My only complaint is it chews up a target.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_Archery View Post

Shooting broadheads the bow shot same POI as the field points at 30, which is about my furthest shot and I was pleased with. I haven’t shot the broadheads past that point. Just out of curiosity I wanted to see how the bare shafts flew, it was then I noticed the dilemma.

My question is now.. do I continue to seek the perfect bare shaft flight, or do I stick with what I have and continue to shoot as is??

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRough1256 View Post
                      Shooting broadheads the bow shot same POI as the field points at 30, which is about my furthest shot and I was pleased with. I haven’t shot the broadheads past that point. Just out of curiosity I wanted to see how the bare shafts flew, it was then I noticed the dilemma.

My question is now.. do I continue to seek the perfect bare shaft flight, or do I stick with what I have and continue to shoot as is??
                      if fixed blade heads fly and group with field points out to 30 yards you are good, I wouldn't mess with a thing!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        if fixed blade heads fly and group with field points out to 30 yards you are good, I wouldn't mess with a thing!
                        I totally agree... I mainly hunt with my bow so I only focus on getting perfect flight with my broadhead and FP POI. If you extend out past 30 you could fine tune it even more but most of the time you should be good.

Comment

I bare shaft tune to 40 yards.. I can shoot most broadheads to same poi as field points.. when you tune with a certain broadhead that doesn't mean your bow is tuned.. for most people that is good enough.. but I'm picky

Comment

I just bought new FMJ 300s. I know my bow is paper tuned and looks in spec. So I just nock tuned the bare shafts out to 20 yards. I feel very confident in the new arrows.

Comment

I did this a few weeks back with my vxr. Then I took it to my local bow shop peep adjustment and they moved my rest again. What a headache.

They told me to stop watching YouTube videos and to just tune to the broad head I’m using.

Comment

Working...
                              X