• Show
Clear All

I'm 66
    Flu shot Yes
    Shingles shot. Yes
    Pneumonia shot. Yes
    And I wear a mask in public places.

Comment

Got mine last week, and have for the past ten years or so. The last time I had the flu was the first time I thought I wish I was dead.

Comment

Never have never will.
        I hate the elderly, my parent's, and the rest of the world I guess.
        We'll see where the judgement goes this time .

Comment

The flu shot includes a very small amount of 3 strains of the influenza virus, these 3 change from year to year based on predictions as to which strains will most likely effect the populace, because the chosen strains are picked via prediction, some years they are less effective, for example 2 years ago was a "bad" flu year.

I get it because my wife's a nurse and while she has to get it as well, she might bring it home on her person.

It is especially valueable to people who are older or have pre-existing health problems.

My 2 cents is hedge your bets if you don't care about getting stuck, or the 20-30 bucks.
          GoodRx sometimes runs a deal, and it's free too very cheap with most Health insurance.
          Last edited by LOC4L; 09-24-2020, 08:39 AM.

Comment

It was never a priority for me, if it was easy I got it but didn't go out of my way. Then two years ago I got Flu A that knocked me on my backside for 4 days and took another week to fully recover from. I was also on a backpacking expedition at the time and was all of a sudden a liability to my team instead of a leader. That strain of Flu A was on the vaccine that year and had I taken the shot I would have been fine.

I won't take that risk again.

Comment

Yup. They come to our office and do them. Also getting a B12 shot

Comment

I get one every year. It has become especially important for me now that I am on a medication that suppresses my immune system - my natural defenses are weaker than they used to be.

Comment

I get vaccinated almost every yr. My wife has lung complications and I work away from home. I will not risk getting ill and taking anything home and risking getting her or my kids sick. I also wear a mask/faceshield when around other people to avoid COVID exposure

Comment

Nope. Never do, likely never will. Needles don’t spook me but negative effects of vaccines do.

Comment

CDC sight says in a bad year the vaccine is 20% effective and in the good years 60%. The CDC is stating this year 46% effective but this can change once flu season starts here in the US. Most people probably don't realize that it's not nearly as protective as one would think when taking a vaccine.

Even in the best of vaccine years you still have a 40% chance of contracting the flu virus when taking the vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                        CDC sight says in a bad year the vaccine is 20% effective and in the good years 60%. The CDC is stating this year 46% effective but this can change once flu season starts here in the US. Most people probably don't realize that it's not nearly as protective as one would think when taking a vaccine.

Even in the best of vaccine years you still have a 40% chance of contracting the flu virus when taking the vaccine.
                        We'll never know as it will all somehow get lumped into Covid.

Comment

I haven't had the flu in like 25 years & that was the one & ONLY time I ever got the shot...big negative here.

I know a dozen folks who got the flu shot & still caught it this year.

Comment

nah

Comment

I dont take the shot - but I understand those that do. I have never had the flu before. Got the shot when I was young, and never had it then either.

Comment

Years ago I used to think the flu vaccine couldn’t be trusted.

Then I threw my anecdotal beliefs in the garbage. Our coincidental experiences don’t prove or even suggest correlation. Historical data does, however.

A less-severe case of the flu still proves the effectiveness of the vaccine.

But this is inconvenient logic for many who won’t listen to the greater medical community lol.

Yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X