Great Uncle was a famous photog in Miami FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Uncle was a famous photog in Miami FL

I had heard the stories about my great Uncle Carl and all the celebrities he photographed including General Patton during WWII. He took this photo in this thread and his wife took the photo of my Grandpa in this thread . I told my Dad yesterday that the photo looked as if someone with knowledge of photographic technique had taken the photo. My Aunt Natalie, my paternal grandmother's sister, did much of the behind the scenes work for Uncle Carl.

I found these links today after doing a search to see if anything came up on him. The info at the end is from the last link. I have send the one-three people a message to see if any of his work can be viewed online.

One-Three Art Collective presents The Walden Project, a compelling exhibition of works created with images by famed Miami photographer Carl Walden. ArtCenter artists-in-residence Natasha Duwin, Jules Lusson, Venessa Monokian and Hugo Moro have combined forces as One-three art collective to revive the artistic spirit of the late Walden, a historical figure whose archives need a new home and platform for viewership. In 2007, one-three art collective members Duwin, Lusson, Monokian and Moro completed a special six-month residency at ArtCenter/South Florida to develop The Walden Project. This entailed the organization of vast archives from The Carl Walden Studios, bequeathed to one-three members Lusson in 2003 upon the death of the artist's wife, Mrs. Natalie Walden. Photographer Peggy Levison-Nolan joined the collective in selecting large-format negatives from the archives, mostly to generate prints highlighting Walden's talent as windows into the culture of Mid-century Miami. With images chosen for their historical significance, new pieces in a variety of non-traditional shapes and artifacts were born of Walden's classic photographs. one-three art collective premieres The Walden Project at ArtCenter/South Florida in hopes of finding a local artistic institution that will preserve The Carl Walden Archives in perpetuity. "We aspire to grasp the attention of South Florida's historical institutions with the appropriate facilities to preserve The Carl Walden Archives," said one-three art collective members. "Whether shown in whole or in part for the use of scholars and artists, our mission is to re-introduce the works of this great photographer and to pay homage to his legacy." Formed in 2003, one-three art collective participated in the 2006 IX Havana Biennial and 2007 All-Media Juried Biennial. On view from July 24 to August 31, 2009, opening night, Saturday July 25, 7:00pm-10:00pm at ArtCenter-South Florida gallery, 800 Lincoln Road. The reception and show is free and open to the public. Also on Saturday July 25 from 7-10pm join us for our New Monthly Art Raffle Drawing. The ArtCenter/ South Florida will be holding a raffle every month spotlighting a different resident artist's work. Each $10 ticket purchased will be entered into a drawing that will be held during the opening reception of our upcoming show. Please see the Gallery Attendant for information or to purchase tickets. Thank you for supporting the arts! This month featuring artist W. Andre Allen Studio 924-202

one-three - an art collective, Natasha Duwin, Hugo Moro, Jules Lusson, Venessa Monokian

Eventful is an online calendar & events discovery service, offering tour dates & tickets for concerts, festivals, movies, performing arts, sports & more.

This from the last link.

Swedish-born Carl Walden began as a photographer to the stars at Harper's Bazaar and later became the official photographer of the McFadden Deauville Hotel (demolished in 1958). Many of Walden’s photos depict entertainers from the 40s through the 70s who performed in Miami, including Billy Graham, Walter Winchell, Gipsy Rose Lee and Charles Atlas. In 2007 Hugo Moro, Venessa Monokian, Natasha Duwin and Jules Lusson - the One-Three Art Collective - undertook The Walden Project, organizing the vast archives from The Carl Walden Studios, bequeathed to Lusson in 2003 upon the death of the artist’s wife, Mrs. Natalie Walden. Photographer Peggy Levison Nolan joined in to select large-format negatives from the archives, mostly to generate prints highlighting Walden’s talent and the culture of mid-century Miami. This exhibition re-introduces the works of Carl Walden and pays homage to his legacy.

Place
    The ArtCenter/ South Florida Gallery

Found an even more interesting article.

Comment

That's pretty cool, Bill. I bet the photos would awesome to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie6Delta View Post
        That's pretty cool, Bill. I bet the photos would awesome to look at.
        Pat I couldn't begin to fathom what might be in 30+ years of photographs. I know my Dad and Uncle went and helped their aunt on several occasions in her later years and brought back very small amounts of memorabilia. I am going to be contacting cousins from that uncle to see what they may have ended up with when he passed away.

Comment

I have found contact info for Ms. Lusson and will mail a registered letter to her. My Dad told me the other day that Uncle Carl became good friends with President Herbert Hoover. Uncle Carl told Dad they "became good drinking buddies". He also photographed Bing Crosby and Maureen O'Hare. I'd love to see those.

My aunt met him in Chicago in the late 1930s when she was a hat model. My grandmother would travel to Miami to visit her sister or her sister, sometimes with Carl would come to Texas. My grandmother and her sister couldn't have lived much different lives from each other but they were sisters and loved each other very much. It was easy to see.

My Dad told me that Uncle Carl's brother photographer Patton relieving himself in the Rhine River. I always thought that photo was one of Uncle Carl's. I like to see that one too.

Comment

My dad sent me a couple of pics so I thought I would post them here.

Uncle Carl and Aunt Natalie in April 1993. Notice the address numbers on the house.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Carl and Natalie Walden-April231993 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	24212639

My Dad and his two brothers with Aunt Natalie. My Dad is holding the two fish in the back.

Name:	Carl Walden Photo 1947- Natalie and her 3 Nephews from HoustonTx (Medium).JPG
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	24212640

They owned a place in N. Carolina. My Dad and uncle helped when she sold the place. A photo of my Dad with her in 1950.

Name:	Natalie Walden with W T BIll Morris 1950 (Medium).JPG
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	24212641

Name:	Natalie Walden with Nephew WT Bill Morris- Laurel Springs NC-Oct 1993 (Medium).JPG
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	24212642

Comment

That is cool, Bill. That fishing pic is neat. I love going through old family photos. When my grandmother passed away several years ago, I went through box after box photos. I had a blast, I love seeing the old houses, cars and motorcycles. My coolest find was a pair of brand new 1938(?) Texas license plates, still in the box.

Comment

I'm not sure if you check for messages. I knew Natalie and Carl, from summers spend in Ashe county. I have a story about them, and a photo of him in the 50s before a fox hunt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent you a message, I'm interested and I'm sure my dad is.
                  Last edited by Bill M; 04-24-2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Sent an email, let me know if you got it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X