No announcement yet.

Amistad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

454 is closed they just closed it 2 weeks ago.! Might want to try the rock quarry camp area it’s right in the middle of areas 1&3 and area 2 is just down the road . I doubt it will be rented might want to call the visitor center only $30 bucks not to bad and it’s really close to the hunting spots..!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That would be great but says 15 person minimum? Maybe we can have a TBH party out there.

Comment

Yeah I rent it all the time all it means is you pay is $30 for the first “15 people” then $2 after that per person.! Perfect location and super private.!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt3 View Post
          American camp ground doesn't allow deer hunters to bring deer on property.
          Quarter it up and put it in the ice chest before going back to camp. They don't want to see your deer, they don't want you to clean your deer in the campground and they don't want you throwing deer parts in their dumpsters. I don't have a problem with that.

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Lots of good info on this thread, i just got my permit in the mail and have been trying to plan a trip out there but due to work i may only get one day maybe two at the most off. is it worth the 3 hour drive for a day hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by josepht View Post
                Lots of good info on this thread, i just got my permit in the mail and have been trying to plan a trip out there but due to work i may only get one day maybe two at the most off. is it worth the 3 hour drive for a day hunt?

Just depends when you can get off. Weekends are generally more crowded and obviously deer tend to be extra spooky. If you can get off during mid to late week it's defenitly worth the trip IMHO

Comment

Thanks Pedernal, it will for sure be a during the week trip i was thinking about getting there early and spending a whole day in area 5 looking for sheep, are there any good glassing points where you can see a good ways?

Comment

Any suggestions on where to hunt Amistad where there is a strong North-North west wind? I’m new to Amistad and bow hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzote View Post
                      Any suggestions on where to hunt Amistad where there is a strong North-North west wind? I’m new to Amistad and bow hunting.
                      Area 1 has a large "bowl" just of the highway... It's actually a bowl shaped terrain feature that is at the end of a long finger draw that comes off of lake amistad... There is some actuall soil and should be bursting with browse die to all the rain. Enter from the southern entry gate for area 1 and walk the trail right to it... The wind will be in your favor... Normally the deer walk into that area keeping the prevailing southeast wind at their face/nose..

Good luck out there...

Comment

Originally posted by josepht View Post
                        Thanks Pedernal, it will for sure be a during the week trip i was thinking about getting there early and spending a whole day in area 5 looking for sheep, are there any good glassing points where you can see a good ways?
                        There are a couple of spots that you can glass from and see the majority of the flat tops... I will PM you a couple of suggestions later tonight...

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          There are a couple of spots that you can glass from and see the majority of the flat tops... I will PM you a couple of suggestions later tonight...
                          Sounds good thank you!

Comment

Thinking about going out tomorrow morning, anyone make it out this weekend so far?
                            Just wondering how busy it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmill View Post
                              Thinking about going out tomorrow morning, anyone make it out this weekend so far?
                              Just wondering how busy it is.

Did you end up hunting today? in for an update

Comment

Nope decided to hit church instead. Possibly headed out tomorrow if my wife is feeling better.

Comment

Working...
                                X