Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing wrong with 308 and managed recoil

Comment

260 (6.5 Creedmoor) & 7-08 would be worth a look too.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=730408
      Last edited by 300rem7; 05-03-2019, 04:10 PM. Reason: add link

Comment

.243 and use 100 grain loads. That caliber/load combination has taken everything in North America. Of course there are other good rounds, .260, .25/06, etc. I'd stay under .30 caliber for a younger hunter.

Comment

Budget ?
          For the money the tc compass is a great rifle. We have 2 and they both shoot less than 1” groups at 100. Definitely want to buy the mcarbo trigger spring kit for it though.

Like others have said the ar platform can be great for kids to grow into with the adjustable stocks.

Comment

I was shooting a .243 at 6 years old, and still love to carry one! Its a great whitetail caliber.

Comment

I have a tc compass 6.5 and love it, my 9yr old shoots it regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just my .02 and experience with youngsters and deer rifles.

My little nephew hunted with me for a couple trips using our 257 roberts. He was 10 years old. The next year, he wanted to shoot my 308 and did so very well. (Tikka T3) shot a doe at 239 yards. Kid is a better shot than i am.

For Christmas last year, his dad got him a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM with a nikon 4-12x42. Its easier on him with lighter recoil than the 308 and it’s just a deadly accurate rifle. He paid right at $450 for the gun/scope combo. Shot a 5”x6” plate at 150 off shooting sticks and flopped his first axis closer to 160 yards.
                Personally, i would go with the Ruger American Predator just from my personal experience with it for a cheap rifle. If you are not stuck on 308 cartridge, look into the 7-08 or 6.5 cm, especially if its for a youngster.
                I’m about to buy one for myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X