Homemade suppressor??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
    bought mine for 350 from american manufacturing, but they arent in business anymore. id be surprised if materials really cost 300, im sure some of that goes to the machines
    I'd say 90% of the cost is the machining

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
      Why would you do paperwork, and a tax stamp on a $8 oil filter? I’ll stick with commercial cans.

Well i have commercial cans and did paper work on a trap . More so just to see how it would really work . for a bolt gun or even in my 223 AR they work very well and are 200 -300 total .

most commercial units are much more than that .

There is a company called rebel that have some low cost cans I have no direct hands on so cannot say if their 300 dollar unit is as good as a dead air or gemtech etc

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
        Well i have commercial cans and did paper work on a trap . More so just to see how it would really work . for a bolt gun or even in my 223 AR they work very well and are 200 -300 total .

most commercial units are much more than that .

There is a company called rebel that have some low cost cans I have no direct hands on so cannot say if their 300 dollar unit is as good as a dead air or gemtech etc

Interesting... I do have commercial cans and the durability and functionality seem to be well thought out.

Comment

As you know there is not much in them so if the fit is right and the OD of the can is larger enough what more do you want . I get the fancy name brand but for 59 dollars a very good muzzle brake with adapter screw it on quick and the can works .

Some one did a DB test and it was so close hard to say that one was a real winner over the other . As well let say you have a large can for 30 cal Ok well shooting small cal though it it will be a reduction in efficiency .

But take the home made one and buy two sets of " dry storage cups and one extra end cap.

you can have 556 or 6.5 or 30 .

For a few dollars .

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
            This. I sent mine to rusty. Where did you go?
            I emailed Rusty yesterday about building one for me. He said if I completed the Form 1, my cost to him would be just under $800. This was for a 6.5 creedmore build, with a titanium tube and he would cut, clip, add spacers as needed, and test it.
            Unless I misunderstood him, personally, I’d rather spend that money on a bigger established company.

Comment

A guy in the following thread asked a similar question and I posted pictures of my form 1s internals. And posted links.
              https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=697106

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                I emailed Rusty yesterday about building one for me. He said if I completed the Form 1, my cost to him would be just under $800. This was for a 6.5 creedmore build, with a titanium tube and he would cut, clip, add spacers as needed, and test it.
                Unless I misunderstood him, personally, I’d rather spend that money on a bigger established company.

Sorry yes that is a high cost / As well many will use a wave washer to keep the baffles? dry storage cups tight.. This method is also used on commercial cans .

No sure where the 800 came in at was this a direct mount or a QD what size OD of the item ,

Comment

What does it cost to set up the trust?

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                    I did my own for free, but the last 4 I used silencer shops single shot trust for $25 or whatever. Quick, painless and cheap

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                      Sorry yes that is a high cost / As well many will use a wave washer to keep the baffles? dry storage cups tight.. This method is also used on commercial cans .

No sure where the 800 came in at was this a direct mount or a QD what size OD of the item ,
                      The tube would be 1.625 x7.8”. It also had a QD mount. I’m sure its all good parts, and put together right. But heck, that’s a right there with some of the major manufacturers for cost. I just assumed it would be closer to $4-500.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                        If I were to do it again I would pay Sean Cody his fee for drawing up a trust. I've considered contacting him to see if my cut rate trust could be modified.

Comment

Originally posted by Statton48 View Post
                          He said it only cost him around $300 to make some of his better ones.
                          $300 is halfway to some of the best centerfire suppressors on the market. Don't half-azz a lifetime purchase.

Comment

Well one I bought has QD mount with MZ brake and was less than 300 to my door

Comment

I'm curious for those that have done a F1 can, how is the POI shift and accuracy compared to a commercial can?

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                                I'm curious for those that have done a F1 can, how is the POI shift and accuracy compared to a commercial can?
                                Rusty on the form1 forum claims zero POI shift with the Double Hybrid Clip on his RSCs cups but all 4 of mine shift big time because I drilled and clipped them with a crappy Harbor Freight drill press. Accuracy is about the same on my heavy barrel guns. The pencil barrels benefit more because it helps with the harmonics. Surprisingly, the one I built for my 45-70 Marlin Lever action works the best despite the .51" bore.

Honestly, it's kind of satisfying building your own, but I didn't save that much over just shopping commercial can deals. I wish I could trade all of my Form 1s for more Omega 9ks and Omega 762s.

If I do another Form 1, then it will be an integral one or OTB.

Comment

Working...
                                X