No announcement yet.

How serious do you consider wind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I consider the wind. Then pick the stand I want and hunt. I take steps to minimize my human scent and use good cover scent. 95% of the time I can fool a whitetail. 0% of the time a pig.

Gary

Comment

Wind is the number 1 thing that will make you or break you on a mature buck. Because of this, you have to understand and realize that that not all properties are even huntable on certain wind directions. You can’t just set up on the south side of your feeder because you have a north wind. What if your deer are bedding south of the feeder? What if you’re on a smal place, say, 100 acres and your only access is from the south. You either can’t hunt or you have to be VERY careful going in on a south wind. Your scent is being blown all over the property just walking in. Entry, exit, and stand placement all play a roll in avoiding a deer’s nose.

Comment

0%

Comment

This past weekend was first time wind was in my favor. Had a sow and fork come in. Must matter some because had zero on all prior handful of sits with a bad wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

wind dictates when & where I hunt.

Well rain also, my hunting grounds are currently flooded

Comment

Yep, wind is the #1 factor.

I primarily hunt out of a climber so I can use different trees based upon wind direction and anticipated deer travel routes. I will also try to utilize natural funnels/barriers to help influence how deer will approach.

Comment

i don't worry about wind. i just point an Ozonic at all cardinal and intermediate directions. it's like a force field of scent killing ozone.

Comment

It's something I've been paying more & more attention too. I've noticed its makes a huge difference in regards to entering & exiting the stand. So, much so, I have a couple of good spots that I am having to rethink, because the deer bed in the worst possible spot for my entry to the stand....

Comment

Originally posted by mev002 View Post
                    It's something I've been paying more & more attention too. I've noticed its makes a huge difference in regards to entering & exiting the stand. So, much so, I have a couple of good spots that I am having to rethink, because the deer bed in the worst possible spot for my entry to the stand....
                    we moved a good stand on our lease because there just wasn't a good way to get to it with out getting busted.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorcules View Post
                      Wind. Is. Everything.

This, I don't believe you can truly get rid of all your scent.

Comment

I take it all the way serious.

Comment

The whole double thread thing has me confused but here is what I posted in the other one....

While thermals help I never hunt a bad wind...not only that but I spent a bunch of time before setting up a stand considering the "normal" winds and how the deer are most likely to approach an area. I look for an isolated tree with a wide open behind me and brush/trees in front of me. I do everything I can to keep the deer where they cannot smell me. I have also used creeks and such to achieve this. Put the stand on one side and the feeder on the other. Used brush and fallen trees to help direct the deer around me. I work way to hard at this sometimes.....lol....the best way to sum this up is to quote one of my hunting buddies...." The chit we do for deer".....

-john

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
                            we moved a good stand on our lease because there just wasn't a good way to get to it with out getting busted.
                            That's what I am considering. The stand/ feeder location is great for the wind. But access to it sucks. My camera has constant pics of deer, but when I walk in, I get busted. I'm considering entering from a completely different location, which I would have to cross a big draw. Not impossible, but a little more work to make this spot pay off.

Comment

I don’t take it seriously . It’s jokes blow....

Comment

I never hunt a stand when wind is wrong. I typically have two stands for one hunting area, so I can hunt in multiple wind directions. Typically wind in Texas is from the Southeast or NNW during hunting season. I don't hunt feeders, only hand corn. Scent control does not work on mature deer.

Young bucks and does will put up with smelling you, if they are hungry. This causes hunters to get lazy and comfortable. Mature wild bucks will get one sniff and be gone, typically you don't even see them or know that they were coming in. I see tons of stands set up with in 20 yards of a feeder and wonder how mature deer are ever killed in this set up. If I hunt a feeder, my stand is at least 80 yards away, if not typically further. Set feeder time to 2 seconds, then hand corn to me and infront of me. Mature bucks would prefer to eat as far away from a feeder as they can and still have enough food. This is all in a heavily pressured area, don't know about hunting places with less skittish deer.
                                Wind is everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X