TPWD Draw Hunts Axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD Draw Hunts Axis

Does anyone know if any of the WMA areas in the drawings have free ranging axis?

Thanks

I don't know man honestly

Comment

Yes some do but the whole reason for these state hunts is to eliminate ALL non-native animals from the property. Is hard to say which place has more of them since the can jump fences and evade pressure from hunters, hikers or bird watchers. Good luck

Comment

Yes some do, there is an exotic of draw as well

Comment

South llano river had a bunch when we went camping there a few years ago. Its a tough draw from what i see

Comment

They shoot a bunch at the Garner State Park Draw

Comment

Good to know. I got bit with the axis bug.

Comment

Originally posted by texaswoods5 View Post
                South llano river had a bunch when we went camping there a few years ago. Its a tough draw from what i see
                Always seen a bunch in the park

Comment

Looks like in 2015, it was Caprock, Garner, Mason Mountain, Palo Duro, and Devil's River.

Caprock - Hogs and aoudad
                  Garner - Hogs and axis
                  Mason Mountain - Gemsbok, Oryx, kudu, waterbuck, sable (looks like you can only hunt the first two)
                  Palo Duro - Aoudad and hogs
                  Devil's river - aoudad, axis and hogs

That's all I have found. Maybe wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by niceg3s View Post
                    Devil's river - aoudad, axis and hogs
                    I got to hunt there 3 or 4 years ago. Never saw a axis. The guy running the hunt said there were some there but were low in numbers.
                    Kerr WMA had some, but when I hunted that back in the late 90's, TPWD were trying to kill off every exotic out there.

Comment

Pretty tough to get drawn for those huh?

Comment

Mason Mountain is also a cull hunt. Meaning you ain't going home with any wall art.

Comment

Yes. But u could literally put in for a lifetime and not draw. (I have 14 preference points right now). If u really want axis go buy an axis hunt. That's my advice

Comment

Garner draws youth hunts and has axis, we were drawn 5-6 years ago and 1 of 7/8 killed

Comment

Originally posted by beardedBrazos View Post
                              Yes. But u could literally put in for a lifetime and not draw. (I have 14 preference points right now). If u really want axis go buy an axis hunt. That's my advice
                              Pretty much....those are tuff draws from everyone I've talked to. OP how many points do you have? I'm sitting at 5-6 not expectign exotic draw until over 10 even then look at how many apply its slim chance.
                              For the whitetail hunts I apply those spots as well hoping I may skip in that way.hasnt happend yet...one day it will

Comment

Working...
                              X