No announcement yet.

chinese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My friend Paul Jones (USMC) was in the Chosen Reservoir. He passed a few years ago. One tough man. RIP Paul.

Comment

You read those first hand accounts and its just brutal. I can not even begin to imagine what it must have been like.
      I have a pair of Mickey Mouse boots from the Korean War. Warmest dang boots ever.

Comment

Jeff Shaara

The Frozen Hours

Great Book

He did Killer Angels. A book a couple of Gettysburg movies were based on

He does historical fiction.

Historically accurate. But flashes out characters to tell the story.

Did 3 WW2 books also.

Frozen Hours is excellent.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

My dad was there with the combat engineers attempting to get the hydroelectric plant we had earlier destroyed up and running. Told me the first winter there our cold weather gear was totally inadequate for the extreme temps. Said the cold saved a bunch of wounded also but frostbite took a lot of extremities. He said the Chinese had canvas tennis shoes like converse, and quilted coats and pants, said he almost felt sorry for them. Mass charges from the Chinese getting repelled by machine gun fire, literally stacking the bodies.

Later, after that battle, he was a liason staff sergeant as they built/rebuilt roads and bridges. Traveled between the work sites, and the headquarters. Got them to give him an M1, as the carbine was not effective enough when they encountered sniper fire. I am going by memory, but I think he was in the 444th combat engineers. He would talk occasionally, but he was mostly non combatant, except for the Chosin, where everyone fought, he was not a front line fighter.
          He joined the navy in 1942 immediately after graduating high school. Served 4 years as a corpsman, working in hospitals in Corpus, Kingsville, and the Dallas naval air station. Never left the country. He was sitting in 29 Palms awaiting the invasion of Japan when the atomic bombs were dropped. 4 yrs in the navy and he never got on a ship. The first ride on a ship he took was in the army going to Korea. He knew he would be drafted back into the navy, when Korea started up, and he didn't want to be a corpsman/medic so he joined the army and got in the combat engineers. 7 yrs total in the military. When his time was up after Korea, they wanted him to go to helicopter school, but he was newly married with a son (my older brother) just born while he was deployed, and went home and went to refrigeration school, and did hvac work until a few months before he died in 1971 when he died of mesothelioma.
          Just a short bio of my fathers military service, a member of our greatest generation.

Comment

I think this was the only war since 1800's that my family did not fight in. The boys were too young and my grand fathers were medically discharged from injuries in WW2.

Comment

Worked with a guy in the early 2000's that was a Korean War Vet. He said that was the most miserable place he's ever experienced, either wet or frozen at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                I would suggest “On Desperate Ground” by Hampton Sides
                I finished this book a few weeks back. Excellent read.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                  They never retreated. Just attacked in a different direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  My best friends dad (when I was growing up) was a Marine at Chosin. My Dad was a Vietnam era Marine. Much respect passed between them.

The actual quoted alluded to above is:

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction." said By General Oliver P. Smith, Commander of the 1st Marine Division at the Battle of Chosin Reservoir.
                  Last edited by Billy Bad Bass; 01-02-2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. God bless all who serve.

Comment

The “Frozen Chosen”. One of the most forgotten, vicious wars this country ever fought. Help us never to forget those men.

Comment

I havent forgotten. My grandpa served in the Marines just after WW2. Sent to Korea but wasnt at Chosin, he was shot and sent home. Said it was pretty rough, but loved the Corp.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Well it's a war that they dont teach much on nwow because not much changed. Luckily we still have those who's family served to keep it going and write about it. I never met my great grandfather on my moms side, but he served in Korea. My grandma said he was never the same, and very bitter after.

Comment

Got my book for Christmas. Can't wait to start it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                                I would suggest “On Desperate Ground” by Hampton Sides
                                This is the one I got as referenced above. Thanks for the recommendation

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X