Suggestions needed for guided fishing trip for kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions needed for guided fishing trip for kids

My cousin is a single mom. She wants to get her boys (ages 13 & 14) a guided fishing trip for Christmas and she asked me for suggestions. She is thinking of sometime in January. I'm not sure what to tell her. I normally dont fish during winter. I know some big trout can be caught this time of year but its my understating that the bite is slow. That may not be ideal for two impatient adolescents on their first guided trip. Should I try to convince her to wait until it warms up in the spring or is wintertime fishing by still productive enough to be fun for two kids? Thanks.

Get them on some sandbass or hybrids or stripers. Or a combo of. Once your on the fish, action can be pretty quick, even in winter (which is my favorite time for them). And methods for fishing for them very simple.

Comment

if you’re looking for saltwater, give Glenn(coastalducks) a call. He’s in Matagorda, really good with kids and novice anglers, and I’m pretty sure he catches more fish than anybody out there. Glenn’s Guide Service. Fishing stays pretty good just depends on the weather.

Comment

I like bay fishing in the winter much more than summer ( to hot in summer unless it’s offshore fishing) lots of reputable guides around, on the coast, definitely depends on how far you want to drive
        Choke canyon has some great catfish guides and sand bass , same with brauning And calavaris near San Antonio ,
        Give Brandon A a pm he has striped bass guides on Buchanan in burnet

Comment

Those sound like good suggestions guys. I appreciate it. Pilar- these are the same boys you offered for them to come shoot a hog. I dropped the ball on that one. Their mom has been really good about trying to get them into the outdoors even though she doesn't know much about it.

Comment

Glen ( coastal ducks) but fishing in January can be sketchy due to weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sand bass (white bass)
              Early in the new year.
              I don’t know a guide, but good luck.

BP

Comment

If considering saltwater, Rockport is a nice choice in the winter. Something easy for the kids would be reds and drum with Phillip Durst (just one more guide service). Set the poles and when it happens they will have a incredible run for their money. January will have lower tides and deeper holes only reachable by airboat can be the ticket. Adam Neslony (back lakes lodge) is a awesome airboat guide with younger children of his own. If the fishing is slow, the ride will make up for it usually.

Comment

Good luck--------I'm no help...….
                  she sounds like, a really good mom...…………..
                  don't ya just love a mom, trying to instill some toxic
                  masculinity...………..

Comment

Should I suggest they wait and go later on toward spring when it warms up? I dont think the boys care what they catch as long as they are catching something.

Comment

How far is she willing to travel?

Comment

If she waits until spring I may be running a few catfishing trips. Look up Nueces River Retreat on AirB&B to see the house. I should be doing the same as last year and "guiding" multi-day trips. Basically I'll be fishing (jug lines, trot lines, and R&R off dock) and people go with. I have no set dates, prices or anything yet. PM me if she may want to do this.

Links to last years trips.

links to first two trips are on post 1.

Comment

Within 2-3 hours of Boerne

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
                            Within 2-3 hours of Boerne
                            I'd 100% look at Lake Buchanan then. Some good guides are mentioned above. My favorite time of year to go is like November so I think January would be fine.

Comment

You must check out Bob Maindelle. Go to his blog at holdingthelineguideservice.com.

My last several trips with him we caught, 125, 216, and 136. He fishes Belton and Stillhouse Lakes in central Texas. He is super kid friendly, and loves to teach his fishing techniques. And from now thru Feb the fish will be stacked up. You can also reach him at 254-368-7411. I will promise you the kids will have fun and they WILL catch fish.

Comment

Working...
                              X