Egg Nog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alton Browns recipe:
    12 large eggs (pasteurized if you need peace of mind)
    1 pound sugar
    1 pint half-n-half
    1 pint whole milk
    1 pint heavy cream
    1 cup Jamaican rum
    1 cup cognac
    1 cup bourbon
    1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (plus more for serving)
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Separate the eggs and store the whites for another purpose.
    Beat the yolks with the sugar and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until the mixture lightens in color and falls off the whisk in a solid “ribbon.”
    Combine dairy, booze and salt in a second bowl or pitcher and then slowly beat into the egg mixture.
    Move to a large glass jar (or a couple of smaller ones) and store in the fridge for a minimum of 2 weeks. A month would be better, and two better still. In fact, there’s nothing that says you couldn’t age it a year, but I’ve just never been able to wait that long. (And yes, you can also drink it right away.)
    Serve in mugs or cups topped with a little extra nutmeg grated right on top.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
      Alton Browns recipe:
      1 pound sugar
      1 pint half-n-half
      1 pint whole milk
      1 pint heavy cream
      1 cup Jamaican rum
      1 cup cognac
      1 cup bourbon
      1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Beat the yolks with the sugar and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until the mixture lightens in color and falls off the whisk in a solid “ribbon.”
      Combine dairy, booze and salt in a second bowl or pitcher and then slowly beat into the egg mixture.
      Move to a large glass jar (or a couple of smaller ones) and store in the fridge for a minimum of 2 weeks. A month would be better, and two better still. In fact, there’s nothing that says you couldn’t age it a year, but I’ve just never been able to wait that long. (And yes, you can also drink it right away.)

This sounds legit! I'm gonna have to try a batch

Comment

Alton Browns recipe:
        1 pound sugar
        1 pint half-n-half
        1 pint whole milk
        1 pint heavy cream
        1 cup Jamaican rum
        1 cup cognac
        1 cup bourbon
        1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

My recipe very similar only thing I do differently is number one I only use bourbon and number two once my yolks are wisked I slowly very slowly add the bourbon to the yolk mixture.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
          Can't stand the stuff. I try every year.
          The whole concept is nasty to me. I can't bring myself to even TRY it...

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
            HEB....grab a nog from the cooler, crack it open, drink nog while shopping, pay for empty container.
            If I drank a 1/2 gallon in the store there would need to be a clean up on isle 6. Lol!!!

Comment

Pennsylvania Dutch at Spec’s, add a jigger of bourbon and fresh nutmeg, delicious!

Comment

Meh, I could do without.

Comment

My favorite eggnog recipe. Take a glass, add 2 parts bourbon, then enjoy. Heck, I think I'll have one right now.

Comment

All egg nog haters were the "picky" kids in their families.

Comment

Yeah that’s the recipe we use Alton’s. Nothing like cold winter nite right before bed and after adult beverages a good aged nog by the fire before bed. Heck my kids leave some for Santa in my Christmas vacation moose mugs.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Braums

Gary

Comment

Whatever they sell at HEB and healthy dose of Jim Beam or Weller

Comment

Southern comfort vanilla spice is my go to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Southern Comfort ^^^ Traditional and Vanilla Spice are both excellent IMO. You can feel your arteries closing up while drinking....but hey it’s only during the holidays.

Comment

Alton Browns recipe:
                                1 pound sugar
                                1 pint half-n-half
                                1 pint whole milk
                                1 pint heavy cream
                                1 cup Jamaican rum
                                1 cup cognac
                                1 cup bourbon
                                1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

I basically use this recipe, mix it up and leave it in the fridge for about 3 days before serving. When I serve it I like to put it in a nice pitcher, usually one my wife just purchased. Then I throw it all in the trash, because egg nog is disguising [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X