Range Finder or No Range Finder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would you not?

I usually use a tape measure prior to my first sit to measure prominent landmarks but critters don't always follow the script.

Comment

I carry one and usually use it to range landmarks. I don't have a set place to hunt so each stand could be different.

I also carry one with me on pig hunts, but mostly use it to test and retest my perceived distances as I'm moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Torn left rotator cuff forced me to switch to a crossbow, I have one for my grandson and 2 for myself. Both of mine have the Leupold Vendetta rangefinder on them. I haven't found anything slicker than these. And they look to be legal in Texas as shown in my avatar.

Comment

I carry one on all hunts. I usually range sticks and trees and rocks ahead of time so I have a good idea of ranges before hand.

Comment

Always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw_6 View Post
                Why would you not?
                Because I can estimate ranges inside of 40 yards very good. I started bow hunting long before there was range finders so I practiced a lot on guessing yardages and shooting those guessed yardages. Believe it or not, with practice you can get very good at it. Most people now, only practice at marked yardages so they feel they need a range finder and that's perfectly fine. For me, it's something I will use on long distances but it's not needed for shots under 40 yards. Heck, most of us are hunting feeders and we should already know the distance of the feeder and since most also don't shoot past 30 yards, there really is no need. I see a deer standing behind my feeder I want to shoot, I know my feeder is at 21 yards and I can easily guesstimate that deer is 7 yards past the feeder so I shoot him for 28 yards. If I'm off a yard or two it isn't going to matter as long as I do my part.

Comment

I don't carry one, but I have ranged land marks around my feeder. I know my feeder is at 18 yards from my tripod, big rocks bushes and trails have all been ranged ahead of time.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                    Just curious, how many guys carry and use a range finder when bow hunting?
                    100% of the time

Comment

I use one to know distances from my blind when I set it up

Comment

Im never without it.

Comment

I have a range finder but I only use it if hunting somewhere I have not been. My personal stands are all set up and I mark the distances out to where I am comfortable shooting usually not more than 35 yards. Even when using a range finder I will range out the shooting lanes so I'm not fumbling for it when a deer does come in.

Comment

When I started bowhunting many years ago, I hunted my first two years without a range finder. I missed a lot. After getting one I have been much more successful.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                              Because I can estimate ranges inside of 40 yards very good. I started bow hunting long before there was range finders so I practiced a lot on guessing yardages and shooting those guessed yardages. Believe it or not, with practice you can get very good at it. Most people now, only practice at marked yardages so they feel they need a range finder and that's perfectly fine. For me, it's something I will use on long distances but it's not needed for shots under 40 yards. Heck, most of us are hunting feeders and we should already know the distance of the feeder and since most also don't shoot past 30 yards, there really is no need. I see a deer standing behind my feeder I want to shoot, I know my feeder is at 21 yards and I can easily guesstimate that deer is 7 yards past the feeder so I shoot him for 28 yards. If I'm off a yard or two it isn't going to matter as long as I do my part.

LOL

I can estimate ranges as well. I do it year round.

But again, why "estimate" when you can be exact. A living critter deserves better than an "estimate". A five yard error in estimate can absolutely be the difference between a quick kill and a slow painful death from infection.

Comment

I hunt the same 3 stands and have for several years. I take the rangefinder out and check distances to my usual landmarks at each stand, then put it away. Might repeat a month later as a refresher since my "rememberer" is getting a bit faulty.

Comment

Working...
                                X