Big Cat Contest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Playa View Post
    That's the kind of ground I hunt out here, flat lands, few trees, calling over dry playa lakes. I was thinking about hitting him up for a pheasant hunt next winter. Maybe chase pheasant all day and call evening and night?
    We can't call here at night unfortunately. But we could definitely hit up some spots in the evening or when you limit out. There's a bunch of pheasants up here. One good tailwater pit or weed row and you'll have some birds down. That rain did everything some good.

If you have any prairie dog towns definitely call there. I have a spot that is pretty close two a 100% stand that's all prairie dog town. I've called it twice this year and called three yotes out of it. Killed 6 out of it last year. And anywhere there's cattle there'll be coyotes around. Just find some crp and park in the ditch to get the truck as hidden as possible if it's really flat. That's sometimes what I have to do. If it's farm ground and you can get into some wheat stubble or corn stalks and lean against a fence post,a yucca,sagebrush,thistles or anything to break up your outline that's all you need alot of times especially if it borders crp grass or any cover at all.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
      I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if you mentioned it before, but what rifle is that?

Really good looking gun, love the stainless laminate look.
      I forgot to mention that. That's a Ruger M77 Mark II Compact .223,that was the first rifle I ever bought. It's a nice shootin little rifle and great for predator callin. Pretty easy to carry around.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
        We can't call here at night unfortunately. But we could definitely hit up some spots in the evening or when you limit out. There's a bunch of pheasants up here. One good tailwater pit or weed row and you'll have some birds down. That rain did everything some good.

If you have any prairie dog towns definitely call there. I have a spot that is pretty close two a 100% stand that's all prairie dog town. I've called it twice this year and called three yotes out of it. Killed 6 out of it last year. And anywhere there's cattle there'll be coyotes around. Just find some crp and park in the ditch to get the truck as hidden as possible if it's really flat. That's sometimes what I have to do. If it's farm ground and you can get into some wheat stubble or corn stalks and lean against a fence post,a yucca,sagebrush,thistles or anything to break up your outline that's all you need alot of times especially if it borders crp grass or any cover at all.
        My plan was to stake tumbleweeds out with gray electric fence posts to conceal me in open ground, be that wheat, cotton or crp. I've also found pivot tires tobe good concealment or well units if they aren't running.

I was looking for a prairie dog in distress sound earlier today to use over a big prairie dog town that has a decent draw that's overgrown running immediately N & W of the town.

Comment

Yeah that's definitely worth a try. I've used well units as cover too. Anything to get out of sight is worth trying.

What i like about prairie dog towns too is if a coyote is coming in and you don't see it those prairie dogs will start chirping and alerting their buddies that something dangerous is around. I've had coyotes get busted by prairie dogs as they tried to circle downwind on a few different occasions. Had it not been for those prairie dogs I don't know that I'd have seen a few of them. And there have been times I knew one was coming before it even got there because of them.

Comment

My team got 20 greys and never saw a cat. Getting frustrated with this property and now looking for something fresh. See y'all in February

Comment

My brother in law and nephew hunted this tournament. I may hunt with them in February if I don't have to work. The January hunt always falls on my daughters birthday so I can't go. Just need to win one. I have a friend who is loaded with bobcats if I can just get him interested in actually hunting the contest.

Comment

Originally posted by cap50948 View Post
                That's a lot of money for hunting all night with buddies. Question... When you win that much do you have to file it on taxes and pay uncle sam?
                I wondered that too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by cap50948 View Post
                    That's a lot of money for hunting all night with buddies. Question... When you win that much do you have to file it on taxes and pay uncle sam?
                    Yes they do. Asked a guy that's won it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                      What do they do with all the cats foxes and yotes that get checked in?

Ok stop laughing at me.
                      I've wondered the same thing. I know alot of tournaments here skin animals brought in and some even have caliber restrictions so you don't blow stuff up for that reason. Seems like they'd salvage what they could at that hunt especially. There's no tellin how many thousands of dollars worth of fur is there after that thing is over.

Comment

We keep ours and skin the animals out. (Depending on what the animal is). And usually save them all up until fur prices get a little higher.

Comment

Round 2 coming up. My brother and I are gonna join in on this one.

Laner7,I just now saw your response to what they do with the animals. If that's an option I bet we end up keeping our cat if we get one. The coyotes.....probably not. I would but I know if my brother shoots them they won't be worth keeping and I'll be using my 22-250 so I imagine the ones I kill will look just as bad.

Comment

Good luck to all and be sure and post pictures

Comment

[QUOTE=Wylde E;12010606]
                              This one was 29lbs and the one I've been seeing is significantly bigger.

^thats a big cat

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                                Round 2 coming up. My brother and I are gonna join in on this one.

Laner7,I just now saw your response to what they do with the animals. If that's an option I bet we end up keeping our cat if we get one. The coyotes.....probably not. I would but I know if my brother shoots them they won't be worth keeping and I'll be using my 22-250 so I imagine the ones I kill will look just as bad.
                                You heard they changed where you check in at now right? Goodluck to you and your brother man and everyone else doing the contest. We are doing the big cat and the big grey fox.

Comment

Working...
                                X