No announcement yet.

22-250 Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in Sept., I got this Savage Axis HB rifle combo for just $388 from Walmart. Has accu-trigger and heavy barrel. Removed the cheap Bushnell scope and bases. Added a one piece Leupold base and rings and a vortex viper I had laying around. Im shooting clover leaf groups at 100yds with cheap federal 50gr jacketed hollow points.
    The long action/bolt throw takes a little getting used to, but replaced the stock bolt knob with a larger one...that helped a lot. Just over $500 for gun, rings, bases, knob and 2 boxes of ammo. Very happy with accuracy [emoji2]... Haven't shot any critters with it yet [emoji22]

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
      This! I saw a 16" 22-250 the obey day at the local gun shop. I figure that's just a really loud 223 with a poor twist rate so you're limited to light weight bullets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

LWD

Comment

Ruger American. Spend the money you save on a good scope and ammo

I regret trading mine off a couple years ago. Tack drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          Get the .220 swift that is in the classifieds so I quit looking at it.
          Thanks a lot. Now I'm trying to find loose change in the couch.

Comment

Originally posted by orlybow View Post
            Back in Sept., I got this Savage Axis HB rifle combo for just $388 from Walmart. Has accu-trigger and heavy barrel. Removed the cheap Bushnell scope and bases. Added a one piece Leupold base and rings and a vortex viper I had laying around. Im shooting clover leaf groups at 100yds with cheap federal 50gr jacketed hollow points.
            The long action/bolt throw takes a little getting used to, but replaced the stock bolt knob with a larger one...that helped a lot. Just over $500 for gun, rings, bases, knob and 2 boxes of ammo. Very happy with accuracy [emoji2]... Haven't shot any critters with it yet [emoji22]

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
            Long action/bolt throw is good IMO. Most short action magazines are so short that you can't run the best ammo through them--at least that is what 8 years of custom accuracy workups taught me. Most rifes like the bullet jump (driven by cartridge overall length) short enough that rounds end up too long to run thru the mag and you end up with a single shot for that most accurate ammo. But, YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
              Found the tc venture walking Varminter on clearance at academy, Camo stock, clip fed, Shoots lights out.
              This is a nice little rifle. My daughter took a hog with it this year. Shoots very well for a $400 rifle. Camo dipped, removable magazine, put a Burris Fullfield E1 4-14x42 on it. Scope cost more than the rifle

Comment

Cabelas has a store exclusive Savage model 12 with a 26" bull barrel synthetic stock. 223 or 22-250. $419. Very good feeling rifle imo. I will be buying the 22-250 to varmint hunt with.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
                  I have the model10 savage and it's a great gun. Can't go wrong with the Remington or this savage.

Tell me of this bipod. Got a larue qd mount sitting around and need something tall I can take on/off quickly

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
                    Tell me of this bipod. Got a larue qd mount sitting around and need something tall I can take on/off quickly

Mine is a StoneyPoint Polecat but I believe Primos has the design now but still called a Polecat. Works awesome and quick to attach and detach. Great range of motion in the side to side twisting. Quick pictures.

Check them out you won't be disappointed.

Comment

Thanks for all of the input!!

Besides the Ruger American Predator, which ones would come already threaded for suppressor?

Comment

Originally posted by LuBowhunter View Post
                        Ruger American Predator
                        Do you have any experience with specific caliber? How is stock?

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                          This! I saw a 16" 22-250 the obey day at the local gun shop. I figure that's just a really loud 223 with a poor twist rate so you're limited to light weight bullets.

On the Ruger American Predator, it has a 22" barrel. How much will that affect performance? This the only factory rifle I have seen that has a threaded barrel.

Comment

If you are going to thread a 22-250 then the bbl length argument changes...26" is really ideal if not suppressing as you need it to burn all the powder & get the velocity it was meant for. I'm talking for a sitting / blind rifle. Guys who walk & call for yotes & such will have different wants.

You will actually get a little help from the can with velocity & personally would not want a bbl longer than 22" as the OAL will get awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                              If you are going to thread a 22-250 then the bbl length argument changes...26" is really ideal if not suppressing as you need it to burn all the powder & get the velocity it was meant for. I'm talking for a sitting / blind rifle. Guys who walk & call for yotes & such will have different wants.

You will actually get a little help from the can with velocity & personally would not want a bbl longer than 22" as the OAL will get awkward.
                              Yep, my 6.5 WSM has a 24" barrel and it's very usable..... tack on the Specwar with an added 8 inches or so and it's a stationary artillery piece.

Comment

Savage Predator Hunter. I've had two and hands down love them over my two Remington varmint guns.

Comment

Working...
                                X