Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 06-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #51
nimrodtracy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill country & East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbd10pt View Post
7mm-08
This ^
nimrodtracy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #52
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horitexan View Post
I guess a guy could always build their hunt around their rifle instead of around their game animal and the best outfitter. Not how I'd do it, though.

I wonder if anyone has shot an elephant or a cape buffalo with a .243 just to prove the point about shot placement? :-P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well Roy Weatherby killed a Cape buffalo with his .257

Most of the guys who hunt moose and elk year after year have no issue with using a .308 or .30-06. However, there is a big difference between a guy that lives up there and has the entire season to fill his tag rather than someone who has spent $10k plus for a week long hunt.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #53
Roosterpt1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Travis, Maverick, Burnet, Uvalde

Put a muzzle break on anything you get. YES they are loud. You SHOULD always have hearing protection anyway. The 7-08 would be just fine on moose with proper shot placement. Use a good bullet and put one through the lungs. It's hard to live when you can't breath. Stay away from heaven muscle and bone shots. Keep it in the ribs and there will be no issue. .308 is another great choice! Still keep it in the ribs and put a break on it. For animals under elk sized both are great cartridges for shoulder or rib shots. If she isn't comfortable and confident in the rifle it doesn't matter if she shoots a Moose with a .50 BMG shot placement still is the king of Killing animals. Put a break on it! A break with large side port baffles not the stupid little holes drill all the way around.
Roosterpt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #54
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Burnet Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterpt1 View Post
Put a muzzle break on anything you get. YES they are loud. You SHOULD always have hearing protection anyway. The 7-08 would be just fine on moose with proper shot placement. Use a good bullet and put one through the lungs. It's hard to live when you can't breath. Stay away from heaven muscle and bone shots. Keep it in the ribs and there will be no issue. .308 is another great choice! Still keep it in the ribs and put a break on it. For animals under elk sized both are great cartridges for shoulder or rib shots. If she isn't comfortable and confident in the rifle it doesn't matter if she shoots a Moose with a .50 BMG shot placement still is the king of Killing animals. Put a break on it! A break with large side port baffles not the stupid little holes drill all the way around.
Better still, put a silencer on whatever you get. Covers the recoil reduction AND the muzzle blast issue. If you're hunting somewhere that the can isn't allowed for whatever stupid reason, just thread a break on in place of the can. Since buying my first can, I'm not interested in shooting anything above a 22lr without a silencer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
txfireguy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #55
ctburt0n
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
Better still, put a silencer on whatever you get. Covers the recoil reduction AND the muzzle blast issue. If you're hunting somewhere that the can isn't allowed for whatever stupid reason, just thread a break on in place of the can. Since buying my first can, I'm not interested in shooting anything above a 22lr without a silencer.

Would the silencer affect range of bullet or speed. Would you have to sub-sonic bullets. Sorry just not familiar with silencers.

ctburt0n is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #56
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Not at all. Full power rounds sound like a 22 mag, and I still shoot my 308 to 750 yards and 1000 yards I'm having a great day.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #57
metalmangeorge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise/Palo Pinto County

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
Exactly, if it is last day of a 5 day moose hunt and only moose I have seen in that time frame offers me a quartering to shot I want to be carrying a gun that I know is going to punch all the way through that shoulder into the vital and still exit the other side. Why limit yourself to a perfect shot placement only rifle on something that for a lot of folks is going to be once in a lifetime?
^^^^^this^^^^^^
metalmangeorge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #58
rebel_bowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere i can

7mm-08 for sure
rebel_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #59
ctburt0n
Eight Point

Quote:
Not at all. Full power rounds sound like a 22 mag, and I still shoot my 308 to 750 yards and 1000 yards I'm having a great day.

That sounds like a plan.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #60
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Keep in mind that a lot of rifles with lightweight sporter barrels are too small in diameter to get the proper shoulder for referencing the silencer off of, and may be to thin if you go with a .308. The good news is a .308 wouldn't lose too much velocity if you cut it down to 16-18" to get a larger diameter and a shorter length with the can on.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2016, 11:53 PM   #61
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Love the 7mm-08
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #62
Deerhunter61
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit View Post
Something in 6.5mm

6.5x55, 260 Rem, 6.5 CM, 6x47 Lapua, 6.5x284 Win, 6.5-06

All of them would work with the right bullet with very manageable recoil
This...I own 2 6.5 Creedmoors and a 6.5X55 Swede and all three are outstanding and have little recoil.
Deerhunter61 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #63
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
Keep in mind that a lot of rifles with lightweight sporter barrels are too small in diameter to get the proper shoulder for referencing the silencer off of, and may be to thin if you go with a .308. The good news is a .308 wouldn't lose too much velocity if you cut it down to 16-18" to get a larger diameter and a shorter length with the can on.
This is very true, I ran into it myself. Some cans, like the Omega I have in ATF jail, have different modules to thread onto 1/2", 5/8", quick attach etc. You could go with something in 6mm, 25 cal, 6.5mm...maybe even 7mm, and thread it to 1/2"x28 with no worries. I know my wife's Remington 700 has a muzzle diameter of .660" at 22" length. That's plenty for a 1/2" thread pattern IMO. Add a lightweight titanium can like the Omega or even the Harvester and you'd be golden. May have to use a thread adapter for the Harvester though, I'm not sure what threads are available on it, but it gets great reviews and it's relatively inexpensive.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #64
ctburt0n
Eight Point

Quote:
This is very true, I ran into it myself. Some cans, like the Omega I have in ATF jail, have different modules to thread onto 1/2", 5/8", quick attach etc. You could go with something in 6mm, 25 cal, 6.5mm...maybe even 7mm, and thread it to 1/2"x28 with no worries. I know my wife's Remington 700 has a muzzle diameter of .660" at 22" length. That's plenty for a 1/2" thread pattern IMO. Add a lightweight titanium can like the Omega or even the Harvester and you'd be golden. May have to use a thread adapter for the Harvester though, I'm not sure what threads are available on it, but it gets great reviews and it's relatively inexpensive.

Thanks

Old 07-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #65
Covvboyz
Four Point

25-06
Covvboyz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2016, 12:57 AM   #66
HOYTPRO2001
Ten Point

7Rem SAUM
HOYTPRO2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #67
Double-O-Dave
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a lease

The .308 Winchester is my favorite center fire cartridge, and we have rifles chambered for that caliber in lever action (Savage 99) and bolt action (Remington 788). Both rifles are very accurate. That being said, if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go with an AR-10 chambered in .308 and be done with it - and I'm a gun nut!

I recently added an AR-15 chambered in 6.8 SPC-II to our collection, and hope to use it to hunt hogs and deer this fall. The 6.8 SPC uses the same bullet diameter as the .270 Winchester, but different weight bullets. Many shooters who use the 6.8 SPC give very favorable reports on its performance on game. If your wife likes the AR platform, my suggestion would be to see if you can get her to try an AR-10 (.308), or the 6.8 SPC-II and see which one she favors.

Best of luck,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top