Broadhead for elk????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadhead for elk????

Alright, gonna be hunting up in southwest Colorado this fall. Am open to any ideas for broadheads!!! Have used G5 Montecs here in Texas and Africa and have harvested many animals but I found especially with non heart shots that I had a "bad" blood trail(some of these do to poor shots and some were very good shots but bad blood). Gonna be using the Matthews MR8 80lbs. Anybody have any say or have any experiences to share with broadheads with a big elk???

I would use a battle axe mechanicle, went through a 200lb hogs shoulder blade and still put it down in 30 yrds, not to mention every other animal I've shot in a vital I've gotten to watch fall

Comment

My Muzzy 4 blade 125 grain did the trick last year on my elk, full pass through double lung shot. I'd argue they are easier to take down than a white tail. Their vitals are bigger.

Comment

Asked this same question a couple months ago.. Here is the link to my thread with lots of good answers.
        http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=432740

Comment

They'll all work provided they're sharp, you hit the kill zone and your bow is tuned. I personally wouldn't do a big mechanical like a NAP Killzone or a Rage just because of the amount of energy it expends to open those wide cuts but there's been plenty of elk fall quickly with those heads. Good luck.

Comment

Ramcats.

Comment

1 3/8 grim reapers are my go to head or even a rage hypodermic. With you shooting 80lbs it won't be any problem.

Comment

Ramcats, 125 grain 1.5" cut. Fly like darts, wicked sharp and cut some massive holes. I use the 1 3/8" 100 grain, but the 125 grain are big!

Comment

I would trick em ramcat em or muzzle trocar em. I love a big mech but that's a bigger animal I don't care how much dw you shoot if you run into bone you will still get plenty of penetration with a good fixed blade.

Comment

O prefer two blade cut on impact. Elk are easy to kill if you put the arrow through both lungs.

Comment

I'm a Solid Broad head fan or 1 1/8 cut mechincal. But truthfully at your poundage it doesn't matter

Comment

A 125 Grain Ramcat on something like a FMJ.

Comment

Subscribed. I don't know nada about broad heads. So my "Hata's" tell me.

Comment

Ragin' I just knew one of these days you would "come out of the closet" on your knowledge of broadheads!

Comment

125gr Hellrazors

Comment

Working...
                              X