Help for a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for a newbie

Firt off, I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong area or if I have missed a sticky somewhere where this would be better placed.

I am brand new to the bow hunting culture. By brand new, I mean that I do not own a bow nor have I ever shot one. I have been a rifle/pistol user my entire life and have hunted pigs over the past year or so. I would like to expand into hunting deer, but hunting deer with a rifle doesn't appeal to me for a few reasons. First, I do not have land nor a lease to hunt deer and the thought of being on public land with inexperienced marksmen really bothers me (I'm sure my PTSD doesn't like it either lol). Second, I am highly competitive. I am a hell of a shot with a rifle and I feel that for my own personal reasons a bow and the challenge associated with it just fits me better. (Please do not take offense to any of this, I pass no judgment on others who hunt in any way that they ethically choose to do so, these are personal opinions of my own)

My newness to this culture has sparked thousands of questions in my mind and I unfortunately am not lucky to have a bow hunter in my family or friends. From reading these threads over the past few days, I have seen nothing short of a virtual family of support and genuine desires to help others who you all may or may not know. With that in mind, I was hoping that some of you might take the time to indulge a few of my queries and forgive any ignorance that I show.

My first real question is the one that I am sure everyone has come across at one point in their life: What bow should I purchase? Now, I do not have the means to spend more than about $300 on a bow. Looking at local shops in my area, this basically rules out all opportunity I see with a new compound bow. I assume that with the limited draw weight, a Genesis style bow would not be an ethical choice for hunting. Which leaves me with the option to buy used. (recurve and traditional, while impressive, do not really appeal to me for some reason) Of course, my primary go-to would be Craigslist. However, some of the techs at Cabellas and Cinammon Creek have cautioned me from buying from there. I guess the point I am seeking is to find out a good process to find a reliable bow that I can use for the next year while I practice and prepare for the next season.
    I am aware of the classifieds section of these forums, but I do not have access until I have been a member 30 days and therefore I do not know if people really sell bows on there or if it is more accessories.

I re-read this post and find that it is somewhat all over the place and lacking direction and I apologize for that. I guess the simple fact is that I do not now what questions I should be asking and any help at all is greatly appreciated. Thank you, and good luck to everyone this season!

nothing wrong with buying a used bow. In the meantime look for a bow that is a few years old and try to figure out the flagship bow from the manufacturer from that year. You should be able to find a nice bare bow for $300-$350. Then add the rest and sight.

Comment

Dont ya worry we will get u hooked up with all the info you need........genesis is prolly not a good idea.....heck i got my first bow off ebay for $75 bucks.....everyone will tell u what bow to shoot but right now the bow u need is the one that can get u to hunting! try not to be overly picky as far as brand and find one that is in good shape and can help u get u some practice.....welcome to the REAL brotherhood

Comment

Well they do sell bows in TBH classifieds.
        The bow I use now was a used bow & I sold my new one.
        You really need to shoot a few bows to find out what you like.
        Then go hunting for a used one.

Craigslist has TBH members selling bows also. You can get a good one from there. Just look over the limbs real good and even rub on them with a cotton ball to see if it hangs on splinters.

Comment

Zack, before you buy one, you will need to know your draw length. Stand up against the wall arms outstreached against the wall like a bird and have someone mark your fingertips. Don't strech, just relax. Measure it in inches and divide by 2.5. i.e. something like 70" tip-to-tip, divided by 2.5 would be 28", so you would be looking for something around 27.5-28". Most bows can give you a half-inch either way. If you are going to look at used, make sure the bow will get to your draw length, either as-is or with available modules.

Keep your eye on the classifieds here on TBH. I've seen very few folks get hosed, once in a blue-moon. Much safer than EBay. Today there is one listed (Diamond) for $250 shipped that is probably complete. You would need a release and arrows.

Alvarado Archery (in Alvarado) should have some used trade-ins. Jim would set you up and have you shooting in no time.

You also mentioned Cabelas. Next month once rifle season opens, all the way into January, you'll have folks returning bows. Keep a look out in the Bargain Cave. The stuff is in there to move it, it has a price mostly because they had to put something on it. If you see something you like, take it over to the archery section and ask if they have the draw-length modules/if they will set it up for you. If they will, back to the Bargain Cave and see what is on the rack for accessories/arrows. Then, add up what is on the tags, decide where you need to be on price, and you will probably be walking out of the store with a new-to-you bow.

Word of caution, the first purchase is usually the least costly, as you get into it the secondary purchases add up quicker.

Once you get enough to start shooting, you are on your way. Keep an eye out this next spring and get into a Bowhunters Education course, we'll start setting up course dates mid-late January. Usually several held in the DFW area each spring.

Good luck and post up any questions.

Comment

Buy any bow u want, as long as its a Mathews.

Comment

Thank you all for the info!!! It's going to be a slow process due to finances, but I'm going to a beginner's course at Cinnamon Creek Ranch hopefully next week (I tried both classes this week and they were both full when I got there) to see if this is really something I can get into. I have the itch though, and I am definitely looking forward to the future!!!

Just a by the way, the problems I have heard from the techs regarding buying used is that the companies will stop carrying parts for older models and if anything needs an adjustment or repair I could end up out of luck... Is that accurate or just a way for a salesman to scare me out of buying used?

Comment

I may not know much about archery but I will toss out a couple of my thoughts.

Set a maximum spending budget****** DO NOT GO A PENNY OVER THAT
                1st: Go to a real pro shop (ALL OF OUR SPONSORS ARE GREAT)
                2nd:Tell them you want to learn archery.
                3rd: Ask for lessons
                4th: Only purchase a full set up you can afford and shoot easily.
                5th: TAKE THE LESSONS.
                6th: HAVE A BLAST! ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS HAVE FUN.. AND MORE FUN!

Ha!
                Good luck and please keep us posted!
                Korbin

Comment

I tell my customers who are first time for archery to shoot different bows and dont go off of the first bow you shoot. Its like test driving vechiles, you have to find the one you feel comfortable with.

looking on craiglist or ebay can be dangerous, ive seen guys who get really good deals on bows only to find out theres cracked limbs or cannot adjust your draw length .ie older bows that dont have modules.

if your wanting a new bow but something reasonble look into the PSE Rally its comes ready to shoot with a whisker biscuit and 5 pin sights. they sell it fully set up at academy for 379.99 then i would take it to a pro shop and get it fully set up for you. I have sold severl of them to non experienced shooters and havent had no problems with it.
                  I shot a lot of handy down bows before i could finally afford my first brand new bow and for the past 3 bows ive owned theyve all been Hoyts. but for right now find something in your budjet.

best of luck

Comment

Has anyone tries the Pierson stealth 2 if so how is it. And would would recommend a single can or duel tjanks

Comment

Originally posted by pykiller View Post
                      I may not know much about archery but I will toss out a couple of my thoughts.

Set a maximum spending budget****** DO NOT GO A PENNY OVER THAT
                      1st: Go to a real pro shop (ALL OF OUR SPONSORS ARE GREAT)
                      2nd:Tell them you want to learn archery.
                      3rd: Ask for lessons
                      4th: Only purchase a full set up you can afford and shoot easily.
                      5th: TAKE THE LESSONS.
                      6th: HAVE A BLAST! ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS HAVE FUN.. AND MORE FUN!

Ha!
                      Good luck and please keep us posted!
                      Korbin
                      You forgot rule #7, never shoot groups. The first Robinhood is cool, after that it is an expensive reminder not to shoot groups.

Comment

A good quality pro shop can and will guide you in teh way you need. If you try and do this on your own and do not get a bow that fits you or one you do not like, then it will be a short lived forray into archery. A bow has to be fit to you like clothes or shoes and the accessories are matcher to you and your bow, it is as simple as that. I would highly suggest to stay away from Craigslist or the net for a bow buy and look at the pro shops for a used bow or find a bargain on TBH when you can search the classifieds. Great folks on here. There are also some package deals from a lot of pro shops that may be fairly close to what you want to spend that will have you completely set up or close to it. Good luck and take your time and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Free q2 View Post
                          Horrible spelling...its spelled HOYT.... find a bow that fits your need and price... lots of good bows sold in the Tbh classifieds... welcome to the brotherhood

Comment

Originally posted by Free q2 View Post
                            This is good advice. They havent really improved there bows in years so a old used one is as good as a new one.

Edit: Spend the money to become a supporting member. Most importantly you get a sticker, but you can also view the classifieds.
                            Last edited by zacm1979; 10-08-2012, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Horrible spelling, it's actually ELITE.

One thing I forgot to mention Zack, is to make sure you know which is your dominate eye. You may be right-handed, but your left eye may be dominate. If you buy the wrong bow, you will have problems getting your eye lined up.

Comment

Working...
                              X