a small problem with easton axis and muzzy broadheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a small problem with easton axis and muzzy broadheads

i am shooting 400 grain easton axis tipped with muzzy mx3 3 blade 100 grain broadheads out of my 340 destroyer. i have noticed that sometimes the arrow will "drift" a little. i realize i could be torquing the bow a little, but when i really concentrate and really pay attention to my form, it still does it.

i am wondering if this is being caused by the base of the droadhead having a bigger diameter than the arrow. i have shot this combo (axis w/ muzzy) for awhile and never noticed this problem, but i never shot a bow that shot as fast as the destroyer. my groups are decent now but i know they can be better.

anybody have any ideas?

would the little adapters easton sells help?

a little more random info that might help:

-bow is paper tuned (perfect bullet hole)
    -bow is shooting around 290 fps.
    -wobble tested all arrows, and they roll perfectly on the rollers
    -shooting 63 pounds
    Last edited by double lung; 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM.

How long are the shafts?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
      How long are the shafts?
      i was hoping you saw this

28" inch shafts and i have a 29" draw

Comment

If I had to guess, the 400 is slightly weak.
        I don't think the lack of UBAR's is the issue.
        Lots of helical can sometimes help a weak shaft fly better, but it still won't fly as good as the proper spine or a shaft a little on the stiff side.
        Fast bows usually will require a spine slightly stiffer than charts indicate.

Comment

what spine would you suggest?

Comment

Of course, I'm a big fan of lots of helical on your fletching anyway.
            A lot of times bad BH flight and grouping is caused by lack of spin due to lack of helical.
            Last edited by rocky; 04-06-2010, 09:15 PM.

Comment

i also realize the bow is very new to me (less than a week) and maybe it will just take some getting used to. i shot today and didnt notice it as much, or maybe i am adjusting for it and not even knowing it.

the tom i shot saturday didnt notice when the arrow zipped through him, but i dont want to take any chances for the upcoming deer season.

Comment

340 spine. that is my guess of what he will say.

Comment

thanks for the help, rocky...

i will keep after it and if the problem continues, i will consider the 340s.

Comment

I recently switched to the 340 and I notice a difference right away.

Comment

My bow shoots the 400 axis at sixty lbs, great. You are 1" longer and a few # more. Speed is about the same. I am usings slicks and fly perfect out to 80yds. Turn down your poundage one full turn on each limb bolt and see if anything changes, before going and invest more$ in arrows. Also stop looking at your arrows in flight! That might become a bad habit, trying to move the bow out of the way to see!

Comment

What vanes? My axis fletched with quick spins out 61lbs won't shoot a broadhead to save it's life.

Comment

Have you tried walk back tuning?

Comment

I tried the Axis with Muzzys & found the same thing coming out of my Drenalin with 31" arrows at 64#.

Solution: traded the Axis arrows for Beman 340s.

Comment

Let me start at the beginning. What exactly do you mean by "drift a little". Wobble in flight? left/right or up/down? How does a 3-shot group of arrows with broadheads at 30 yards compare to field points? Size and relative position on the target?

Comment

Working...
                              X