No announcement yet.

Help for a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this to be an informative thread and wish I had read it before buying a bow for my kid. She's 29 and wants to learn so dummy me goes out and buys a used Martin Ignition bow and I probably paid too much for it. I had no idea about some of the things you guys talk about here, so she'll probably have to get the bow adjusted, etc.

But since that time, I've thought about getting a bow for myself. First to learn and have fun, and later to hunt and have fun. I think I'd prefer a recurve over a compound and is it totally crazy to want a take down bow? Something to put in the backpack and take camping without having too much extra stuff to carry?

Realistically, what would be a good set up for a bow that will be used by a total noob and where are some of the best places in San Antonio to get lessons and practice?

Thanks in advance.

PopPop Punky

Comment

One thing I will recomend is to look for clearance or closeouts. I got a package bow this year that was originaly 400, clearanced for 120. it is an 09 model, but still shoots better than I do. May be the wrong time of year for this, but might be worth waiting a little while. Not sure though, I am still pretty new to all this myself. I may be the lucky exception. good luck to all and welcome to the fire!

Comment

Go to local pro shops cabelas and shoot different brands and find your draw lenght draw weight. Once you've found what those are watch your local shops and stores and look for the sales a lot of companies are coming out with their new lines and the last year models will be marked down. Craigslist can be risky but if you find a deal ask if that person would meet you at a shop let you shoot it and see how it feels. Just remember have fun with it and don't let anybody tell you other wise. I'm sure since your in Keller that if you asked their would be many people that would help you learn how to shoot properly and accurately.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Working...
          X