treated or kiln dried trailer boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

treated or kiln dried trailer boards?

I found a good deal on a 18' utility trailer at a dealer in OK. It does not have treated lumber.

It has "#2 kiln dried" runners
    The trailer will be left outside in the Conroe area for a majority of the time.
    They are telling me if I treat it every other year with a diesel/transmission oil mix it will last a really long time??

Thoughts???

treated, my dads old trailer has treated boards from almost 20 yrs ago and its sat outside all its life. 96 model trailer we replaced the boards in early 2000.

Comment

The diesel/oil will work, but it makes it slick as snot.. You could use a water sealant like Thompsons or just replace with treated lumber.

Comment

Stay away from Thompson's type of stuff if possible, they are almost worthless. They have about 4% solids and would be better off with mineral spirits/paint thinner at a fraction of the cost and load it up. But, used diesel oil is a good way to go, it can be a little slick at first but 95% of trailering stuff doesn't entail actually walking on the trailer. Had a trailer that the boards were 16 yrs old when I sold it and was treated with used oil.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I use diesel fuel/used diesel oil mix on my big equipment trailer(that already has treated lumber as decking).

I don't use it on my small trailer that was just redecked with treated lumber.

Don't put the fuel/oil mix on any trailer that hauls "clean" stuff.

Use treated lumber for decking unless you have access to "free" lumber(I have a sawmill and free trees). The only untreated decks I see are on big equipment trailers that use 2x decking and those guys have sawmills and free trees too.

The issue on those decks it's rotting. They wear out from steel tracks before they rot.

YMMV

Comment

Agreed ^^^

Comment

We use sawed up telephone poles for our trailer beds. They last forever.

Comment

About 6 months ago I completely refurbished my utility trailer. After doing some research I used this "Copper-Green" wood preservative on the decking

(HD didnt have it in stock - they ordered it for me)

It is oil based and contains copper naptheneate. It is rated for below ground applications (like fence posts) so it should last a very long time on trailer decking. It applies easily with a pump-up garden sprayer and one gallon was more than enough for my 12 footer. It will turn the boards slightly green - about the color of pressure treated lumber. The only downside is the smell - very strong while applying and will linger for a week or so.

Comment

Rhino line it

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      About 6 months ago I completely refurbished my utility trailer. After doing some research I used this "Copper-Green" wood preservative on the decking

(HD didnt have it in stock - they ordered it for me)

It is oil based and contains copper naptheneate. It is rated for below ground applications (like fence posts) so it should last a very long time on trailer decking. It applies easily with a pump-up garden sprayer and one gallon was more than enough for my 12 footer. It will turn the boards slightly green - about the color of pressure treated lumber. The only downside is the smell - very strong while applying and will linger for a week or so.
                      I used something similar, I took out the boards and laid them in the hot sun. Sprayed all 4 sides with below ground treatment and reinstalled.

The problem with diesel oil mix is it is slick and makes a mess on new equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
                        Rhino line it
                        No, moisture can get trapped inside the board and will rot.

Comment

Buy the trailer then replace with treated or rough sawn oak lumber when necessary.

Comment

We have put used motor oil on our 12ft trailer with 1" plywood decking and after almost 30 years I am going to have to replace it.

Comment

You could spray it copper sulfate. Used to use that on wooden boats so they wouldn't rot.

Comment

Working...
                              X