Wall Tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wall Tents

Thinking about biting the bullet for a wall tent this year. Looking for GS recommendations. Who are the best manufacturers, options to consider, etc. Any advantages over a traditional canvas vs the newer and lighter synthetic material?

I know they're expensive and generally follow the buy once cry once mentality. Would rather buy a tent that will last decades than one that will only last a couple of hunts.

We got a Davis 14x16 with 3 windows and awning sleeves so we can connect our awning out front. We also got the peak stove from them. I think it is their biggest stove. No complaints. 1 trip to Colorado and 3 to Wyoming so far. We've slept as many as 6 guys in there but that was pretty tight. 4 is about right for our tent. There is something about setting up a hunt camp in the mountains with a wall tent that just seems right. We love it.

Comment

Davis tent gets my recommendation. Get windows on each side, doors with screens front and rear. They get warm quickly. I have one of their 16x20's with the windows but didn't spring for the screen on the rear door. I wish I had.

Comment

The only two I can recommend from years of use here in the West are Davis and Montana Canvas. They are probably 80% of the ones you see here in the mountains. A good frame will allow you to set up easily by yourself. Stay away from the cheaper brands, especially if they use 10 oz. instead of Grade A 12 oz. canvas. When they say "just as good as...", they never are.

Take care of them and they will last a lifetime. Think long and hard about your planned uses, and get the windows and screens added when built. Cheaper than after the fact. The mold, mildew, and fire treatments are good too.

Comment

Just to add another option, depending on your actual needs, look at Kodiak Canvas. Their Flex-bows and a Mr. Buddy heater are fantastic, and extremely easy to pitch.

Comment

I ended up with the 10 x 14 Kodiak. I can set it up by myself in under 15 minutes. I use a Buddy heater and keep a CO2 monitor just in case. I had really considered the Davis but the Kodiak packs much smaller. I figured I could get another and use 2 if I needed to increase the camp size.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
              Just to add another option, depending on your actual needs, look at Kodiak Canvas. Their Flex-bows and a Mr. Buddy heater are fantastic, and extremely easy to pitch.
              x2. I have a Flex-bow and it's super easy to put up with 1-guy and a buddy heater works perfectly. Ceilings are high enough to stand all around and roomy enough for cots/gear.

Comment

I have a kodiak flex-bow as well and love it. Has always kept me warm and most importantly dry in bad conditions.

Comment

If this is a base camp close to the road, I would go with canvas all day. Now if you are packing into the mountains then synthetic.

Comment

I used to have an Army 6 sided tent. Very good in cold weather and dry. oiled heavy canvas. One of these will last forever nearly.

PS: this ain't gonna fit in no backpack
                    Last edited by muzzlebrake; 06-08-2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

This is the one I bit the bullet and bought. I love it. Simple up and down and will take a thunderstorm like a champ.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                        https://www.cabelas.com/product/camp....uts?slotId=10

This is the one I bit the bullet and bought. I love it. Simple up and down and will take a thunderstorm like a champ.
                        Cheaper on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                          Not when I bought it. They had a quite a sale going on when I bought mine. I believe they were coming out with a newer model and had the older style marked down to sell.

Comment

Davis has different packages with the stove included. You can customize to add windows, door, etc... We also bought the pole bags to keep the different size poles organized. The tents come with the angle pieces for the poles. You do have to buy the 1" emt tubing and cut to size for the poles. I think it ended up being about $100 for poles.

14 x 15 Elk Camp Tent Package. Save BIG on the Elk Camp Tent Package with everything you need to support up to 4 hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                              This. I set up my 9x12 Kodiak Cabin w/ Awning for 3 consecutive months every year. It's durable (seen its fair share of wicked storms and has never failed), dry, breathes well and in the cold it stays nice and toasty.

Comment

Working...
                              X