Australian Shepherd Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian Shepherd Training

I am making good progress with my beautiful 4 month old Aussie pup when it comes to most things, but looking for some general advice from anyone who is more familiar with the breed.

What has helped most when it comes to obedience as a whole? What are they most receptive to when it comes to correction? I get him out for daily physical activity and work on his mental activity too and I feel that due to that I have avoided most destructive tendencies that puppies are known for. Overall I am very happy with him as a dog, just looking to expedite things.

Below are the main issues I have:
    • Recall - One of the things I have an issue with is him coming when called.
    • Mouthy - He is very mouthy. It isn't a hard bite, but he likes to grab at you when playing. He has improved a lot here with stern and immediate correction and also I recognize that the more sleepy he is, the worse he gets here.

Also, on this note, if anyone has a recommendation for a good trainer in the DFW area, please let me know. I am working to make sure that we don't let ourselves have to correct too many bad habits, and have the best possible life with him as possible.

My daughter got a Aussiedoodle who is about 3 months old now. He has been a little pill over the last few weeks, and I found when he REALLY got out of line with the biting a good swat to the rear or snout settled him down. Now I give him a pig ear or something when he gets that way it takes his mind off biting and he will spend the next 30 mins working the pig ear.

Comment

I got my Aussie mix at 6 months old (she's about 10 years now) I' don't know if it is a breed trait but I've tried just about every conceivable thing including shock collars and she still only comes when she feels like it.

Comment

I've had Australian Shepherds for over 25 years. I have 2 right now. They are scary smart and will learn things very quickly even if you don't want them to.
        For instance, after repairing a favorite toy for the last time, I told my dog that was the last time and gave it to her, expecting to throw it away in 10 minutes. She usually plays hard with it and rips it soon after, usually while playing with the other Aussie. Not this time. She took it gently and trotted away. I found it 30 minutes later - she somehow got into the garage and hid it under a cargo box under my husband's truck.
        Anyway, with the mouthiness- that is normal for all herding breeds. It takes some time and consistency. Depending on his personality, start with a shocked (mock) OW! and pull away. Also if you can, turn your back to him as if you don't want anything to do with him. They love attention and that usually upsets them that you don't even want to look at him. If he is more stubborn (or can take a harsh word -they are very sensitive) a sharp NO! and tap on the snout and quickly stuff something he can chew on into his mouth. They get mouthy while teething and they will grow out of it eventually. Give him a variety of toys he can chew on and two of the best are an old tube sock with a knot tied in the center and a rope of moderate thickness and about 18-24" long. A knot in it is also good.

Recall - some get it right away and some take a long time. My dog Cricket had it down by the time she was 15 weeks old and would dodge through a crowd of puppies and people to get to me when I whistled. Her pup Kimber, now 2 years old, comes... mostly. The best thing to do is get a partner and make a game. One holds the pup a short distance away, about 5-10 feet. The other calls him and acts excited, pat the ground, etc, but make sure they say the pups name and your recall command (come or here or whatever you want). The pup will race over to that person. Lots of pets and good boys. Then the first person does it. Back and forth for 10-15 minutes. Every session, space between you increases. In about 3-4 sessions, he will probably come 80-90% of the time. Always make it fun and lots of petting and 'good boys'. They like to be around their person and the more you let them be with you for everything, the less likely they will wander far and the more likely they will race to you when you call.

With this breed especially, if it is a fun game AND they get lots of petting/rubbing, they learn fast.

Oh, one more thing. He is about to hit a stage where you really should teach him his "off switch". I keep mine in the house so after we have been playing a while, I say, "ok that's enough". Then I sit on the floor and make them lay down with me. As a puppy, they will get up and look for a new game, because laying down is boring. Call him back over, lay down, and pet him gently. Keep this up until he falls asleep. Do this very day. Then when he is an adult no matter if you have had time to exercise him or not, he knows "That's enough" means no more play time.

As far as a trainer in Ft. Worth, what do you want trained? Obedience, herding, ?

Comment

Also, something I have learned since I got Cricket, toys with squeakers tend to teach the dog to be destructive with toys. Avoid squeaky toys and your pocketbook will be grateful. If you have a squeaky toy, then make it a "special" toy by keeping it out of reach until YOU want to play with it. When you are done playing with it, it gets put away so he can't play it anytime he wants.

Comment

Best dogs out there. I’ve learned the hard way that you either have to keep them occupied with something or they’ll get into trouble.

Comment

THANK YOU so much for this detailed bit of advice. I have been blown away by how fast he takes to things without much effort on my end. He has calmed down so much already but I like the whole "off switch" thing. With my last dog I would say shhhhh shhhh and he would be done. I will figure out something like that for him so that my 3 year old daughter can easily do it too. It is amazing watching how well she does with him already, and how attached she is with "her" dog.

I'll get my wife out to work on the recall. My last dog it was a certain whistle and he came running. My wife is terrible at whistling so we will have to change that one!

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
              I've had Australian Shepherds for over 25 years. I have 2 right now. They are scary smart and will learn things very quickly even if you don't want them to.
              For instance, after repairing a favorite toy for the last time, I told my dog that was the last time and gave it to her, expecting to throw it away in 10 minutes. She usually plays hard with it and rips it soon after, usually while playing with the other Aussie. Not this time. She took it gently and trotted away. I found it 30 minutes later - she somehow got into the garage and hid it under a cargo box under my husband's truck.
              Anyway, with the mouthiness- that is normal for all herding breeds. It takes some time and consistency. Depending on his personality, start with a shocked (mock) OW! and pull away. Also if you can, turn your back to him as if you don't want anything to do with him. They love attention and that usually upsets them that you don't even want to look at him. If he is more stubborn (or can take a harsh word -they are very sensitive) a sharp NO! and tap on the snout and quickly stuff something he can chew on into his mouth. They get mouthy while teething and they will grow out of it eventually. Give him a variety of toys he can chew on and two of the best are an old tube sock with a knot tied in the center and a rope of moderate thickness and about 18-24" long. A knot in it is also good.

Recall - some get it right away and some take a long time. My dog Cricket had it down by the time she was 15 weeks old and would dodge through a crowd of puppies and people to get to me when I whistled. Her pup Kimber, now 2 years old, comes... mostly. The best thing to do is get a partner and make a game. One holds the pup a short distance away, about 5-10 feet. The other calls him and acts excited, pat the ground, etc, but make sure they say the pups name and your recall command (come or here or whatever you want). The pup will race over to that person. Lots of pets and good boys. Then the first person does it. Back and forth for 10-15 minutes. Every session, space between you increases. In about 3-4 sessions, he will probably come 80-90% of the time. Always make it fun and lots of petting and 'good boys'. They like to be around their person and the more you let them be with you for everything, the less likely they will wander far and the more likely they will race to you when you call.

With this breed especially, if it is a fun game AND they get lots of petting/rubbing, they learn fast.

Oh, one more thing. He is about to hit a stage where you really should teach him his "off switch". I keep mine in the house so after we have been playing a while, I say, "ok that's enough". Then I sit on the floor and make them lay down with me. As a puppy, they will get up and look for a new game, because laying down is boring. Call him back over, lay down, and pet him gently. Keep this up until he falls asleep. Do this very day. Then when he is an adult no matter if you have had time to exercise him or not, he knows "That's enough" means no more play time.

As far as a trainer in Ft. Worth, what do you want trained? Obedience, herding, ?

Comment

Thank you everyone for the input! I really appreciate anything to make sure that I have as good of an experience with him as possible.

Comment

You bet. message me if you have any issues later or have something unique you want to teach. I know a few trainers, so again, let me know.

I want to stress too, the more you keep him with you, the better he will naturally recall and the less likely he will wander off. If your wife can't whistle, try a loud double hand clap or maybe a peculiar sound that is loud.

Comment

I have a 4yr old Aussie/GSP mix and she is very respectful in the house, she’ll listen when told to settle down but when we’re at the ranch she’ll bolt if not on the leash get it out of her system and then come back and listen to commands, it’s a breed thing.

Comment

Cool

Comment

Working...
                      X